Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am writing on behalf of my friend who bought a 2012 Focus SE after trading my 2011 Fiesta in due to transmission issues. His new Focus is excellent but he fears he may have a problem with my transmission. When he puts the transmission into Sport Mode, there is notice no apparent change in upshifts. The gears do not seem to hold at higher revs than it would in "Drive". Downshifts seem to be different. He has had issues with the Ford dealer and after waiting for several days without a response, I finally got in contact with a Technician who drove the car. The tech stated that there were no obvious problems and the only way to determine if there was an issue was to take data from the car's computer. Currently, he is awaiting a response, but am concerned that they are going to say that there is nothing wrong with the Transmission. I know that my VW Passat and BMW 325xi provides an obvious difference in Sport mode. I am looking for a technical explanation of Sport Mode from Ford that can help his case and have found little, if anything, from Ford. Anything that is not from Ford is not valid, according to the technician. They also said there was nothing they could do with his Fiesta even though they acknowledged the issue (transmission slippage and I acknowledge that it was dangerous to drive). Has anyone had problems with the "S" mode? After several issues with the Fiesta he is highly critical of the problems on this car given the fact that he lost $3k on the Fiesta.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi 2012focus,

Welcome to the forum. If your friend has a concern with his transmission, and the dealer advised it was normal, I suggest having him contact our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800.392.3673. They will be able to provide information to the technician, if necessary. Your friend may also reach out to me on here if he chooses. Please have him private message me with his VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will work with him to resolve his issue.

~Natasha

·
Registered
724 Posts
On my SEL putting the lever in S is for the Select Shift feature that allows you to manually shift the gears up and down with the toggle on the side of the lever. I do believe I recall reading in the owners manual that the computer will over ride the manual shift mode to keep you from doing something that may damage the engine or tranny but S is not an automatic shift mode.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
I will work with him to resolve his issue.

~Natasha
We've seen she will, so have him register and contact Natasha through PM. Just click on her screen name, and a window will pop up with "Contact by PM" as one option.

Good luck repairing it, I hope Ford figures out all the issues with this new transmission. I'd like to see it become a solid and reliable replacement for the hydraulic automatics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. He is going to receive word on the car sometime this week and will promptly post a reply. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot,

Thanks for confirming my ability to assist! I'm sure a new poster may be a bit skeptical, and that helps reassure them. [:)]

2012focus,

I hope the dealer is able to quickly resolve your friend's concerns! Please let us know. Have a great weekend!

~Natasha

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
On my SEL putting the lever in S is for the Select Shift feature that allows you to manually shift the gears up and down with the toggle on the side of the lever. I do believe I recall reading in the owners manual that the computer will over ride the manual shift mode to keep you from doing something that may damage the engine or tranny but S is not an automatic shift mode.
Hi Dgc333,

You are correct that there is an override to prevent engine damage. The following information is on page 276 of the owner's manual:

The transmission first enters sport mode when moving the gearshift lever to S. Once the gearshift lever toggle switch is activated in sport mode, the transmission enters the manual mode with the gear illuminated on the instrument cluster. In sport mode, the transmission operates as normal, but gears are selected more quickly and at higher engine speeds. In sport mode, S will be displayed on the instrument cluster. In order to prevent the engine from running at too low an RPM, which may cause it to stall, the SST will still automatically make some downshifts if it has determined that you have not downshifted in time. Although the SST will make some downshifts for you, it will still allow you to downshift at any time as long as the SST determines that the engine will not be damaged from over-revving. The SST will automatically upshift if the engine reaches maximum RPM and the driver has not selected the proper gear for vehicle speed to help prevent engine damage caused by excessive over-revving.

~Natasha

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well I have been driving it in S mode and will likely not use D at all in the future. The engine feels more relaxed, when cruising it shifts around 3500 rpm and it doesn't go into 6th if you are below 50 mph. It much more readily down shifts when you give it gas and will down shift to provide some engine breaking if you have your foot off the gas. It shifts much more like how you would shift a manual.

The wife and I went out to dinner last night and put about 50 miles on the car and the mpg average actually climbed from 34.7 to 35.2 so there doesn't seem to be a gas mileage penalty for using S mode.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well this is just a theory or really an opinion, the problem you are having is it is an automatic transmission. i have always herd that the auto's were a bit sluggish, i even test drove one and i found it sluggish, very sluggish. i know someone will make a nasty comment but if you wanna be sportier in your new focus see if you can trade it for a manual

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
According to the manual excerpt earlier in this thread.

You can get into 6 with D, S stops at 5, so if you shift down from 6 in S mode you'll have to go back to D to get into 6 again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts