1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just looking to see resolution.......
Here is my Focus story...

50K on an SFE and we had seen some shudder etc, but not what I would call excessive.

We start getting check engine lights, read the codes and get the following:
P0219 Engine over speed
P2832 Shift Fork A Position/Range Performance
P285E Shift fork A Accuator High.
Transmission performance issue, service trans now message

The car exhibits the following behaviors:
1) Issues come and go
a) driving down the road, and then, it be haves like its in nutral, hit the gas, and tach goes up, nothing going to the drive train
b) at other times, it seems to skip shifting into 2nd and 4th gears, then you get the sensation of clutch slip as it goes into 3rd or 5th, odly enough, 6th gear did seem to function.

Whats been done:
1) had the TSB reburn/program done, helped with the shudder but later the above symptoms began to appear.
2) had seals replaced, and clutch plates I believe

3) two weeks after cluch and seal replacement, more of the same codes, and finally the Trans performance message, service trans now.

Car is currently back at the dealer for further diagnoses, I will keep you all posted as to how it progresses.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
I'll move this to a MkIII section for warranty/TSB issues.

Who read those codes? (before & after the recent repair)

Two possibilities I can think of, first is that with all the "shudder" issues that TSB was the only work performed, and the original issue with the actuator was still there. Second would be that the reprogramming after clutch install wasn't successfully done after the new clutches were installed, that seems less likely from the codes you mentioned.

Clutch work was needed with a leaking seal & shudder over the maximum allowed, sounds like they thought that fixed the whole issue.

Luck getting it fixed this time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll move this to a MkIII section for warranty/TSB issues.

Who read those codes? (before & after the recent repair)
<<<<Friend has a shop and a snap-on scanner. Pulled in and had it read right after the check engine light came on.
<<<<<<<

Two possibilities I can think of, first is that with all the "shudder" issues that TSB was the only work performed, and the original issue with the actuator was still there. Second would be that the reprogramming after clutch install wasn't successfully done after the new clutches were installed, that seems less likely from the codes you mentioned.

Clutch work was needed with a leaking seal & shudder over the maximum allowed, sounds like they thought that fixed the whole issue.

Luck getting it fixed this time.

<<<<<
The codes appeared long after the TSB reprogram/burn was done. The codes would come and then clear and everything would work fine for a while.

clutch and seals were replaced by the dealer a couple weeks ago, ran well, no issues/no lights for about 10 days.. Then driving at about 50mph, car behaved like it was in neutral, check engine came on, had to pull over to the shoulder (.coast/glide as no power to the wheels..) and Microsoft fix the car (reboot/restart).. Trans would "reset" and we could drive again.

still waiting on dealer diagnosis and next actions.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Just judging from how other codes are read, "actuator high" would likely refer to an electrical fault in the actuator or it's wiring. Position/Range performance might mean the position isn't reading as commanded. The engine speed high would be a result of it's not being in gear as it should be.

Popped out of gear due to an electrical fault would be my uneducated guess. Fault cleared itself & you reset the system to start afresh - all OK until the fault reoccurs.

Hopefully they can find the fault & get it repaired quickly for you. Electrical intermittents can be tough to confirm & repair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There have been multiple calibration updates for both of those codes, we can only hope they actually updated the pcm instead of skipping that step. Otherwise I would check and clean the ground as shown in my video. Those grounds were causing the same codes in the fiestas because of the ground. If those two check out and the adaptive shift drum learn was done properly, then it needs a TCM.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Then the actuator is within the TCM(Inside).
thanks
The shift forks and actuators are inside the transmission. The shift motors are built into the TCM.

The clutch actuator levers are inside the bell housing. The clutch actuator motors mount to the outside of the transmission case, separately from the TCM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Turn the shift actuator by hand for clutch "a". it is on top of the transmission near the air filter box. It takes a special socket from ford but i've seen people fit a torx in it. If you can turn it by hand without it sticking/binding its likely a TCM problem. Otherwise, obviously it'll need at least a new clutch and shift lever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts