Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm not very active here but I know there's a lot of helpful people on this site so I was hoping you all could give me some advice:

Lately, my front suspension has been making a pretty loud grinding/scratching type of sound which is really only noticeable when going over larger bumps like speed bumps. I took my car in to the dealer, and they performed TSB 13-12-9 and lubricated the strut tops. I got the car back and the noise was still there, so I took it right back. This time I took the service technician on a ride so he could make sure they were addressing the right problem. He said it was the front sway bar bushings, so they lubricated them. I got the car back again this morning and sure enough, the grinding noise is still present. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and knew of the solution. I've seen a lot of threads about suspension issues, but none seem to be experiencing the same sound. At this point I'd rather not waste any more time at the dealer until I get a second opinion. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi all, I'm not very active here but I know there's a lot of helpful people on this site so I was hoping you all could give me some advice:

Lately, my front suspension has been making a pretty loud grinding/scratching type of sound which is really only noticeable when going over larger bumps like speed bumps. I took my car in to the dealer, and they performed TSB 13-12-9 and lubricated the strut tops. I got the car back and the noise was still there, so I took it right back. This time I took the service technician on a ride so he could make sure they were addressing the right problem. He said it was the front sway bar bushings, so they lubricated them. I got the car back again this morning and sure enough, the grinding noise is still present. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and knew of the solution. I've seen a lot of threads about suspension issues, but none seem to be experiencing the same sound. At this point I'd rather not waste any more time at the dealer until I get a second opinion. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

I had the exact same situation. Lubed it first, then replaced the bushings. After that it was still there. It is your control arm bushings 100%. This is a known issue. Have them replace the bushings, or in my case, they replace the whole control arm (arm +bushings). No noise since 3 k miles.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts

Thanks
There is another TSB that addresses this issue. Sounds like your dealer only performed the easy one.

Bring this one to their attention. Note that it may have been superseded with a newer TSB

TSB 13-5-11 Replace the strut bearings

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Thanks
Hi frostythefocus,

When were your most recent trips to the dealer? Please let me know, along with your mileage, so I can see how to best assist. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi frostythefocus,

When were your most recent trips to the dealer? Please let me know, along with your mileage, so I can see how to best assist. :)

Meagan
I originally went to Babbitt Ford on Monday 11/17 and returned the same day when the problem was not fixed. I picked up my car for the second time this morning.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I originally went to Babbitt Ford on Monday 11/17 and returned the same day when the problem was not fixed. I picked up my car for the second time this morning.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Go ahead and send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, and full name. I'll dig into this.

Meagan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have the same issue with mine..started a few weeks ago and is annoying as hell!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My other half drives a 2013 Titanium Sedan and has had the front suspension noise problems from Day 1. We've had it looked at by the dealer multiple times, they've done the "Lube the Strut Tops" TSB 5x now, per my service records. Been present since about 450 miles. My 2014 has no issues so far (knock of wood) at 800 miles.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The dealer replaced my strut bearings, noise came back in like 2 weeks, next time they tried lubing a bunch of suspension components, that lasted about a week. A year later, I mentioned it during an oil change, and the replaced the bearings again, but this time it was a revised part #.

See this post: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7159569&postcount=2762

It's been about a month now, and hasn't returned....yet.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Have the same issue with mine..started a few weeks ago and is annoying as hell!!!
Have you had the chance to chat with your dealer on this? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

My other half drives a 2013 Titanium Sedan and has had the front suspension noise problems from Day 1. We've had it looked at by the dealer multiple times, they've done the "Lube the Strut Tops" TSB 5x now, per my service records. Been present since about 450 miles...
I'll be happy to look into some additional options. I'll need the VIN, mileage, registered owner's best daytime phone number & full name, and dealer name/location sent via PM.

Meagan

·
Registered
161 Posts
No I haven't yet, bought used (non-dealer) but I just didn't know if they would still be able to do anything or not

·
Registered
161 Posts
45k for miles btw

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
No I haven't yet, bought used (non-dealer) but I just didn't know if they would still be able to do anything or not
45k for miles btw
I recommend setting up an appointment for this and let me know when you do. I want to look into some additional options. Once the appointment is set, please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts