Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my SEL this morning and when I looked under the hood, I noticed there was no engine cover. That plastic cover has been a standard things on almost every vehicle I've had over the years.
I looked in the manual and there was a mention of "if equipped" in the engine compartment diagram.

I did try a search on here, but nothing turned up.

I think the engine looks a little messy without it. It's not like it's some hot V8 or something. But still.... looks incomplete.

Anyone else notice or care to comment ?

·
Registered
411 Posts
From what I heard they have been discontinued already. Only available on Titanium and some SEL's.
Correct, They were only put on the Titanium. They can be bought from dealers parts dept and fit right on the car. If you want all the bells and whistles you have to pay the piper.

·
Registered
310 Posts
In my very honest opinion I think engine covers are junk, unless your car is a show car. Have you seen the new Lexus' engine bays? Every single thing is covered. Its very ugly and what you find underneath is a very ugly engine. Sort of like this lol.

Took that pic at work. I don't see how covering up the engine with cheap plastic is possibly a good thing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think it completes the look of the engine bay. It doesn't cover everything, but just enough to fill it in. Cleans up all the mess of wires and whatnot :p

My Focus Ti was built after the discontinuation date, but I mentioned it to my dealer and he had one put on for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How much does this really save. A couple bucks?

Lordy lordy, cheap ole Fordy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'll walk right by any car with it's hood open at a car show that has an engine cover. I had plastic engines in my Matchbox Cars. I certainly don't want one now!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Titanium got delivered without one......told my dealership, they ordered one on their nickel and installed it. I like it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had plastic engines in my Matchbox Cars.
Don't look too closely, there's still lots of plastic being utilized. But it's new
fangled plastic and saves weight. Also, it doesn't rust.

Do you still collect Matchboxes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The hood covers the engine and all the other components. If I'm lifting the hood it's because I need/want to look at the engine...not a piece of plastic that needs to be removed to look at what the hood was already covering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Titanium got delivered without one......told my dealership, they ordered one on their nickel and installed it. I like it.
Does it also help surpress engine noise? I know that years ago several makes had what looked like insulation attached to the underside of the hood for that purpose???

·
Registered
411 Posts
Does it also help suppress engine noise? I know that years ago several makes had what looked like insulation attached to the underside of the hood for that purpose???
I was told by a factory dealer instructor that that is the reason these were on the top of the line Titanium. It dampens the engine noisy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm thinking about adding an engine cover to my SEL. I like the clean look, didn't think about additional sound deadening and with 100,000 mile engine service intervals, how often do you need to access engine components other than the dipstick?
How does the cover attach to the engine, does it snap on to existing or installed clips, is it bolted in to existing threaded holes and how easy is it to remove for engine detailing?
Some pics of the attachment points would be appreciated to help me decide if I want to install one or if it's even possible.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts