Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've run into something I hadn't seen in the entire time I've been driving cars. This morning, about 20 minutes into my drive to work, the TPMS light pops up and I continue on to work since I'm only a few miles away and let the car sit about 4 hours and go to check the tire pressure on the tires at lunch, figuring I have a nail or something in one of the tires.

When I checked each tire all 4 were at 25.1 to 25.6 PSI (at least according to the basic digital gauge I carry with me), about a month, month and half ago they where at 34 PSI. I know that the cold typically knocks down a few PSI and it did get down to about 2 degrees last night but in the 10 years I have been driving I've never had tires drop that low just from cold air but at the same time it seems insanely unlikely that each tire has a puncture that is leaking at the exact same rate. I popped by a Goodyear store that I've gone to for years and have always gotten pretty good service and they just said it was the cold weather and put some air in them. I just checked them and all 4 are sitting right at 31.5 (it's about 20 degrees out) about 4 hours after they got some air put in them. The car didn't do this last winter, and it's just as cold now as it was then. It's a 2012 SE hatchback with about 35,000 miles and the stock 215/55R16 Continental tires.

So, since I know next to nothing about tires, I'd figure I'd ask here; is all 4 tires dropping to about 25.5 PSI in the cold sound plausible or something someone has had happen to them?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I know you've had some healthy temperature swings out there, how warm was it when you checked them last?

Usually see 5 psi drop from summer to freezing, so another to near zero wouldn't be strange.

Don't usually see the full drop as I'll top things up in the freezing weather knowing they'll be low - puts them in the middle of the range for temp. swings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you've had some healthy temperature swings out there, how warm was it when you checked them last?

Usually see 5 psi drop from summer to freezing, so another to near zero wouldn't be strange.

Don't usually see the full drop as I'll top things up in the freezing weather knowing they'll be low - puts them in the middle of the range for temp. swings.
I'd say it was in the 50's, maybe a bit less when I checked. It was definitely above freezing. It just struck me off guard since last winter the temperature swung around just as crazy as this year, if not more so, and I never ran into this.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nice even pressures, so nothing to worry about.

If they'd gotten to 26 last year you wouldn't have noticed, a pound less to turn the light on & it makes you wonder.

Dropped close to three from the shop to cold at home, and they would still have been fairly cold when topped up there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts