Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, you've all played around with your 2.0's and modded the hell out of them. What do you think the new 2012 Focus 2.0 would benefit from the most? Best bang for the buck type of deal. This is a brand new engine and not much data is out there to showcase mod improvements so it's all speculation. I figured I'd ask some people who would have good insight into what would actually work or what worked the best for them. Any input is appreciated.

• Engine type 2.0L Ti-VCT GDI I-4
  • Engine electronics Powertrain Control Module
  • Displacement 2.0 liters (121.99 cu. in.)
  • Horsepower (SAE [email protected]) 160 @ 6500 rpm
  • Torque (lb. ft. @ rpm) 146 @ 4450 rpm
  • Compression ratio 12.0:1
  • Bore x stroke (in.) 3.44 x 3.27
  • Main bearings Micro-bored aluminum alloy
  • Valve lifters Direct-acting mechanical bucket
  • Fuel delivery Direct injection
  • Recommended fuel Regular
  • Exhaust Single, stainless steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R15VWg2scQk
<-not my video... skip to 5:00 to see the engine bay.

·
Banned
58 Posts
I just got mine too. I have ordered a K&N drop in. As you can see its already sucking in cool air. I'm deleting 2 mufflers on the airbox. Thats all you need as far as intake. Dont waste your money on metal intakes that trap heat. just sayin man....

·
Registered
533 Posts
i still stand by just popping off the top cover of the airbox, the cone filter ford uses is darn close to any extra gains from an aftermarket cone and it sounds much better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Empirical evidence is what is needed.

If i wanted what to base a purchase on what someones butt feels I would be buying ass and not performance parts.

I'm waiting on a tune.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
You would be shocked to put a datalogger on the 2012 and see what happens with just changing the drop in filter , adding headers almost any change

This engine is new to the Focus but not new to me I have been working with it in the Mazda for a few years

I wouldnt do many changes to the 2012 till some tuning comes out

Tom

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i still stand by just popping off the top cover of the airbox, the cone filter ford uses is darn close to any extra gains from an aftermarket cone and it sounds much better.
I took the top off mine for a tank and didn't see any mpg difference. It actually seemed to lag more with the lid off. other than sound I'm not sure it's much of an improvement.. (I like the silent treatment/ sleeper look from my cars).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got mine too. I have ordered a K&N drop in. As you can see its already sucking in cool air. I'm deleting 2 mufflers on the airbox. Thats all you need as far as intake. Dont waste your money on metal intakes that trap heat. just sayin man....
Are you modding your stock airbox or modding the exhaust? I've been thinking about doing a first exhaust muffler delete but I'm concerned about the sound.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I took the top off mine for a tank and didn't see any mpg difference. It actually seemed to lag more with the lid off. other than sound I'm not sure it's much of an improvement.. (I like the silent treatment/ sleeper look from my cars).
I didnt mean that it actually helped mileage, I meant that whatever minimal gains it gets from that (if there are any?) it is not much better to use a $250 aftermarket over just the ford cone.

I agree, anyone who thinks that this will actually do anything to help gas mileage or performance is HIGHLY mistaken haha. It just sounds cool

·
Registered
276 Posts
For the exhaust. If you take the last muffler off you car its a subtle noise. The intake with no cover is louder then the exhaust with no back muffler.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Are you modding your stock airbox or modding the exhaust? I've been thinking about doing a first exhaust muffler delete but I'm concerned about the sound.
I only deleted the bottom muffler under the filter. There is a hole. Just seal a cut peice of plastic over it. Don't remove something if u don't have to. Not sure on an exhaust yet????

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think that best bang for your buck mods would be CAI, race header, 2.5" exhaust, with a tune. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything except the ford racing exhaust. It would be nice to see the ~200whp NA that I've found with 2zz-ge.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Tom, since you worked with these engines before what are we to expect with simple bolt ons and a tune, ie: CAI, header, exhaust and a solid tune?

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
The engine responds well to mods , I 100% cannot stress enough that no mods need to be done till tuning comes out

This is a Diff ECU and a lot of new things on this engine that no one on this site has messed with I would be very carefull

Fuel pump driven off the cam , makes SERIOUS PSI change the fuel pump gears to make even more volume and psi , direction injection into the Cyl where the Inj wont have to be changed till about 450-500HP to the wheels and it goes on

Wait for tuning

Tom

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any development of the tuning part has anyone been able to get into the ECU and tweak with it yet?

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
There has to be more companies than SCT working on this. What about Cobb? Good thing about that is, Cobb is in Austin, dyno and all, so they would be able to handle every aspect of the tuning(and fine tuning) process.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently deleted the back muffler and replaced with some stainless steel pipe and a nice tip. I am very pleased with the sound as it gives a nice, deep somewhat loud sound but nothing too over the top. I am looking at intakes next, and i have a few questions in which i need advice. I dont want to replace the whole intake id rather just take the top off and drop in a cone filter. I am wondering if this has any positive effects as far as better MPG, sound, throttle response, and overall performance. Also by doing this would it void off any sort of warrantly since im just replacing the filter?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts