Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the 2012 Focus in automatic gets 37 mpg on the highway or 38 mpg? The numbers are different everywhere. At first I always saw 38 mpg and now it seems like 37 mpg. Did the government change it or does it make a different on the trim and options. Also, I am not talking about the SFE package.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
37 * 80% = 29.6 mpg (because you're using the AC, and driving faster than the EPA test)

29.6 * 95% = 28.12 mpg (10% ethanol in gas)

or

38 * 80% = 30.4 mpg * 95% = 28.88 mpg..............

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile It was just the way it was tested by the EPA. It doesnt mean that the same tranny with sport shift is less efficient. And as always, your numbers will vary in the real world.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It doesn't matter, fuel economy varies too much based on the driver and the type of driving for a 1mpg EPA rating difference to matter. EPA ratings aren't even useful when comparing two cars IMO, the Elantra got worse MPGs than the Focus in one of the comparos I read, and its EPA rating was higher.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have an SE Hatch with sport shift we never use, and it averages 30mpg (actual at the pump number) comibined. It's all realative to the way you drive. This is my wifes car. She has a heavy foot. I get slightly better combined mgs in my 08 Focus

·
Registered
41 Posts
On Friday I did a 200-mile round trip on the interstate, average speed 65-70, will fill ups at beginning and end. The hand-held calculator average: 30.3mpg. (201 miles - 6.6 gallons). 1500 miles on my Titanium sedan.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Btw Ill mention it since its relative, check those tires. Seems that there have beenany occurances where the dealers are not checking tire pressure before these go out, people are running like 44psi. This will greatly effect both ride and fuel mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts