Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. First post :)

I'm looking to replace the original tires with something a bit beefier. What is the largest tires I can fit on the stock 17" rims (215/50/17) without issues?

235/45/17 appear to fit and should not change the circumference enough to worry about.

Anyone running 245/45/17 tires on stock rims without issues?

Would love to see some pics of 2012+ Focus with both those on stock rims.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You do know that performance is reduced with oversize/width tires?

215/45-17 on my 17" X 7" rims maxes out the width that works, 205 for me wouldn't be bad (alternative size).

Summer Performance rubber would be better, and change the look up as well considering your location (all season hardly needed).

·
Registered
580 Posts
i'm running 225/50-17 on my 17x7" (aftermarket) wheels without ill effects. the measuring rim for this size of Continental DW is 7" wide anyway.

stock 17" wheels are narrower, no? i thought they were 6 or 6.5" so a 215 is probably as far as you want to go. check the measuring rim spec on the tires you're interested in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to go with Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 225/45ZR17.

The diameter is about 0.4" smaller versus the stock tires (25" vs 25.4).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Smart

Keeping the diameter close & the width reasonable works MUCH better than something that doesn't come close to fitting right.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Goodyear eagle authority tires I'm running 215/45/17 are very beefy on the tread and are slightly taller than the hankook ventus v4's i was running.
The V4's made my speedometer about 1 to1.5 mph slow through their life according to my gps.
The Goodyear eagle authority are spot on with the speedometer and gps right now, probably as the tires wear the speedometer reading will no doubt get slower but will see?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Smokey - the 215/45-17's are a perfect fit for our pre-'12 cars, the '12+ uses a slightly larger diameter stock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi All. First post :)

I'm looking to replace the original tires with something a bit beefier. What is the largest tires I can fit on the stock 17" rims (215/50/17) without issues?

235/45/17 appear to fit and should not change the circumference enough to worry about.

Anyone running 245/45/17 tires on stock rims without issues?

Would love to see some pics of 2012+ Focus with both those on stock rims.
Yeah, it will be wiser to keep rolling on stock sizes for that rim. If you go to something like a 235, you will be getting some wonky handling characteristics. It also may prove to be a safety concern in certain situations. If you want wider tires, pick up a set of 8-inch-wide-minimum rims to go to a 235.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it will be wiser to keep rolling on stock sizes for that rim. If you go to something like a 235, you will be getting some wonky handling characteristics. It also may prove to be a safety concern in certain situations. If you want wider tires, pick up a set of 8-inch-wide-minimum rims to go to a 235.
After considering all the advice and looking at the profile of the 225/45/17, I've decided to stay stock and go with a set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 in 215/50/17. Will post back with a quick review when they are installed.

Thanks to all who posted.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Focus EV comes with 225/50/17s - there are many tires to choose from in that size

From my informal research, it seems that wider-tired cars (EV, ST, Titanium with 18" handling pack rims) also have a steering limiter. I wonder if anything wider than 215s have the potential to rub

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Focus EV comes with 225/50/17s - there are many tires to choose from in that size

From my informal research, it seems that wider-tired cars (EV, ST, Titanium with 18" handling pack rims) also have a steering limiter. I wonder if anything wider than 215s have the potential to rub
Interesting that an EV would come with fairly wide tires. They must have a really low rolling resistance compound.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I see but will the rub? I like a more aggressive stance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts