Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 24 hours and more than a foot of snow this is Nov. 11 and day 2 of the Marquette winter.
On stock steelies and Continental ExtremeContact DWS she did much better than expected. Only got stuck going in and out of plowed in parking spaces bottoming out.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow I'm surprised you have that much. We've gotten nothing in upstate NY so far in terms of snow. I'm sorta looking forward to it so I can see how my '09 with Michelin Ice-X's does in the snow. This will be the first year I've driven it in the winter. I'm going to miss the snow tires + RWD of my Mustang. Donuts are fun. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jah definitely felt. The past two days were my first experiences driving FWD in snow. I was in a 2002 Ram 4x4 for the last 4 years. Can't say I'm not loving the e-brake though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice to know the DWS work well on a Focus in the snow. I've spent many-a-winter in and around Northern MI but now am routinely facing elevation changes in my commute.

I just bought a set of DWS a few weeks ago in lieu of getting 4 new winter tires. I was in need of new tires and didn't want to pay for 2 sets on the Focus when I'm putting a new set of winters on the wife's car...so I compromised.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to know the DWS work well on a Focus in the snow. I've spent many-a-winter in and around Northern MI but now am routinely facing elevation changes in my commute.

I just bought a set of DWS a few weeks ago in lieu of getting 4 new winter tires. I was in need of new tires and didn't want to pay for 2 sets on the Focus when I'm putting a new set of winters on the wife's car...so I compromised.
I was in the exact same boat. Snow tires were highly wanted but just not in the budget. As mentioned earlier I'm very happy with the DWS both on dry roads, on two-tracks, and in the snow. I think they're a perfect compromise. I do tend to turn the traction control off unless I have to plow through deep snow simply because I've been driving a 2002 ram since I started driving so I like to have my foot in control, not the computer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was in the exact same boat. Snow tires were highly wanted but just not in the budget. As mentioned earlier I'm very happy with the DWS both on dry roads, on two-tracks, and in the snow. I think they're a perfect compromise. I do tend to turn the traction control off unless I have to plow through deep snow simply because I've been driving a 2002 ram since I started driving so I like to have my foot in control, not the computer.
I've only had a chance to shake them down on wet roadways and boy do they have some grip. I hate that the treadwear is only 50k miles. I kind of almost wish I went with the PureContact DWS with a 70k treadwear.

I'm actually excited for the first snow just to really give them a go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only had a chance to shake them down on wet roadways and boy do they have some grip. I hate that the treadwear is only 50k miles. I kind of almost wish I went with the PureContact DWS with a 70k treadwear.

I'm actually excited for the first snow just to really give them a go.
Quite honestly just now was my first encounter with the PureContact. I did a search for the best all-season tires for snow and the ExtremeContact was second on the list and a much better price range plus way easier for me to get ahold of.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Damn I'm just in Ontario, no snow here yet and I'm still on my all season Nitto Motivo's. I did however remove my coilovers and put my stock suspension back in. Last year I drove on stock black pack wheels with General Altimax Arctic tires and I was really impressed how the car did in the snow

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Wow I'm surprised you have that much. We've gotten nothing in upstate NY so far in terms of snow. I'm sorta looking forward to it so I can see how my '09 with Michelin Ice-X's does in the snow. This will be the first year I've driven it in the winter. I'm going to miss the snow tires + RWD of my Mustang. Donuts are fun. :D
Since you want it so bad hopefully it will all pass over Buffalo and dump on you. [deviltail]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last winter was the worst in many years here in Cleveland. My 2012 focus s got me through it very nicely, then one of the first nice spring days a lady ran a red light and totalled it, murphys law. Driving a 2014 focus se now, still a snow virgin. One thing I have noticed is my new car heater seems to warm up a lot faster than the 2012 did. Did ford change anything on that, or is it my imagination?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Last winter was the worst in many years here in Cleveland. My 2012 focus s got me through it very nicely, then one of the first nice spring days a lady ran a red light and totalled it, murphys law. Driving a 2014 focus se now, still a snow virgin. One thing I have noticed is my new car heater seems to warm up a lot faster than the 2012 did. Did ford change anything on that, or is it my imagination?
Maybe it's just because you haven't driven it in the cold yet? haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
No longer a snow virgin, had my first taste of real winter driving tonight, and it still heated up faster. Also noticed the traction control on the 2014 seemed smoother and less "Jerky" than the 2012 did.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you get a chance to use the stock tires in the snow since you have a 2012? I am wondering how they are going to handle it. It's my first winter in the Focus. How do you turn the trac. control off? Would that be better?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Photos taken out by Presque Isle? Some winter days I do miss my FX4 Ranger, which was a beast in the snow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So much for that...well, south of the city anyhow. Basically have had none here. It melted; almost mowed the grass/leaves today one last time.

Since you want it so bad hopefully it will all pass over Buffalo and dump on you. [deviltail]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you get a chance to use the stock tires in the snow since you have a 2012? I am wondering how they are going to handle it. It's my first winter in the Focus. How do you turn the trac. control off? Would that be better?
The 2012 did ok with stock tires. I Liked the traction control most of the time. on the S I had there was no way to turn it off. Service told me to just use Low gear if i wanted to not use it.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
So much for that...well, south of the city anyhow. Basically have had none here. It melted; almost mowed the grass/leaves today one last time.
I got extremely lucky. I'm between the city and Niagara Falls. I saw like 3 inches total at my place and it all melted yesterday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts