Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I'll find out soon on my test drive. Im 6'3 with a long torso and was wondering how the headroom is in a focus without sunroof, as I looked at the interior dimensions and they seemed to be rather low - 37 inch front headroom.

I test drove a 2012 elantra with sunroof and was surprised on how much headroom I had even with the sunroof. Any feedback from over 6 foot 2012 focus drivers would be great. Im looking at the elantra and focus hatchback, pretty much disregarded the cruze already. Did not like its transmission.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Unlike earlier foci the seats go low, so you really should have no problems. Im 6'1".

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm only 5'11", but I have plenty of headroom even with the sunroof taking up a bit.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
676 Posts
You really have to 'try one on' to be certain. I am 6'2'' and fit fine, not as much headroom as 2009, but I am looking to get a next gen in a year or so.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile A huge thing I have to mention since we talking about tall people, there is way more leg room up front then previous models. In previous foci they had that high seating position that caused your legs to be very bent and knees decently close to the dash no matter how much you lowered or put back the seat. No more in the 2012, you can put the seat back further, even further then I felt comfortable and the seat goes down, way down, so now instead of feeling like your driving a truck you feel like your in a sporty car. I could pretty much stretch my legs out just about straight if I had too. And the steering wheel tilts and telescopes so you can adjust that as well.

You really gotta sit in one and fiddle with the seating positions.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm 6'2" with an extremely large head, but no hair.

I don't feel crowded or claustrophobic. This car does not feel like a small car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was in kind of a "lean back" position originally then I realized I could lower the seat a little more and sit more upright (like in my previous xB) and I like it much better. I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 6'5" with short hair - read that, as my hair doesn't lie down, though it's not like I gel it up.

In my three test drives, I got the impression that the manual seat goes slightly lower than the power seat. But, with either one, my hair is always rubbing against the roof with the moonroof.

In the one focus I was able to find without the moonroof (manual seat) I could comfortably sit with a good inch of headroom without having the seat bottomed out (though it was close).

I ended up ordering a titanium with no moonroof. Because, frankly, from my research into SoCal dealerships, such a car has never been built.

I would also add that I end up with the driver's almost all the way back. And that doesn't really allow the back seat to fold down flat. I've got to go an inch or two forward to allow the back seat bottom to fold up enough to let the back fold down. Which makes me ask why the hell they put the 60 of the 60/40 on the drivers side?!? If they just put the 40 there, I could fold down the bigger opposite side and leave the 40 up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm almost 6'4 and there are no issues with headroom up front as long as you stay clear of the sunroof. The driver's seat can go down quite far, leaving even the tallest people decent headroom, however I sat in an SEL hatch with a sunroof and with the seat all the way down, my head was still skimming the roof and the passenger better be short or they'll be nagging the whole ride. Rear headroom on both the sedan and hatch are not stunning by any means, but decent for the size of car. I could sit back there for about an hour and a half before I start getting slightly annoyed. Most of my buddies are shorter than me (if not all of them) so they would all be fine back there for hours on end if need be.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm 6'5" with short hair - read that, as my hair doesn't lie down, though it's not like I gel it up.

In my three test drives, I got the impression that the manual seat goes slightly lower than the power seat. But, with either one, my hair is always rubbing against the roof with the moonroof.

In the one focus I was able to find without the moonroof (manual seat) I could comfortably sit with a good inch of headroom without having the seat bottomed out (though it was close).

I ended up ordering a titanium with no moonroof. Because, frankly, from my research into SoCal dealerships, such a car has never been built.

I would also add that I end up with the driver's almost all the way back. And that doesn't really allow the back seat to fold down flat. I've got to go an inch or two forward to allow the back seat bottom to fold up enough to let the back fold down. Which makes me ask why the hell they put the 60 of the 60/40 on the drivers side?!? If they just put the 40 there, I could fold down the bigger opposite side and leave the 40 up.
I have no idea how you're touching the ceiling. I'm 6'3" and with a titanium with moonroof and power seat I can put my arm behind the seat (with elbow pointed straight up) and I don't touch the ceiling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have no idea how you're touching the ceiling. I'm 6'3" and with a titanium with moonroof and power seat I can put my arm behind the seat (with elbow pointed straight up) and I don't touch the ceiling.
Geez, I don't know. Maybe you've got longer legs and a shorter torso than me. Maybe you slouch in the seat. Maybe two inches is... two inches.

If the seats are all the way down, my head (skull) isn't touching the ceiling, but my hair will rub against it. (again, only with the moonroof) I can stand that for a day or two in a rental. But not in my daily driver. Besides, the headliner will get all discolored regardless of how clean your hair is.

Really, if I wasn't rubbing on the headliner, I'd be driving around today in one of the handful of loaded titaniums that the dealer already had. I just couldn't find anything aside from base in socal without a moonroof. Instead, I'm waiting for my order to be fulfilled - which is an entirely different issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm 6'2" and drive one without a Moonroof and I think I have enough headroom because I never felt threatened by the roof while sitting in the car :) My right knee hits the center console plastic and it is quite annoying and painful sometimes.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Geez, I don't know. Maybe you've got longer legs and a shorter torso than me. Maybe you slouch in the seat. Maybe two inches is... two inches.

If the seats are all the way down, my head (skull) isn't touching the ceiling, but my hair will rub against it. (again, only with the moonroof) I can stand that for a day or two in a rental. But not in my daily driver. Besides, the headliner will get all discolored regardless of how clean your hair is.

Really, if I wasn't rubbing on the headliner, I'd be driving around today in one of the handful of loaded titaniums that the dealer already had. I just couldn't find anything aside from base in socal without a moonroof. Instead, I'm waiting for my order to be fulfilled - which is an entirely different issue.
Well last I checked my legs aren't 5' of my height...which is what would have to be required in order for this math to make sense...I have a *clear* 6-8" of room above my head when I'm sitting in the car. As I said, I can have my hand behind my head, with my elbow pointed straight to the ceiling, and nothing is touching the fabric. That's *with* a moonroof. I'm guessing my arm is extended about 5" above my head and not making contact with anything.

Either your torso makes up about 3/5 of your body or your seat isn't going down far enough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well last I checked my legs aren't 5' of my height...which is what would have to be required in order for this math to make sense...I have a *clear* 6-8" of room above my head when I'm sitting in the car. As I said, I can have my hand behind my head, with my elbow pointed straight to the ceiling, and nothing is touching the fabric. That's *with* a moonroof. I'm guessing my arm is extended about 5" above my head and not making contact with anything.

Either your torso makes up about 3/5 of your body or your seat isn't going down far enough.
Really... not trying to mess with you at all. Really, really. Not trying to drive you into some mistrusting rage either.

If I sit on the floor with my back against the wall, the top of my head is at 38.5 inches. (Yes, I just did that. My dog thought I was nuts. I was beginning to think he was right.) I don't like to drive reclined, though not bolt upright either. I'm totally pulling this out of my butt, but say... I like the seat back at 80 degrees?

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/specifications/interior/ - That shows the front headroom at 38.3". Now, I don't really know what that means. Probably from the seat bottom at it's lowest position straight up to the headliner. Since I don't sit bolt upright, that buys me a little bit because of the angle. All I'm saying is, at my preferred seat position, I rub the roof with the moonroof. Without it, I've got about an inch in clearance.

We have clearance, Clarence.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts