Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious the owners' manual usually has such info, but mine has no spark plug model number for the 2012 Focus direct injection engine.
Is it a special plug due to having direct injection?
Curious.
Like looking at tires, and changing oil sooner than needed, changing spark plugs to some fasionable brand (usually bosch) is one of my favorite activites..
[:p]

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just logged into Fordparts.com under my vin # and the spark plug (under parts / ignition / secondary ignition) is listed as a
"Part Name: Spark Plug; Motorcraft Part Number: 12405 (SP-522)". I hope this helps!

[cheers]

·
Registered
157 Posts
i went to my local ford parts and got the number but local parts stores are not smart enough to cross reference Motorcraft with other brands same with air filters and oil filters....

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went to my local ford parts and got the number but local parts stores are not smart enough to cross reference Motorcraft with other brands same with air filters and oil filters....
Too new. maybe by next year they will have a cross reference.
I might try some internet sites to get a cross ref.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is weird! Maybe the expected life is so great that they do not have any plans on selling them for a few years...
I would think that plugs would be common to many vehicles.

I bought a WIX brand oil filter after one week, and had NO problem. Auto parts store had it on the shelf, so I walked out with it. Maybe I'll call on Monday to see if they cross reference plugs for it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Why are you buying oil filters and spark plugs on such a new car?
Hi, I wondered why as well as on my car the spark plugs don't need replacing until the 3 year, or 37500 mile service.
Chris

·
Registered
788 Posts
Actually, according to the Owner's Guide, the scheduled maintenance for the NA 2.0 Duratec spark plugs is 100,000 miles. As with the 10,000 mile oil change interval, I won't wait that long, maybe 50,000-70,000 miles or if the car starts running rough or I see a significant drop in fuel economy. If someone wants to change out their plugs before the scheduled mileage, that's up to them, just doesn't seem necessary.
The FL910S is the same filter used on my 2010 Fusion, 2.5L Duratec, it's been around a while.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If there is a new part like a spark plug, sometimes it takes a few months for the aftermarket to catch up. I am also reluctant to rely on the cross reference charts and would rather see a listing in that manufacturer's catalog for my application.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That is weird! Maybe the expected life is so great that they do not have any plans on selling them for a few years...
I would think that plugs would be common to many vehicles.

I bought a WIX brand oil filter after one week, and had NO problem. Auto parts store had it on the shelf, so I walked out with it. Maybe I'll call on Monday to see if they cross reference plugs for it.
The oil filter had been around since the early 80's. The first application of that filter used on the 2012 Focus was the 2.2 Mopar 4cyl.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why are you buying oil filters and spark plugs on such a new car?
I always change over to Mobil1. Long before the manufacturers recommended oil change interval.
Last new vehicle (2002 Dodge) was changed over at 500 miles, and now has 150,000 and still running strong!

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are special plugs. They have a very long threaded area. They are also Iridium plugs. Iridium barely wears at all. Unless you develope a misfire due to a bad plug or coil, 100,000 mile replacement might be overkill. I like the Autolite XP plugs. I also use only Amsoil in my cars, and they do not list a filter for that car yet, but looking at 2011 I found the correct filter. I would stay with the factory plugs till the aftermarket releases the correct plugs. I do NOT recomment the Bosch +4 plugs though. I have seen too many problems with them in various cars. So you all know, I am an ASE Master Tech.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The Mobil-1 Synthetic oil filter for the 2012 Focus is #M1-102 .
Is this necessary? Or can I stick with the Motorcraft oil filter with Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic oil? I'll probably be changing my oil to synthetic any day now...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this necessary? Or can I stick with the Motorcraft oil filter with Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic oil? I'll probably be changing my oil to synthetic any day now...
I would say this is a personal preference. I used Mobil1 oil with a Mobil1 Filter on my old Focus at 3k intervals. Once the car hit 30k, I started using MMO in the oil as well. Car ran like a champ till the end...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Necessary, no... prefer YES (in my option), why use better oil & not a better filter (made just for that oil)??? [dunno]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say this is a personal preference. I used Mobil1 oil with a Mobil1 Filter on my old Focus at 3k intervals. Once the car hit 30k, I started using MMO in the oil as well. Car ran like a champ till the end...
I have been using Amsoil in all my cars, the first being a 77 Maverick. It was installed in all my new cars (85 Mustang GT, 88 Taurus LX, 94 Cougar XR-7, 2000 Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, and now my 12 Focus). All these cars had 25k oil drains (except the Excursion, which went over 100k on its oil drains), and all the engines NEVER had a problem. If you haven't tried it, you should. Thier products are the highest quality (and if you didn't know, it came out 4 years before Mobil 1). They make thier own filters too. Check it out at www.amsoil.com.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts