Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE Hatchback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Focus Fanatics,
I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a little while. I recently purchased a 2012 Focus (70,000 miles) to use as a commuter vehicle, and I'm experiencing some issues with the cooling system. Really enjoying driving this little car, and I LOVE the gas mileage. I'm in SC and we just had our first warm days (85 degrees). I was driving the other day and the temperature gauge shot up to hot and I got the warning message. It went back and forth to normal before settling down. I have taken it out for long drives since, and it has not done it again. I was going to replace the thermostat to see if that could be going bad, but yesterday I noticed a big puddle under the car. The overflow tank was empty. I got under the car and there was coolant on the radiator bracket and surrounding area. I cleaned everything off and it seems that there may be a leak at the bottom passenger-side of the radiator. All of the hoses, overflow tank, and head gasket area are completely dry and clean, and the only wet area is at the very bottom. I filled it back up and drove until it was good and hot, and it is dripping like crazy again. See the pictures. Temperature gauge is staying normal. Is it worth trying some type of stop leak product, or should I pull the radiator and replace it? Not looking forward to taking the front of the car off, but I don't want an overheating problem.

Any experience or help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a pretty common issue. I, too, have a 2012 SE. The radiator leaks between the plastic sides and the aluminum cores. It took me about 4 hours to remove the front bumper, drain the coolant, and replace the radiator. Many places also say that you have to remove the AC condenser, but I did not find that to be true.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE Hatchback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks! I was thinking that I was going to have to bite the bullet and replace it, just hoping for a quick fix if one was available. I appreciate the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts