Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone forward and switched out their Manual shift knob on a SE or S 2012 Focus? If so how did you finally detach the knob from the boot? Thanks in advance.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
I haven't sat in a 2012 yet. But my guess if it doesn't unscrew, it has a slot on the back side of the shift knob (Facing radio) which has a retaining clip you half to pull out you should be able to use a flat head screw driver to pull it out if that don't work Ford prolly sells a tool. You may even be able to get something through a parts store too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dudes, luckily enough I work for Ford so I have access to any tools and or parts. Here's what I've discovered, it does unscrew if you secure the bottom of the boot with your hand. After that the boot still remains attached to the shift knob, so there's gotta be some sort of o-ring or rubber ring that keeps it attached and I don't want to just yank it off or stretch the boot so I might have to expose the shifter itself to get the inside.

Hurst shifter looks sick if you have the right color car, held one over my shift knob and the white just didn't seem right with the Blue Candy Metallic color so I went with a dojo... http://www.dojoperformance.com/images/shiftknob-lg-53300.jpg ...it's cleaner and matches up with the brushed accents in the car. Also if you want to accessorize the exterior, get on a Thule rack, had one on my last car and it makes the new Focus look a lot tougher.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I'm waiting to hear how to remove the boot, I'll admit I'm afraid of damaging anything even slightly on a 5-day old car.

Does anyone know the thread pitch for the knob?

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Anyone figure this out yet?

·
Registered
542 Posts
The MTX-75 just screws off...you have to turn it real hard at first, then there are like 100 threads to turn it around. This is how it was in my '09

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
How about getting the boot off? That's what I'm curious about.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The boot is made to the bezel. The bezel is held in place in the corners with those little push clips (that are made to the trim) I used a plastic wedge to get in the corners one at a time to gently pop it loose. Took some effort but it came out.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I gently started working at popping the trim out but long story short it's still in place. It was sounding like I was at risk of damaging it. You used a wedge you said? Any pictures of the piece out of the console?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The clips are roughly in each corner, get em started and you can pop the ring upward. Pull the boot upwards inside out and spin off the knob. I installed the illuminated shift knob by gaslock offered by Ford. Look at your brochure for factory accessories. Once I figure out how to post pics I will do a write up. BTW I think one could run a die down the shifter threads and cut off the top of the stick. Poor mans short shifter lol I have the directions Ford sent me, I could fax them to someone from work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The clips are roughly in each corner, get em started and you can pop the ring upward. Pull the boot upwards inside out and spin off the knob. I installed the illuminated shift knob by gaslock offered by Ford. Look at your brochure for factory accessories. Once I figure out how to post pics I will do a write up. BTW I think one could run a die down the shifter threads and cut off the top of the stick. Poor mans short shifter lol I have the directions Ford sent me, I could fax them to someone from work.
use a sight like imgur, and post your pics to it, and then use the photo link button to link to your imgur site.

i am curious to see these photos

·
Registered
55 Posts
This may take a bit, I'll keep working on it. I'm not real fly with computer stuff lol. More of an engine/tranny/axle kinda guy.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I went ahead and took mine apart tonight to figure it out. Pictures and a mini write-up coming.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Added a new shift knob today!

Had the guy at my work's tool shop drill 12 x 1.25 so it would fit correctly. I will update the pictures when I get a chance to take a picture of it.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Would a mustang shift knob work on the focus? What's the focus' thread size?
Twenty measured the thread pitch at 12 x 1.25.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
In case anyone was wondering...

I was told by Chris over at Lathewerks that the 2012 Focus' thread size matches that of the STi. So, you can cross shop STi shift knobs too!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
In case anyone was wondering...

I was told by Chris over at Lathewerks that the 2012 Focus' thread size matches that of the STi. So, you can cross shop STi shift knobs too!
It's best to shop by thread pitch as you'll come up with a ton more results. Nice stripe btw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts