Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new 2012 Candy Apple Red Focus Hatchback last May and noticed a grinding noise when I turned it! The car salesman said it was "Just the new tires breaking in" He said that while I was testing driving it. Well after months of this grinding noise I took it too our local dealer in Ada,Ok and they said the "Strut Bearings wre over torqued" and needed to be replaced. The parts took up to month to come in and after having them replaced guess what! The grinding is back!! Also forget to add I have a awful rattle in my parking brake that they couldnt fix! I would love to return this car and buy something else. It only has just over 1500 miles, Hoping Im not the only one with this problem!

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
"Just the new tires breaking in" my ass.
Was it the same dealer you bought it from? Try a different one. Who knows, maybe they over torqued it on their install [poke]

The parking brake rattling might be a mount on the cable that came loose underneath so the cable is flopping around. But no need to poke around that yourself; complain til it's all fixed to your liking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was making the grinding sound when I test drove it! I asked about it and he said It was the new tires. But the new replacment struts bearings are making the same grinding sound as before! I should have passed on this car so far not a fan!

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
1st model year cars commonly have issues but this one is just bad. I wonder if the european ones are having any of these issues?

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Oh so the handle is rattling inside?
After applying pressure it stops? Does it feel loose if you gently push or tug on it side to side?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I bought a new 2012 Candy Apple Red Focus Hatchback last May and noticed a grinding noise when I turned it! The grinding is back!! Also forget to add I have a awful rattle in my parking brake that they couldnt fix!
Hi yankeelpn,

I know multiple repairs can be frustrating, and I want to help resolve your grinding noise. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can assist in restoring your confidence in the Focus.

~Natasha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the parking brake works fine and isnt loose! Just vibrates when driven and very annoying! Sounds like a Bee hive lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yankeelpn, you are not alone on this one.....

I myself bought a 2012 Focus in February, and a month later, I too had the grinding noise as well as cluncking sound from my front left end of the suspension... took to the dealer, they said it was the strut mount bearing, so they replaced with, I quote verbatum here, with a "better modified set." After replacement, it ran fine, until a last friday when I noticed a similar cluncking sound, yet again. Took it to the dealer today. They told that the sound is coming from front left of the suspension, but they could not pinpoint the problem. Therefore, I am on hold until they get a reply from FORD...

When I asked the guy at the shop, he told that they had a few more of the Focuses coming in with the same issues.... could it be a defective parts batch? Well don't ask me... I am not an expert on mass production of defective struts... Ford might know a thing or two though, considering their complete indifference with the strut spring defects in 1996-2007 Taurus line-ups...

Definitely considering disowning this Gas sipper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear that you have the same problem! I traded in that piece of crap last november and got a new 2011 Ford F150 and wished I bought the truck the first time. Luckily, I didn't lose anything when I traded it in and they paid me almost what I owed on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts