Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Focus - Dual Clutch Transmisson Issue

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I'm trying to get some input from the 2012 Focus guys.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL in White Platinum, the 17" polished alloy wheels and the 6spd auto transmission.

The car is a great commuter. It's great on fuel, comfortable on the highway and is probably the best looking compact in it's class, as far as I'm concerned.

But the issue I'm having is this stupid 'Hill Start' assist. I'm not even sure why this feature exists on an automatic, but so be it.

The car moves fine when accelerating from a roll or when passing. But when I'm completely stopped and then hit the go pedal with the intention of getting out in front of traffic quickly, NOTHING happens for a split second. It's like the car has to 'think about it'. Very scary.

What I suspect is happening is the 'Hill Start' assist is unable to make the transition from 'brake' to 'go' as fast as it should be. I've never experienced this in any other vehicle.

I went through all the functions in the gauge cluster and I couldn't find how to turn it off. In the manual there is a section that shows that the ability to deactivate 'Hill Start' should be under 'Driver Assist'. But the only thing under that heading is 'Traction Control', On/Off.

As far as I can tell, there is no 'Hill Start' deactivation on North American cars, contrary to what the manual says.

I've contacted my sales guy and he had a tech check into it. He said there is no way to deactivate 'Hill Start', as far as he can tell.

So I called up Ford Customer Service and explained the situation. I told them that this feature (and the inability to disable it) is really rather dangerous and that I was sure they'd be hearing more complaints.

Further, I told them that if this feature can't be turned off somehow, that I'd like to talk about returning the car.

The CSR guy said he'd escalate my case upto a CSR manager.

Is anyone else finding this 'Hill Start' feature frustrating (if not dangerous)?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
thats a pretty car... I dont agree with the hill assist thing...

good luck with your issue and

WELCOME to the forums..!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the 5-speed, but do you think it could just be your auto transmission? I've read a lot of professional reviews complaining about the unresponsiveness of the dual-clutch automatic.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The hill start assist is not what is causing the delay. It's that the clutches in the transmission take a moment to engage since it's essentialy a manual transmission which is in neutral at idle. If it didn't engage this way it would be like dumping a clutch on a manual transmission.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I agree, the hill start feature only activates if the cars sensors detect the car is on a hill, do not know what the angle is.

I do not have an issue with that fraction of a second delay, over all I would say the car is up and moving just as quickly as if it had a conventional automatic.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Plus throttle by wire, you hit the gas, then the car decides if it wants to go or not :D

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Welcome to the future. It's only a matter of time before the gov't mandates start-stop engine systems too. Wasn't there an article about Ford aiming to implement that soon?

But in all seriousness make sure that traction control is turned off when you're driving in dry conditions too. That usually saps some engine power when you're trying to accelerate rapidly onto a freeway. I've started doing that and holy hell does my car feel like a whole new beast. Throttle responsiveness is instant now (at least for me).

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Why is this dangerous? Why do you need to be pulling out in front of traffic so quickly?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks for the responses everyone.

Yes I think the comments on the issue being the transmission rather than the hill start assist feature itself are valid. I can only guess since I there is no 'off' switch for this feature.

Hopefully there will be a programing update for thes transmissions in the near future to make them more responsive off the line. I find it very good in all other aspects. It pulls hard and passing is no issue.

Joeywhat: I'm gettin 36 mpg so you know I don't drive like a maniac. Its just those ocassional situations where you need power 'right now' that I'm having this issue. And for any of you that have travelled on the 401 hwy in Toronto know that this is sometimes a necessity.

Mmmoose: I tried diengaging the T/C but I didn't find it made any difference.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How is this dangerous again? Is my manual transmission dangerous because it rolls back on hills too?
If one is proficient at driving a manual transmission, there should be very little roll back when accelerating. So no, because its something you can learn to control its not dangerous.

But when I hit the gas on a car - lightly or otherwise, I expect it to go.

I'm 40yrs old and have driven many vehicles - electronic throttle and cable, manual and auto, but I've never had the unnerving experience I'm having now with this car.

Again, its not like I'm doing 1/4 mile runs at every start, but when I hit the accelerator, I expect a response. Not a delay.

·
Registered
191 Posts
On rare occasion do I find my throttle unresponsive... and usually when it shows up is when I've just come to a complete stop just in time to get the green light (hate this btw)... Sometimes I get the rollback thing if I'm on a hill and have pulled forward a tad without fully re-engaging the brakes to reactivate the hill assist. But as for delay in throttle I don't see it really, more a lack of torque at the low end, but this has been addressed in many reviews and I knew this car love to find it's torque a little up the scale. One way to avoid any delay off the line is Sport Mode if you have it... and like mmmoose said, turning off traction control when it's not needed does help some because of how much this car depends on its electronics. And to prevent rollback with the dual-clutch, just be sure to fully re-engage the brakes after you move forward on an incline. I seriously think you would be missing out on such a great car if you cashed in on your threat and returned the vehicle somehow. Good luck though.

BTW people... I need Rep points. Help me out yo! Those paying attention to my activity here should see I'm not some wanna-be car-guy rookie that just asks a lot of questions and doesn't show some love/knowledge and actually contribute a tiny bit of good stuff on occasion when I know my stuff/have the means. Lol!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response Fordfan. Yes I would like to resolve what I see as an issue.

I too love the car otherwise. They've done a very good thing bringing the Euro model to North America.

In light of the info I've received on here suggesting its likely the nature of the DC transmission that's causing my issue, I've re-titled the thread - although its not appearing to be changed in the general forum section. If a moderator could assist with that, it would be helpful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sometimes you have to exit the forums all together and re-enter to see the changes made... The joys of technology sometimes :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just read in the FF manual in the HSA section where it would refer to a vehicle spec and then (HSA if available)

Maybe the HSA is an option?

Anyway, I hope you get the dreaded "dead pedal" fixed.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
BTW people... I need Rep points. Help me out yo! Those paying attention to my activity here should see I'm not some wanna-be car-guy rookie that just asks a lot of questions and doesn't show some love/knowledge and actually contribute a tiny bit of good stuff on occasion when I know my stuff/have the means. Lol!
OK - you can have one of mine.......

To the 'delay' issue -
I don't have a 2012 Focus and haven't driven one, but it sounds to me like an issue of comfortability - getting used to the dual clutch unit.
Armen - have you tried a slower throttle 'tip-in' when you first apply the gas? Perhaps a bit lighter foot on the first 1/4 of pedal travel may soften the 'dead' feeling you get when you push the throttle. Also, trying to anticipate a bit when to go may help as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks karguy427! And you are right on the easing into the gas a bit does seem to be preferred by the dual-clutch.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts