Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 focus SEL has been nearly flawless since I bought it. In the last couple of weeks, the climate control system has started blowing hot (not warm, hot) air no matter what temperature I set the climate controls too. Its almost like it thinks its really cold out so its trying to heat the car. This is true whether I have A/C engaged or not.

I can overcome this by setting the system to "Lo", which overrides the temperature settings and just lets it blow as cold as it can.

So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the refrigerant, since it is fully capable of cooling when set to Lo.

Anyone have any thoughts. I'm trying to find time to bring it in, but hoping there might be a simple fix out there.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's hard to say but I would try changing the sensors first.

This one cost 20$.
This sensor is responsible for the temperature and humidity level inside the cabin.
It can be found on the right of steering wheel area.
Part Number: BM5Z-19C734-A
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/focus/bm5z19c734a/2013-year/titanium-trim/2-0l-l4-flex-engine/hvac-cat/automatic-temperature-controls-scat/?part_name=in-car-sensor

You could also replace the sensor that is recording the temperature in the vent.
It cost 6$.
Part Number: CV6Z-19C734-B
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/focus/cv6z19c734b/2013-year/titanium-trim/2-0l-l4-flex-engine/hvac-cat/evaporator-and-heater-components-scat/?part_name=temp-sensor

You'll find the instructions in the shop manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My symptoms point to Climate Control Unit, unless I'm missing something. I'm having similar issues, but not quite the same.

My Dual Zone EATC unit blows full hot air even when temperature setting is reduced. If I go all the way to the LOW setting, it gets cold, and then sometimes matches a near room temperature setting after. But even when it does, after a few minutes it starts blowing full hot air again even though I haven't touched the temperature settings.

This behaviour is identical for driver & passenger. Does anyone know, wouldn't this system have separate blend doors (for air temperature) for driver & passenger? If so, I'm thinking this is the DZ-EATC unit causing the problem and not a blend door issue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's probably the sensor. Change it.

The HVAC unit rely on the input from the sensor. All the way to LO or HI overwrite the sensor's reading.

Check the sensor next to the steering wheel. It's probably dirty (I've heard that 2-3 times before).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll give it a look. Do you think it would exhibit the same 'hot air' effect on the passenger side though too? Is there another sensor for the passenger side, or does it use the same one sensor as the feedback loop for both zones?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'll give it a look. Do you think it would exhibit the same 'hot air' effect on the passenger side though too? Is there another sensor for the passenger side, or does it use the same one sensor as the feedback loop for both zones?
That's a good question. I am currently away from home so I can't check the manual right now.

I *think*, there's only one sensor.

Check the sensor next to the steering, 5 minutes job.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Definately will do. Most likely I'll just swap it (only $20 part) and reply with results.

Thanks for your help!
These units require tools from Ford that we do not have to find a specific issue. Don't forget to report since we do not have much information on thr HVAC DualZone unit.

Thanks you and good luck friend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not only was the temperature sensor very dirty, it was not clipped into its intended position and was just loose sitting in the panel. I cleaned it carefully with a Q-tip and replaced it. So far, 2 days after, it seems to be behaving properly. Hopefully not a premature conclusion, but I'm feeling pretty confident we are fixed!!!

SOLVED!!!!!!!!! 3 Cheers for Squad-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Not only was the temperature sensor very dirty, it was not clipped into its intended position and was just loose sitting in the panel. I cleaned it carefully with a Q-tip and replaced it. So far, 2 days after, it seems to be behaving properly. Hopefully not a premature conclusion, but I'm feeling pretty confident we are fixed!!!

[cheers][cheers][cheers]

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's probably the sensor. Change it.

The HVAC unit rely on the input from the sensor. All the way to LO or HI overwrite the sensor's reading.

Check the sensor next to the steering wheel. It's probably dirty (I've heard that 2-3 times before).
Thanks for your posting on the dirty temperature sensor, Squad-G! Mind was filthy on my 2012 Focus. I blew my out with VERY LOW PRESSURE compressed air and the climate control works great now! Thanks again, Bob

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks for your posting on the dirty temperature sensor, Squad-G! Mind was filthy on my 2012 Focus. I blew my out with VERY LOW PRESSURE compressed air and the climate control works great now! Thanks again, Bob
Your welcome! Thank you for reporting it was the solution! Simple and cheap solution we like :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the EXACT issue, but I can’t figure out how to locate the area of the sensors. Do you have a link you could refer me to? Or when the manual is referenced in someone’s response are they talking about the manual that comes with the car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am having same and more of the same problem too. adding as mine can blow hot air in 1 vent and full cold in another. With temp set the same on both sides.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I was just about to post the same thing. Hanging loose behind the dash, and full of dust. Vacuumed it clean, then clipped it back in its slot. All is well so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts