Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the thread title I was driving my car the other day and everything was going smoothly up until the point that my car needed to upshift while accelerating rather gently it refused to upshift until the rpm's had red lined.

Afterwards I noticed this acrid smell coming in through my ac vents so I took it to the dealership thinking I might have roasted the clutch on the powershift but when one of the techs came out they said they couldn't smell anything.

Which is weird because u would still get whiffs of it from time to time I even managed too squirrel my arm far enough down too touch the transmission and it was actually fairly cool which makes me wonder what was making that smell.

Now my car has gotten stuck in a gear before but it self corrected when I shut it off and it annoyingly also self cleared the code which means the tech's couldn't figure out what was wrong.

But I wondering what could have made that smell.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
what kind of smell was it? burning metal, burning plastic? etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it smelled kinda of like burning plastic but the only strange behavior I had happen before the smell started happening is the refusal to upshift.

It smell's almost like I remember from welding in the shop in HS hot plastic and really really hot metal.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good chance it's actually nothing, but keep hounding the dealership until they figure out *what* it is.

More importantly, look up the use of "Too" on Google. Every single time you've written it you should be using "To".

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
could be any number of things... if it happens again, I would inform the dealership immediately, so they know there's an issue. they wont be able to do anything (or just wont) unless they can reproduce the issue, but it would be good to let them know something is wrong, that way if its ever something major and they deny a warranty claim or anything, you can go back and argue and say you've made them aware of the situation prior,

but like hotleadsingerguy said, chances are it's nothing and it was a one-off, might have been a clutch but depending on how tough it is it can take quite a beating... I glazed the f[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] out of my Mazdaspeed 3's clutch learning to drive it and acting like a [email protected]$$, and it held up just fine till I traded her in.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I once had a toxic smell and it was a plastic shopping bag wrapped around the exhaust.
Struggled to get all the plastic off as I did not want to use sandpaper.
Was able to get most of it off once the exhaust was ice cold.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I also had a burning plastic smell in the cabin today. Opened windows, thinking it was something outside. It wasn't.

Have no idea what it was, as it is now gone.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I also had a burning plastic smell in the cabin today. Opened windows, thinking it was something outside. It wasn't.

Have no idea what it was, as it is now gone.
riding that clutch lol!?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
About the "dealer advisor must be able to experience the condition".
Yeah it is a hassle.. for intermittent issues.
Ford can even install a device which records your driving, so intermittent issues can be recorded.

·
Registered
800 Posts
As per the thread title I was driving my car the other day and everything was going smoothly up until the point that my car needed to upshift while accelerating rather gently it refused to upshift until the rpm's had red lined.

Afterwards I noticed this acrid smell coming in through my ac vents so I took it to the dealership thinking I might have roasted the clutch on the powershift but when one of the techs came out they said they couldn't smell anything.

Which is weird because u would still get whiffs of it from time to time I even managed too squirrel my arm far enough down too touch the transmission and it was actually fairly cool which makes me wonder what was making that smell.

Now my car has gotten stuck in a gear before but it self corrected when I shut it off and it annoyingly also self cleared the code which means the tech's couldn't figure out what was wrong.

But I wondering what could have made that smell.
Check your brakes. You may have a stuck pad, that would keep the car in a lower gear and cause the smell. It could pop free after it cooled down or you applied pressure to it. If the car senses a load, it will not shift gears. Or your parking brake wore enough material away to release the brakes! ???

·
Registered
832 Posts
riding that clutch lol!?
Har! DCT here. I'll be keeping a nose out for it, again. It was definitely a burning plastic smell, not clutch plate stink!

(sigh)

Smelled like a wire connector plug, when its connection isn't solid, and pulls too much amperage.

Sniff, sniff. Really hope it does it again, so I may find out the cause. Speculation is killing me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Har! DCT here. I'll be keeping a nose out for it, again. It was definitely a burning plastic smell, not clutch plate stink!

(sigh)

Smelled like a wire connector plug, when its connection isn't solid, and pulls too much amperage.

Sniff, sniff. Really hope it does it again, so I may find out the cause. Speculation is killing me.
Possibly a piece of glue or sealant on the HVAC system that finally heated up enough for you to smell it? This happened in mu 06 mustang when it first got cold and the heat was turned to max.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Could be ST. I had to run the heater last few days. Will keep the sniffer peeled.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Deleted...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
how was it fixed due to im having the same issues
Hi budguyon,

Welcome to the forum! Have you had a chance to visit your dealer about this? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts