Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so impressed with the look and reviews of the new focus I went out and bought 2. Both SE's 1 standard and 1 with the sport package. Day 1 with the SE sport the radiator overflow blew a hose and leaked fluid all over my driveway. Then 2 weeks later the sensor in the passenger seatbelt went and had to be replaced. 2 days after picking up the standard SE a rattle appeared in the passenger door and it had to be brought in to be fixed. I discounted these problems and tried to convince my wife that we made a good purchase. No more, yesterday while driving home the transmission in the starndard model went on the highway. This car has less than 4000 miles on it! I am pretty upset about this. This is the first time I have bought an American car since the early 90's. I feel like I threw away over $40K on 2 unreliable cars that I will be stuck with. Thanks Ford!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I understand the concerns and you're entirely justified in being angry and upset. But let Ford try to fix their problems with your vehicles before passing judgment harshly. Rattles happen, it's a cheap car, my SEL has rattles, my last $24k Mazdaspeed 3 had rattles. They happen.

Transmission issue is a different story. Haven't heard of any standards having issues, just seen a lot of praise for them. Could be a one-off situation, or it might be something to look into for other people as well.

As far as the radiator hose, well, parts like that are installed by people, not machines. Could have been put on just a bit loose, enough not to fail before quite a bit. Who knows.

I'm just asking that you take an approach unlike most on this forum with big issues, let your dealership and Ford fix the problem before passing judgment rather than jumping on here to spread the negativity before letting them resolve their issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you might have misunderstood me. I meant standard as in not a sport package. The car has the auto trans. I get it that they are cheap cars but they still needs to be some quality control. I have owned over 20 cars and have never seen anything like this. Some of those cars were cheap and some were not. The price of a new cars should not determine the basic quality in which they are built. American cars have had problems just because of quality issues. This is supposed to be their big return to the market with better quality and reliability.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Odd that you would have all of these problems, I have had zero. Let your dealer look at it and try not to be discouraged immediately. Remember, cars have warranties for a reason.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. My 2012 Focus SEL has 5,500 miles on it and has been problem free - - never been back to the dealer. I LOVE driving it and LOVE the great fuel economy - - averaging over 35 MPG!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I sell these cars and can report zero problems on any that i have sold. Great cars!
I'm not a salesmen, so I don't know how it works.....do you guys really know how reliable a vehicle is? Do you get reports from the Service Department?
I have three "issues" with my 2012, which are slowly ( due to human errors at the dealership ) being resolved. I understand that new cars can have breakdowns. Sometimes it's the customer who doesn't know how things on the car work, sometimes not. It's not that bad things happen, because they do, it's what the vendor does to fix the "bad things" that is important.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do work very close with our sevice dept. And have great feedback from all my focus customers. Usually if there is a problem I hear about it first before it gets to service. I hope your Dealer can take care of your problems. Vehicles today have so many components that even a one percent chance of something going wrong equals about 100 diff. parts.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Blows my mind that someone can come on here and have MAJOR falures in BOTH his brand new 2012 Focus, and here come the defenders right away and try to minimize the situation. "OH, that was human error.....OH that's a one-off".

Wake up. It is NOT NORMAL for new cars to have major failures. Doesn't matter WHAT the failure is or how it happened, it's still a failure. Yes, warranty will fix them for 3 years, but that's beside the point. You buy a new car to not have to worry about taking it to the shop every month. Just as you guys are saying we are a small percentage of ownership on this forum and these problems are one offs, there is a high percentage of people with failures that don't post here that we never hear about. So you have no idea judging either side, if the 2012 Focus has more issues than normal.

If you didn't read this in my other posts. I will say it again. My first car, built in April, has many issues you can read in my threads. Then another sold to a Ford employee at my dealer had a the steering rack issue. Then a replacement Focus I was driving (built in October) has the steering rack issue out of the box, which now they cant get a replacement part for. Then the Focus "S" I was driving while the replacement Focus was in the shop, the radio failed at 300 miles. This is at a very small dealer which statistically is not good.

I owned a brand new 2010 Fusion Sport AWD with every option. BLIS, NAV, moonroof, sony radio, etc. NOT one major failure in 38K miles of ownership. Flawless car. And the relibility polls show, Fusion is on the top. Focus won't be there for a long time until they get their act straight, and it's hurting the company until then.

Man you guys have thick heads.

·
Registered
416 Posts
csvt2060: Totally agree there are those ready to reply to reported issues with how good their car is doing, but I see that simply as fellow Focus owners trying to encourage the newbies in hopes there's still a gem hidden under their initial problems.

On the flip side however, there are the others laying in wait to heap a bunch of negativity down and berate everything.

Isn't it better to help the new owners through their issues and try to help them enjoy their car rather than poisoning their dreams and making them feel they're cursed for life?

Thankfully I haven't experienced the major issues you and some others have, but if I had, I would hope that I would try to share my experiences with others to help them not have to go through the same traumas.

It's always better to be a help than a hinderance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is really troubling to hear the many reports of mutiple and major failures among some new Focus owners. It would be constructive to know when these problem cars were built. Aside from chronic MFT issues, many of the reported problems appear to be initial failures and I wonder if most of these cases apply to early production examples.

Aside from paint and panel fit issues, my car has been trouble free since delivery Aug 26(built Aug 8)....however I only have about 2400 miles so it really is too early to tell if problems will appear down the road. One reason I purchased the 2012 Focus is that my previous 2001 model was quite reliable for ten years and 129k miles.

I am not implying that early production is an excuse for more defects, but I am trying to figure out the inconsistencies in owner experiences reported on this forum.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Man that just sucks! I have two myself and I'd be miffed if I had that happen to me! My car doesn't get driven much so I have only 700 mi on it but I hope I don't have issues. I did get the extended warranty thinking maybe I'll be lucky and have it be a waste of money! What exactly happened with the trans? was it mechanical or software related? Sheesh, some people get no luck with these cars and others seem to have all the luck! (hope I am one of the lucky ones, but feel sorry for you and others who have not been so fortunate.) Let us know how this all works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man that just sucks! I have two myself and I'd be miffed if I had that happen to me! My car doesn't get driven much so I have only 700 mi on it but I hope I don't have issues. I did get the extended warranty thinking maybe I'll be lucky and have it be a waste of money! What exactly happened with the trans? was it mechanical or software related? Sheesh, some people get no luck with these cars and others seem to have all the luck! (hope I am one of the lucky ones, but feel sorry for you and others who have not been so fortunate.) Let us know how this all works out for you.
The trans was acting strange from the start. I was getting some vibrations between shifts and a some lag at initial take off. I was going to bring it in but the service guy convinced me that because of the dual clutch and fuzzy logic that I just needed to get used to it so I cancelled my appt. the next day on the highway it started going back and forth between gears then it just lost all torque. I could floor it and it would stay pinned at 5500 rpm and not gain any speed. I finally got to a stop light and when I took off the motor sat at 5500 again and the car slowly rolled foward and the trans was making some odd clunking noises. I am still waiting for the dealer to call back to find out exactly what happened. I am not trying to make ford sound bad and I've never posted to a forum but this is bad. I am worried because I own 2 2012's and can't afford to get rid of them and buy something different.

·
Registered
772 Posts
csvt2060: Totally agree there are those ready to reply to reported issues with how good their car is doing, but I see that simply as fellow Focus owners trying to encourage the newbies in hopes there's still a gem hidden under their initial problems.

On the flip side however, there are the others laying in wait to heap a bunch of negativity down and berate everything.

Isn't it better to help the new owners through their issues and try to help them enjoy their car rather than poisoning their dreams and making them feel they're cursed for life?

Thankfully I haven't experienced the major issues you and some others have, but if I had, I would hope that I would try to share my experiences with others to help them not have to go through the same traumas.

It's always better to be a help than a hinderance.
Yes, I agree that it's good to help someone. It doesn't help someone to say their issue is a one-off or brush it off as human error, so no biggie. They can't say that in confidence because they don't know the true failure rate is. So just because they haven't heard of it or experienced it or "it's under warranty" doesn't make it less of a failure.

It also doesn't help to say "well my car hasn't had any problems, it's perfect" It almost comes off FF members think people posting here with problems are just trying to "tarnish" the Ford Focus name. I think that's far from the truth in MOST cases.

Believe it or not, I used to be a big Ford "defender" and "follower". I was forced into reality with the ownership of my 2012 Focus. I didn't see it coming....this car has change my viewpoint of the company possibly permantely, mostly in pure disappointment of failure rates and how ford is dealing with those issues and it's customers.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Gullible?
Who even knows if anyone here actually own a Ford Focus.
Maybe all the detractors with problems are Toyota employees dishing dirt?
Maybe all the gushers loving the Focus are just Ford employees lavishing prase on a chunk of crap.

I am just curious how it all works.. [neener]

maybe i do not even exist?

·
Registered
800 Posts
The trans was acting strange from the start. I was getting some vibrations between shifts and a some lag at initial take off. I was going to bring it in but the service guy convinced me that because of the dual clutch and fuzzy logic that I just needed to get used to it so I cancelled my appt. the next day on the highway it started going back and forth between gears then it just lost all torque. I could floor it and it would stay pinned at 5500 rpm and not gain any speed. I finally got to a stop light and when I took off the motor sat at 5500 again and the car slowly rolled foward and the trans was making some odd clunking noises. I am still waiting for the dealer to call back to find out exactly what happened. I am not trying to make ford sound bad and I've never posted to a forum but this is bad. I am worried because I own 2 2012's and can't afford to get rid of them and buy something different.
That sounds like more than just programing. I'd suspect there is a problem with the clutch and the computer is trying to correct it and making it even worse than it is. Hopefully it is a simple mechanical issue and a reboot of the trans computer software will get it all sorted for you. I wish you all the luck and a speedy return to enjoyment of your new cars! Let us know how it turns out, I'd like to know the outcome of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They can't say that in confidence because they don't know the true failure rate is.

this car has change my viewpoint of the company possibly permantely, mostly in pure disappointment of failure rates .
????

·
Registered
364 Posts
sorry to hear these issues, i'd be a little on a [bash] side if i spent money on two foci and what you described started happening.

but rest assured i had NOTHING to do with your issues, no matter what your dealer said. [cheers]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When will you stop complaining? They are both under warranty. Brand New cars ans especially brand new models like the 2012 have issues. They pay to fix then, they give you a loaner/rental for free. So deal with it or sell your Foci and who cares? Not me. Go buy yourself a Honda or something and complain about that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts