Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an update to an earlier posting. I bought a 2012 Focus SEL in May. After a short while I noticed issues with respect to wiper operation and message displays on the dashboard. To make a long story short, I was told that my car had an early build date (prior to 1 June 2011). It turns out there are a number of issues with the early build cars like mine. Also, some of the issues could not be solved. I was not happy about this at all. The dealer agreed to make things right and I am now driving a 2012 Fusion SEL which seems to be a pretty decent machine. If you have a 2012 Focus with issues and it was built prior to June 1st, ask about the early build issues, Ford HQ is aware of this. Good luck!

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
They replaced your car with the Fusion?
Sounds like a sweet deal to me

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Good heads up. Mine was built in May, but luckily I haven't had any issues other than a couple lock pins on the left side rocker panel not being pushed all the way in. What were your wiper issues?

·
Registered
636 Posts
This is an update to an earlier posting. I bought a 2012 Focus SEL in May. After a short while I noticed issues with respect to wiper operation and message displays on the dashboard. To make a long story short, I was told that my car had an early build date (prior to 1 June 2011). It turns out there are a number of issues with the early build cars like mine. Also, some of the issues could not be solved. I was not happy about this at all. The dealer agreed to make things right and I am now driving a 2012 Fusion SEL which seems to be a pretty decent machine. If you have a 2012 Focus with issues and it was built prior to June 1st, ask about the early build issues, Ford HQ is aware of this. Good luck!
Well that explains a lot of things. According to the manufacturing sticker on my car it was built in mid april!! The first week I got it the alignment made me hold the wheel at a 90 degree angle to go straight, the engine shot oil out of the dipstick all over the place and the transmission damn near threw me through the windshield with its lurchiness. Though most of the problems have subsided now at 2000 miles it still has occasional issues which any new car shoudlnt have. I love it thogh; reminds me of my tempermental mid 90's Cadillac my dad forced me to part with(gas prices and expensive repairs, I'm 19). [xx(]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Normally I would have but I remember them commenting when I picked mine that the Focus was selling so well they might not get another in for up to 11 weeks due to supply issues. Hence I had to settle for one with a tan interior (instead of black which I had hoped for) and the SFE package instead of the sport, either way I was glad to get disc brakes[woot]. The dealer was very prompt about getting things fixed; they cut me ahead of everyone else in their schedule and fixed each issue within a day of the car being dropped off. Naturally all the repairs were free since its a brand new car.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
My biggest concern is the PowerShift transmission. I was excited when Ford first announced that they'd be getting rid of the 4-speed in favor of a dry dual clutch. But it sounds to me like they're still having some issues with the 2012 Focus despite making some revisions from the 2011 Fiesta. Understandably Ford is new to dual clutch technology and it's not something that takes 2 years to completely iron out.

On the other hand I find it a little strange how Ford recently announced that they'd be using an 8-speed regular automatic for the 2013 Fiesta. I find it strange because they were all about replacing the old 4-speed with PowerShift ONLY. From a global model standpoint it doesn't make sense to have multiple versions of automatic transmissions. So to me this sounds like they're losing a little bit of confidence in their own PowerShift technology already.

I hope I'm wrong in that assessment because I'd really like to see their dual clutch technology improve and succeed. On the other hand maybe owning an 8-speed Fiesta might not be bad either. It's entirely possible that the Focus might adopt the same 8-speed transmission within the same year. Who knows... but let's just hope they're not made in China.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
They replaced your car with the Fusion?
Sounds like a sweet deal to me

Posted via FF Mobile Dealer actually lucked out. Theyll probably make more money on the focus then with the fusion and theyll be able to sell it a lot faster too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my focus in May and I encounter several issues that really pisses me off. First the SYNC screen just died after 3 months... the front power windows stop working just like that randomly.... then I restart the car and it works again. On the top of that , this car eats much more gaz than expected.... I drive mostly in the city but I'm way above the 6.5 l promised by Ford. The best I reached was 9l/100 km. I don't get it.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
the top of that , this car eats much more gaz than expected.... I drive mostly in the city but I'm way above the 6.5 l promised by Ford. The best I reached was 9l/100 km. I don't get it.
This isn't a car that's made to get good economy in the city. That's obvious by looking at the fuel ratings on the window sticker. You're still getting roughly 30 miles per gallon which is fine for mostly city. If you want good city mileage that's why they make Prius's.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
This isn't a car that's made to get good economy in the city. That's obvious by looking at the fuel ratings on the window sticker. You're still getting roughly 30 miles per gallon which is fine for mostly city. If you want good city mileage that's why they make Prius's.

Posted via FF Mobile 30mpg in the city...thats more then the sticker. Why complain?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Very suspect 1st posting I'd say

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile 30mpg in the city...thats more then the sticker. Why complain?
Right? And when I wrote that I'm thinking "well 30 isn't the greatest". I think it's the huge range between city/highway mileage that throws me off. Then I think "well gee. 30mpg is about what my 2000 protege averaged highway...and that thing wasn't even fun to drive with its whole 105 crank hp and insufficient suspension".

Anyone who complains about 30 MPG or more needs to get smacked... :p
Violence isn't the answer, but sometimes it helps :p I feel like I've seen your name around another forum. yzf600r.com?

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Violence isn't the answer, but sometimes it helps :p I feel like I've seen your name around another forum. yzf600r.com?
Only other forum I'm registered to is a VW one. But in all seriousness 30 mpg city is frickin' awesome. Especially given the fact that the Focus is probably the most fun you're going to get when it comes to cars with high fuel economy. The alternatives are the new Elantra, expensive Golf/Jetta TDI, or the boring Prius/Insight.

I miss seeing numbers like that when I had my old ZX3. I probably get around 16-19 mpg (city) with the way I drive now. On the other hand I knew what I was getting myself into when I got a 2.5L, 5-cylinder car. Some days it's worth the fun, and other days it's just frustratingly thirsty. Eventually I'd like to get something that's both economic AND fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts