Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm apologize in advance if there is another thread discussing this issue.. I went through several and can't find anything similar.

About a couple months ago my car started to hesitate to start after filling it up with fuel. It will either sound terrible if it turns over, or it just won't start at all. Funny thing is.. it only does it the first time I start car after fueling up. On the second attempt it starts up. It sounds a little weird at first once started, but after 10 seconds it runs normal. When I first bought the car, there was a few times that I would add additional gas after the furl nozzle clicked-off at the gas station. I was then told how this was bad for the car so I stopped doing it. I stopped doing it probably a couple months before this issue started happening. After the second time I experienced this issue, the ignition light came on. My uncle ran the codes and it indicated that something was wrong with the fuel system. He suggested that I start with getting a cap for my fuel tank (My car came with the capless system). So I got the a cap that fit the tank... didn't help the issue. So then I read some other forums that suggested replacing the EVAP canister. I got that replaced... still no change. I'm now confused on what could be the problem. Also, my fuel gauge stopped working properly when this issue started. I'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden my fuel gauge we go to full when it was at a 1/2 tank. I'm not sure if these problems are related but they definitely started around the same time. If anyone has suggestions, please help!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Never heard of this issue before but I would start by inspecting the wiring loom leading back to the fuel tank and pump, if there's a loose or frayed connection it could be leading to some of your issues.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also think it could be wiring or evap lines around the tank. There's a tank pressure sensor that might have a loose connection, or have been filled with fuel when you topped off the tank.
Did you have a dealer do the evap canister? More importantly, if it was a shop or the dealer--did you ask them to replace it, or did you ask them to troubleshoot it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did this problem ever get resolved? If so, what did it turn out to be? I have the same issue. Every single time I fill up.

My car also will randomly bog down when I slow down, and sometimes stall. Not every time I drive it, but when it does happen, it's at literally every stop, if that makes sense.

Thanks.

I'm apologize in advance if there is another thread discussing this issue.. I went through several and can't find anything similar.

About a couple months ago my car started to hesitate to start after filling it up with fuel. It will either sound terrible if it turns over, or it just won't start at all. Funny thing is.. it only does it the first time I start car after fueling up. On the second attempt it starts up. It sounds a little weird at first once started, but after 10 seconds it runs normal. When I first bought the car, there was a few times that I would add additional gas after the furl nozzle clicked-off at the gas station. I was then told how this was bad for the car so I stopped doing it. I stopped doing it probably a couple months before this issue started happening. After the second time I experienced this issue, the ignition light came on. My uncle ran the codes and it indicated that something was wrong with the fuel system. He suggested that I start with getting a cap for my fuel tank (My car came with the capless system). So I got the a cap that fit the tank... didn't help the issue. So then I read some other forums that suggested replacing the EVAP canister. I got that replaced... still no change. I'm now confused on what could be the problem. Also, my fuel gauge stopped working properly when this issue started. I'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden my fuel gauge we go to full when it was at a 1/2 tank. I'm not sure if these problems are related but they definitely started around the same time. If anyone has suggestions, please help!

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Check post #4, some of the cars have a faulty evap valve that then collapses the tank. Big charges if you let it go too far. If fuel level sensor is reading erratic fuel level your clue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Agree with trying the Evap Purge Valve.
My CEL came on 2 weeks ago with P0456 code and the car hasn't wanted to start after refueling the last 3 fillups(same time period). I ordered the Evap Purge Valve, and it should deliver today. I expect this to cure my trouble.

I'll try to remember to report back after I swap the new Purge Valve in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just looked under my car, and my gas tank is already collapsed. Does that mean the damage is already done and the tank and sending unit need to be replaced? Or will replacing the purge valve still fix it? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Agree with trying the Evap Purge Valve.
My CEL came on 2 weeks ago with P0456 code and the car hasn't wanted to start after refueling the last 3 fillups(same time period). I ordered the Evap Purge Valve, and it should deliver today. I expect this to cure my trouble.

I'll try to remember to report back after I swap the new Purge Valve in.
Partial update after Evap Purge Valve replaced;
I had CEL with P0456 code. I also was experiencing trouble with intial start up after fuel fillups.
I replaced the Purge Valve 3 days ago, and sadly my CEL is still lit. I have not needed to refill with fuel yet to see if that issue was fixed, but I'm guessing the CEL is telling me no.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Go get the code read again, see if it's the same code. in order for the light to clear itself without a scantool reset it has to have 2 consecutive FULL drive cycles to verify itself, so it won't just clear instantly.
Partial update after Evap Purge Valve replaced;
I had CEL with P0456 code. I also was experiencing trouble with intial start up after fuel fillups.
I replaced the Purge Valve 3 days ago, and sadly my CEL is still lit. I have not needed to refill with fuel yet to see if that issue was fixed, but I'm guessing the CEL is telling me no.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may have a bad fuel pump or wiring connectors at the tank. If there is a loss of ground to the assembly (pump/fuel float) this could be your random ghost free tank of gas. If you don't know the history of the car since brand new another thing could be this car is a recovered flood car. Good luck I have the same issue but the tank level indicator is fine on mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts

[/QUOTE

My focus is starting this same problem i hove done nothing as of yet but am willing to start

·
Registered
1 Posts

There is a canister purge valve stuck open which cause erratic reading and starting , which cause excessive vacuum leak. In turn causing gas tank deformation which cause the fuel tank to collapse. I’ve had this “fixed” three times and is now occurring once again

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Pretty ridiculous, huh...................they first designed those parts in the mid '70s when fuel emissions got big note, no problems with them until now when Ford decides to make them 'better'.

Like the biodegradeable wiring that biodegrades before the car is worn out, and plastic parts with notches or holes molded into them at stress points to make them break faster so more parts get sold. Or wiring harnesses that are a couple inches too short to break wires all the time just to save a nickel on copper. Oh, and sell more harnesses too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts