Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this morning (71 degrees) and other occasions where the temperature was in the 70’s when the A/C is on, ever so often I notice I get a smell of humidity in the car, like the A/C compressor turns off for a few minutes at a time. Then it will return to normal cooling after that time.

Is the system detecting the A/C condenser freezing up and letting it thaw out? Is the A/C Freon low causing the condenser to freeze up? Or is this normal where the car is trying to be more economical turning the A/C compressor off?

·
Registered
781 Posts
pretty normal for most AC systems to cycle between on and off periods, in your car or in your house, even your refrigerator. you smell the humidity because your system is set to let fresh air in, it you turn it to recycle you won't let any fresh air in and no humidity.

also, modern car systems don't use freon any longer. just fyi. ozone holes and all that..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that they cycle on/off. But vehicle A/C systems don't normally cycle off for that length of time where you smell humidity in the air.

And I think you know what I meant by "freon". R134A to be exact then.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I find this very annoying too so I always have my A/C temp on max setting and fan speed at low. It doesn't switch off often on the max setting.

At any setting lower than that, the A/C keeps cutting off for extended periods of time and it is so very frustrating and the only option is to increase the cooling or fan speed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maybe it is similar to the older models where the compressor kicks off at a certain RPM (2900 in my car) to give you more power when accelerating.

·
Registered
185 Posts
sometimes it seems like the climate control gets hung up and I just hit the max button twice, then it all kicks back on to where it should be.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe it is similar to the older models where the compressor kicks off at a certain RPM (2900 in my car) to give you more power when accelerating.
Good thought, but when this happens it's crusing at a constant speed on the highway, and also when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
781 Posts
well if you set the system to recycle air, you shouldn't be getting any outside air and humidity. if you keep it set to fresh air, as soon as it cycles off and some fresh air drifts in you might smell some. guess it depends on how sensitive you are. mine never seems to cycle off for that long.

and you'd be surprised at how many people still thing freon is used..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Temp in the 70's, and you need A/C. WTF, over.

You must be my wife...[hihi]

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Temp in the 70's, and you need A/C. WTF, over.

You must be my wife...[hihi]
You must be a real "man" driving down the highway at 5 in the morning at 90% humidity with the windows fogging up without A/C.

When you have something constuctive to add to the original post, you can come back to the adult table.

·
Registered
210 Posts
well if you set the system to recycle air, you shouldn't be getting any outside air and humidity. if you keep it set to fresh air, as soon as it cycles off and some fresh air drifts in you might smell some. guess it depends on how sensitive you are. mine never seems to cycle off for that long.
I'd love to leave it always on recycle but if I reduce the A/C to anything buy Max cooling, it automatically switches to 'outside air'. I don't remember if it defaults to 'outside air' when I turn on the fan everyday though

·
Registered
366 Posts
90% humidity with the windows fogging up without A/C.
When you figure out where the power window switch is to "crack a window"
you may come and join the adult drivers here.

Real men drive in 90% humidity all the time in Texas, without A/C. We just
know how to deal with it.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
On the same lines, I notice my A/C air smells funny right after I turn the car on after it has been sitting in the sun for a few hours. It goes away after about a minute. Wonder if something is growing in my cabin air filter...

BTW its all freon. R-12 or R-134a it doesn't make a difference. Its like saying its not a car, its a Ford.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well my car is in the shop. the vent that closes off the car from the outside air is sqeaking LOUDLY... It gets annoying when every time the A/C cycles from fresh to re-cycled to have the nails on a chalk board sound!

·
Registered
210 Posts
well my car is in the shop. the vent that closes off the car from the outside air is sqeaking LOUDLY... It gets annoying when every time the A/C cycles from fresh to re-cycled to have the nails on a chalk board sound!
just saying that made me shudder. Hope the shop fixes it asap [thumb]

·
Registered
130 Posts
sometimes it seems like the climate control gets hung up and I just hit the max button twice, then it all kicks back on to where it should be.
Is your outside temperature display showing 70F when this happens? No matter what the outside temperature is? This is also happening to me too; the HVAC seems to get confused when this happens and stops working correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts