Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I could swap a 2013 ST exhaust system for a stock 2012 focus SEL exhaust system? Visible difference is rear tip location. I can work with that. Not looking for performance just have opportunity.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Do you have a sedan or a hatch. Sedan is 6-7 inches longer. So to add ST exhaust to a sedan, you need to extend after the rear axle just before the muffler. Hatch is a straight bolt-on

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Then it should bolt straight on

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Stock S, SE, SEL, and Ti are 2 inch. ST is 2.5 inch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So looks like I would need a pipe adapter? Or maybe not. Its looking like the pipe flange off of the cat back is the same.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
So looks like I would need a pipe adapter? Or maybe not. Its looking like the pipe flange off of the cat back is the same.
Sorry, there is just one thing that I forgot to mention. You need to cut and rotate the flange so that the resonator is straight. The ST flange is rotated a bit

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Sorry, there is just one thing that I forgot to mention. You need to cut and rotate the flange so that the resonator is straight. The ST flange is rotated a bit
Correction the flange is the same part, but because the downpipe off of the turbocharger is rotated around 45 degrees from horizontal v.s the mani-catalyast on the N/A the rest of the pipe behind the flange for the ST exhaust is rotated to tuck under the car properly, otherwise then the pipes get modified as stated. [race]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the helpful info. I am getting a deal ($150.00) on a 2014 ST stock exhaust.
Thought it would be fun to have it on my SEL. Seems like one afternoon Mod.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Yeah that's what people generally sell them for

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Definitely SS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought it because it was new 300 miles on it. But the owner cut the system to get it out faster. May just use rear muffler with tips. Pretty disappointed. I heard I may be able to buy just lower part of rear bumper to fit tips. If not cut and modify.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
You can't remove the system without cutting it

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
So for practicality, everything I have said is still true right?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
You can't remove the system without cutting it
That's not true, you could drop the rear subframe and suspension to pull the exhaust in the reverse of factory assembly, but almost no one is going to do this.

So in practice at least one cut needed to be made to remove the exhaust, and a second cut needs to be made to rotate the pipe behind the catalyst / downpipe flange and then reweld or clamp it together to make it fit.

I bought it because it was new 300 miles on it. But the owner cut the system to get it out faster. May just use rear muffler with tips. Pretty disappointed. I heard I may be able to buy just lower part of rear bumper to fit tips. If not cut and modify.
You almost have to cut it to get it out of the car. That's perfectly normal. Don't be disappointed. It was a brand new take off system already half modified to work for your car.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
So for practicality, everything I have said is still true right?
Which is why I said it's not the only way, just the most common one.

It is not a pure bolt on system for the N/A GDI, but it's not that difficult to modify once it's cut just ahead of the rear axle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts