1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally gave into my inner child and bought amp and subs,
1800w amp 2 kicker 12' comp r

Geek squad installed them

Long story short I realized the Remote line is wrong. I know for a fact he connected it to my radio but the amp stays on and kills battery.

Getting it fixed tomorrow hopefully but does anyone know why it stayed on, is it to do with SYNC?

Where should we put this remote line so the amp actually turns off?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There is no +12V switched power behind the factory head unit in this vehicle. He should have known that. This is not uncommon. He can find 12V switched power at the fuse box or key cylinder pretty easily.

That said, if you bought a Kicker amplifier to push those Kicker 12"s, he should have ran high-level (speaker wire) inputs into the amplifier. No need for a line output converter. Bonus when you do that is that you can use the DC offset on the speaker wires to automatically turn the amplifier on/off. No need to hunt for a 12V switched source at all. It works perfectly on the 2013 Focus. Ask me how I know. :) Every single Kicker amplifier made in the past decade is capable of this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you so much for the reply.
We figured it out.
The fuses under the glove box is where he connected the wire.
He first connected to the Radio, which also controls the door locks etc- so that makes sense why it wouldnt turn off.
He tried a few more fuses next and all of them didn't work, they would stay on when the car was off and locked.
One of the last fuses he tried under the glove box was the airbag fuse and it was the only one that would turn off when i turned my key off.
Boom all fixed, sound amazing also.

So all the talk about alternators was irrelevant because a normal car should definitely be able to run those subs easily.

Also I was going to buy a switch so I could raise and lower the bass on the fly, but I figured out I can click the little Music note icon on the dash and raising and lowering that bass level works very nice without ruining the quality of the bass (IMO)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts