Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is a question for those with a manual tranny in their mk3. I'm considering buying a new Focus, but I have to have a stick shift. A good friend of mine has an 09 with a stick shift and its the best stick I've driven by far. How does the new gen compare? There are no new foci with manuals in my immediate area so finding one to test drive would be impractical. If the new gen is as smooth shifting as the mk2's, that puts the focus ahead of the competition in every catagory except aftermarket parts, which is worth waiting for since I know FSWerks is already finished with their beautiful prototype car (and will hopefully have another stealth exhaust :)).

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
It is the best manual I've ever shifted. Very smooth and short throws. Car and Driver says the shifter isn't as sorted as the Civic's, but I fully disagree.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Our 2012 5-speed is as smooth as silk. But I think the throw is a little long.

It's made in Germany, how can that be a bad thing!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hands down the nicest shifting manual I've driven. It's the only way to go if you even remotely like driving with a third pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome news! Not surprising, but awesome. Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, there will be some more performance parts available! That's my only grief with the Mk3's. but I can't really complain since my next two choices (Mk6 Golf & Mk3 Impreza) have both been around a few years longer than the new Focus.

PS - Where can I find pictures of you guys' Foci?! I've been searching Google up & down looking for some pictures of a new hatch Focus with the wheels painted, head/tail lights tinted, HID foglights, & all those easy aesthetic mods to make it look a little nicer while we all wait for racing parts, but I haven't been able to find anything other than you guys' avatars.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, there will be some more performance parts available!
It's a completely new car. Patience, grasshopper. The parts will come.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the tint thread...

[pic]
Sweet! Love the glazed look of that yellow in the sunlight. I could never get away with anything that bright though--metallic gold/yellow with black rims on an exotic looking hatch would stick out like a sore thumb to Atlanta's finest. They fear what they do not understand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've driven a few manual cars..

The 5 speed is great. Shifts are buttery smooth and quick. Feels really solid, yet smooth. Really fun to rip through the gears.

If I could complain about something related to the 5 speed it would be the following.
-Throws are a bit long, I think a short shift kit would do wonders for it.
-Not really a fan of the clutch engage point. Seems to be pretty high.

Other than that, my dad has a 2001 BMW 330Ci which is a manual and the Focus has a very comparable feel to that gearbox. Says a lot considering that was a 40k car brand new and my Focus was about half that.

IMO your question isn't really even a question (no offense - just reassuring you). I've given plenty of manuals a whip and the Focus is among the best I've driven. Let alone the fact that it's a 20k economy car. Case closed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got 5spd on my 2012. My roommate bought a 2010 Audi A4 the same week I bought my car.

His Audi is also manual (6 spd). Other than him having the extra gear, he says the transmission on my Focus is about as nice as his A4, but not quite as good as the RX-8 he had.

That seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love the manual in our Focus. Very smooth, throws are kind of long.

Best manual I ever shifted was in our 94 Miata. Loved the super short throws and the way it snicked into gear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I love the 5 Speed in my 2012...just wish:

1-different shift knob
2-stick wasn't so tall
3-shorter throws

when i test drove the 2011 cruze Eco. The 6-speed in it was awesome...i wish the focus has something similar

·
Registered
239 Posts
Off topic, yes, but it should be said that though I never really cared for the color yellow on a car, I absolutely love your Focus.
Thanks! :D

-Not really a fan of the clutch engage point. Seems to be pretty high.
This is my only real complaint. It depends a lot on seating position for me I think. Some days I can hit it just fine and others I'm overgassing before I hit it. One of those things.

I've had short throws on many of my other cars. While I wouldn't call the Focus short by any stretch, it's not bad at all for a stock shifter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

1-different shift knob
2-stick wasn't so tall
3-shorter throws
Well I've never actually owned a manual car before (just my bike), but the stick I drive most is a 2003 Saturn Ion--super long, hard throws & really bad 3rd gear pop-out--so I think virtually ANY current production transmission would be better than that. I was just making sure it wasn't an issue like the Kia Forte where everything seems to be incredible value until you try to drive it & stall out three times in the parking lot.[rolleyes]

This is my only real complaint. It depends a lot on seating position for me I think. Some days I can hit it just fine and others I'm overgassing before I hit it. One of those things.

I've had short throws on many of my other cars. While I wouldn't call the Focus short by any stretch, it's not bad at all for a stock shifter.
Obviously the throws could be shortened with a short throw kit (when they release one). So could an aftermarket clutch fix the late release problem? Not that I'm at all worried about it, I have every faith it will still be an easy driving car right off the lot. But the only manual vehicles I've ever owned were motorcycles, & I've never really had to do any major modifications because they're good to go for any amateur league racing from the factory.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think its great... of course I used to drive a Mazda Tribute with the same transmission and a very long shifter. The Focus shifter feels short by comparison, and it has 30 more horsepower... but a curiously similar curb weight.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

1-different shift knob
2-stick wasn't so tall
I've been looking into some aftermarket knobs, but I hate those piece's of crap that are held on with a few allen set screws that come loose after a couple days. From a performance standpoint (read: proper performance driving habits) the closer your shifter is to the steering wheel (remember both hands at 10 and 2) the quicker you can get through your shifts from your hand leaving the wheel to returning to the wheel. There was a company that actually made a tall short throw shifter for Hondas. It's been a long time since I've been into Hondas and I can't find the shifter anywhere.

Those of you saying the throws are long have either had some decent cars or put short throw shifters in your cars. I've done neither.

·
Registered
290 Posts

1-different shift knob
2-stick wasn't so tall
3-shorter throws

when i test drove the 2011 cruze Eco. The 6-speed in it was awesome...i wish the focus has something similar
Looking only at the numbers (i.e. the gear-ratios) -- the Cruze ECO has incredibly wide-ratio gears. So, while the shift-action may be good, and while it is a 6 speed (versus 5 speed) -- the ratios are not very sporting, and so the drive-quality at least theoretically would not be very sport-oriented.

Having said all of this, I know that empirically, things can be different than what they are on paper.... (i.e. theoretically).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happy with my 5 speed!

I have just under 2000 kms on my car. I'm still getting used to 1st and reverse. My car was just in to get a few gremlins fixed (nav issue and ceiling was rattling) and I had an auto as a loaner. When I got back into my car last night I was so happy!!! The 5 speed hands down is nicer to drive. I think once I get 10k on it she's going to be a sporty little monster [:)]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts