Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My 111k mile 2012 Ford Focus SE 2.0L FI FFV DOHC 4cyl has been having some problems lately.

After driving at highway speeds the car when I stop will idle very high ~1.5k-2k RPMs at stop. Usually it will read a P0507 Idle air control system RPM Higher Than Expected.

It only once threw a check engine light for running lean.

One other symptom has been when it is idling high at a red light and I release the brake the RPMs drop to ~500 and the engine almost stalls out.

Troubleshooting I've done:
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Cleaned the MAF sensor with the proper electronic cleaner
- Used the propane method and brake cleaner method - couldn't find any vacuum leaks

Any have any thoughts where I can go next?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like I'm late to this thread, but I have the same issue in my 2012 SFE. Occasionally when I stop it will stay up at 1500 rpms or so and then eventually drop down to the ~500 rpm where it almost stalls. Once it does this it always will slowly build back up to the regular ~800 rpm idle speed, but it is very annoying and something I want to fix asap. Anyone on here familiar with this problem and have a fix?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm having this same problem with my 05 focus, same motor minus direct injection and electric throttle. You might have a cracked or split pcv hose, which unfortunately is under/behind the intake manifold on the front of thr motor. This behavior would be consistent with a vacuum leakc(high idle). You could also have a faulty canister purge solenoid causing the rough idle, which is a constant and known issue with thr mk3. My 15 has just started this rough idle and my new solenoid will be here tomorrow. There is a recall open for this issue if you would prefer to have the dealer look into it. I didn't want to risk screwing up my tune if the dealer flashed a new cpu strategy so I just bought a new purge solenoid and hose. It's 30-45 bucks online if you can find one. With the open recall, the part is harder to find and getting more expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts