Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a big deal, but do they still use the Duratec class of engines in the new 2012 Focus (which has a higher compression rate than the previous models, among other changes) or is this a new engine from Ford?

·
Registered
191 Posts
From what I've read and researched, it is the same class of engine and the bottom-end is just an evolved 2.0 block and all the new tech (direct-injection, etc.) is involved in the top-end. Only wish the compression was lower for a more comfortable addition of forced-induction... But yes, the Duratec in the 2012 is just an evolution of the Duratec before it... Much like other evolutions before it where old tech was blended with new (think 302 with a carb being replaced with 302 using electronic fuel injection in the old 5.0's).

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what I've read and researched, it is the same class of engine and the bottom-end is just an evolved 2.0 block and all the new tech (direct-injection, etc.) is involved in the top-end. Only wish the compression was lower for a more comfortable addition of forced-induction... But yes, the Duratec in the 2012 is just an evolution of the Duratec before it... Much like other evolutions before it where old tech was blended with new (think 302 with a carb being replaced with 302 using electronic fuel injection in the old 5.0's).
Also, not sure what changed, but if you go to fordparts.com and lookup engine assembly, there is a change as of April 14th. This for the entire engine assembly and not for the short block.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean here... my car's manufacturing date was on/around July 1, 2011 (very recently).

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK, I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean here... my car's manufacturing date was on/around July 1, 2011 (very recently).
Me neither! Just thought it was worth mentioning, as there is a difference according to Ford.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured. I think part of the way they were able to get 160 hp from the 2.0L engine was to increase compression from 10:1 to 12:1, and that seems about right.

But on a side note, I wasn't aware that the 2008-2011 Focus has the PowerShift trans too (although only a 4 speed with OD and not a 6 speed, but it still apparently in the PowerShift class, unless that's just their name for their auto trans, sort of like the Duratec line of engines--one name, many iterations/versions). Obviously, I know the second gen Focus didn't have dual clutches.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other question.... a trans question:

I've got the 2012 with the SelectShift option (don't know if this matters to my question), but when I accellerate slowly, I noticed that going from 1st to 2nd, it sometimes will make like a quiet but audible grinding noise (sort of like if you were to grind gears in a true manual a little). Is this normal?

It won't do this if I accelerate moderately or fast. Only when I do a slow acceleration--meaning when I accelerate at a rate of about 5 mph per second or less.
I'm just concerned that the trans sounds like it's grinding a bit. Or maybe it's just me having to get used to a dual-clutch system and the sounds is makes.

I know many other people said that it will take about 300-500 miles for the trans to start shifting "normally" and not be as jerky, which it isn't too bad right now, as long as I don't just creep along. I guess I do have the 60mo/60k mi engine warranty so maybe I shouldn't worry for now I guess. I'd imagine if it was doing damage, that it would do something horrible within the warranty (hopefully if that was the case).

Anyone else experience this sort of noise??

·
Registered
136 Posts
One other question.... a trans question:

I've got the 2012 with the SelectShift option (don't know if this matters to my question), but when I accellerate slowly, I noticed that going from 1st to 2nd, it sometimes will make like a quiet but audible grinding noise (sort of like if you were to grind gears in a true manual a little). Is this normal?

It won't do this if I accelerate moderately or fast. Only when I do a slow acceleration--meaning when I accelerate at a rate of about 5 mph per second or less.
I'm just concerned that the trans sounds like it's grinding a bit. Or maybe it's just me having to get used to a dual-clutch system and the sounds is makes.

I know many other people said that it will take about 300-500 miles for the trans to start shifting "normally" and not be as jerky, which it isn't too bad right now, as long as I don't just creep along. I guess I do have the 60mo/60k mi engine warranty so maybe I shouldn't worry for now I guess. I'd imagine if it was doing damage, that it would do something horrible within the warranty (hopefully if that was the case).

Anyone else experience this sort of noise??
The transmission is a dry clutch system. What you are hearing is the clutches engaging and disengaging. It won't ever go away, it's normal. You don't hear it when you accelerate rapidly because the clutches engage and disengage much more rapidly but it still makes the grinding sound if only for a split second.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I figured. I think part of the way they were able to get 160 hp from the 2.0L engine was to increase compression from 10:1 to 12:1, and that seems about right.
Hi, you guys must be crying out for the ecoboost...
Chris

·
Registered
425 Posts
I drove slowly next to a wall and noticed noises during/after shifting as well. It's just the transmission shifting, then getting the next gear ready for you. Since you aren't physically doing the shifting, some sort of solenoid is doing the work.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dual-clutch automatics function differently compared to conventional auto's, they are more like automated manuals...

The 08-11's DO NOT use PowerShift transmissions, PowerShift is a relatively new product from Ford.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The transmission is a dry clutch system
Everything I've read says that the PowerShift in the Focus uses wet clutches, and the Fiesta uses dry. Can anyone confirm this? Are they both actually dry clutch systems?

EDIT: Also, grinding noises are not normal. It is an automated manual, so some clunks, clicks, whirs and the like are expected. But they should be pretty unobtrusive. A grinding noise like clashing gears in a manual transmission? I'd certainly have the dealership check that out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ford's Powershift is most definitely a dry sump system. VW's DSG is wet sump.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So basically, the noises I mentioned above are pretty much normal?

I mean, with a firm acceleration, I don't hear the noise as much (not a racing start, just a firm start from a stop light, for example--engine never goes over 3000 rpm during my "firm starts").

Now, I'm just wondering why I'm hearing this whining /groaning noise above 30mph.... It's not the tires, I already checked that. it's coming from the front of the car. And the car drives and shifts fine, brakes are fine, I'm just puzzled? Anyone hear this noise too? It's like a groan/whine that fades in and out as you drive and is somewhat associated with your speed (not neceesarily the engine RPM, but the speed at which you are driving).

For example, I put my car into Neutral, and let it coast down a hill, getting up to almost 50-60 mph, and it still made the groaning/whining noise. Engine was idling around 600-700 RPM the whole time I was costing down hill, so I don't think it's really a trans problem--that and I can get up to about 3e0 mph before I start hearing it, which is about 3rd gear, but the sound persists up through 6th gear too.

Car drives perfectly, no vibrations (except for when it's making the noise--which is pretty much like a harmonic vibration and NOT a vibration like unbalance tired or a bent rim). I also notice (and don't know if this is normal, that the tach bounces sometimes but only within a 100rpm range, and it really isn't noticeable unless you stare at it).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Everything I've read says that the PowerShift in the Focus uses wet clutches, and the Fiesta uses dry. Can anyone confirm this? Are they both actually dry clutch systems?

EDIT: Also, grinding noises are not normal. It is an automated manual, so some clunks, clicks, whirs and the like are expected. But they should be pretty unobtrusive. A grinding noise like clashing gears in a manual transmission? I'd certainly have the dealership check that out.
The Fiesta and Focus are both dry clutch systems. Coming from a wet clutch DSG in my VW I can tell the difference. The VW was much smoother. I won't miss the $400 DSG fluid service every 40k miles though. The dry clutch is also more fuel efficient. Hopefully Ford will release a software update to improve the shift quality. I had 1 or 2 from VW for the DSG. The transmission is really the only part of the car that doesn't come off as super refined.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The Fiesta and Focus are both dry clutch systems. Coming from a wet clutch DSG in my VW I can tell the difference. The VW was much smoother. I won't miss the $400 DSG fluid service every 40k miles though. The dry clutch is also more fuel efficient. Hopefully Ford will release a software update to improve the shift quality. I had 1 or 2 from VW for the DSG. The transmission is really the only part of the car that doesn't come off as super refined.
Thank you for the clarification.

A cow-orker of mine has a GTI with DSG. I haven't driven it, but I have ridden in it. Compared to my Focus, it was very similar in feel (from the passenger's seat anyways). Which makes sense because the PowerShift and DSG are more similar to each other (wet or dry clutch aside) than they are to any conventional automatic transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts