Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy gang. I have a key question that I can't seem to figure out (even after having browsed this forum, and a general google search).

I have a 2012 Focus SE that I bought from Carmax. It came with one 4 button keyfob key (lock, unlock, panic button, and trunk release). It also came with one standard key (no fob), and what I believe to be a valet key.

Yesterday, I lost the keys I have with me daily. My four button key fob/key was on this set, however, my non-fob key, and my valet key, were not on it (thus I still have them both).

I would like to get another keyfob with door unlocks, but I am a bit confused about my options.

Can I buy a key-less fob and program it to my car, and simply have it on the same keyring as the non-fob spare key I already have? Do I need to buy a replacement fob blank, and have it milled somewhere locally? Something else altogether? I read about needing at least 2 original keys to reprogram...would the valet key count as a key in this sense? (not sure about chips inside keys)

Basically, my end goal is just to get back to where I was before I lost my key :p. I move a lot of boxes in and out of my car daily, so I really would like to have the 4 button fob back in some fashion. It is a pain to have to always go to my driver door to get into my car (since the driver door is the only door with an actual lock for my spare key to go into). Additionally, I am always "losing" my car in parking lots, so I use the fob buttons to "beep" my car often.

I called a few dealers in town, and I got a range of 250 to 270. I then stopped in a few auto shops, and I was given a number for a mobile locksmith company that does work in town. That company quoted me 130 for everything (this includes the 4 button keyed fob, driving out to my work, and reprogramming everything). However, the "need 2 original keys to reprogram" thing makes me think this wouldn't work (even though I specially mentioned the two key thing to the locksmith employee on the phone, and she assured me that they could get everything working even without the original 4 button fob/key).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I got an all in one key/fob on eBay for my wife's car, had Lowes cut it and had the ford dealer program it. I dont remember the price but wasn't anywhere near $250.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts