Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some new things (to me) that I've noticed in the new Focus, coming from a 99 Exploder:

Automatic AC Disabling
-If you put a lot of demand on the engine and the AC is running, it will turn off the compressor to give you extra drivetrain power.

Alternator Switching
-During normal driving and heavy acceleration, the alternator switches off and the engine runs from battery power and back on as necessary (seen with radar detector voltmeter).

It's almost like there's a supply and demand aspect to the engine control, and I wonder if sport mode, with its engine-assisted deceleration, gets comparable gas mileage to normal with the alternator and compressor harvesting the decelerating power.

What else have you noticed about this car that's a feature you don't typically see?

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
most of the newer ford's do this. for example, an 02 town car will shut the ac compressor off for more power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this even happened back in the vacuum days just off the drop in manifold pressure. Easy for a computer to do nowadays...
The WOT (wide open throttle) switch would cut off the compressor and other non-essentials.

I was going to say, you probably never saw it on your Exploder because it probably was never short of power. But, your 99 Explorer shows at 160hp for the 4.0 liter. Isn't that the same as the focus for half the size engine an substantially less weight?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, my '86 Caprice Classic would disengage the a/c under a high load. It had a manifold vacuum switch.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Well, you don't typically see:
- Blind spot mirrors
- Ability to change interior lighting to one of 7 colours
- Rain sensing wipers
- Special storage area in the glovebox for the manual
- One touch up and down for ALL windows
- Reversing predictions (white lines on the camera image)

·
Registered
263 Posts
- Blind spot mirrors
- Rain sensing wipers
I noticed this one the other day. Its not a big deal, but it was a nice thought by ford.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
One of the things I really enjoy is the lane change signal. If you don't know about it you just tap the turn signal switch up/down to just before the switch locks on and it flashes the corresponding signal 3 times.

·
Registered
155 Posts
One of the things I really enjoy is the lane change signal. If you don't know about it you just tap the turn signal switch up/down to just before the switch locks on and it flashes the corresponding signal 3 times.
That is a German requirement if I remember correctly. All my VW's have had it for years. I'm so used to it I'm really glad they left it in.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I love this feature since I am on the highway all the time. Maybe if they put this feature in all cars people would use their turn signals! Probably not.

Also have noticed it in the 2011 Fiesta, Edge and F-150

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Chrysler/Dodge has been doing the signal thing for at least a handful of years now too.

As far as things that the Focus brings to the American masses that hasn't already been done ad nauseum...I like the DCG. In sport mode it's absolutely fantastic, and once you learn to drive it right it shifts super tight and is almost always where you want it. If you drive like an oblivious idiot then it probably ends up acting like most other autos, but I've found by paying attention to it and use the throttle and brake appropriately I can keep it in the gear I want it to be in in most cases. Makes for a great time on the open roads.

Not too many other cars available in the US with the DCG. Pretty sure this is the first domestic to offer it, short of any high end sports/super cars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After driving VW's DSG our DCG doesn't feel too good. Shifts are noticibly slower than DSG, and you can forget about shifts if you are choosing in sports mode, It'll rev an extra grand before switching gears.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
After driving VW's DSG our DCG doesn't feel too good. Shifts are noticibly slower than DSG, and you can forget about shifts if you are choosing in sports mode, It'll rev an extra grand before switching gears.
When I worked for VW, I was amazed by the DSG! i miss driving a DSG

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, the VW DSG is better but I think it has been around for a bit longer, there is no doubt the Mk3 could do with some tweaking to make it better as it had similar issues on the Mondeo over here and isn't our favourite...
Chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
When slowing down to say a stop sign or traffic light the car will shut the fuel off and use the inertia of the car rolling to keep the transmission moving. When you come to a stop it turns the fuel flow back on.

·
Registered
243 Posts
- Blind spot mirrors
- Rain sensing wipers
Thanks for this! I just ran out and looked in my glovebox and sure enough, it has a nice slot at the top. Now I have more room for "stuff". [:)]

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, lane change signals should be an option on cars these days since 90% of the population doesn't use them anymore.

"Give me the A/C and the vanity mirror because I'll use those. Don't bother with the signals though. I'll never touch them. I'll just drift around between lanes and the rest of the world can watch out for ME! I'M THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE" thought most of the drivers both in front of and behind me!

·
Banned
571 Posts
When slowing down to say a stop sign or traffic light the car will shut the fuel off and use the inertia of the car rolling to keep the transmission moving. When you come to a stop it turns the fuel flow back on.
What dear sir, are you talking about[???:)]

·
Registered
519 Posts
What dear sir, are you talking about[???:)]
Deceleration-Fuel-Shut-Off or FDSO, and it's an aggressive DFSO, so after only a couple of seconds with your foot off the gas pedal, the fuel flow shuts off, and the tranny holds the revs, so that when fuel flows resumes after depressing the gas pedal or coming to a complete stop, it's not noticeable. I've come to realize it's THIS feature that makes ALL the difference in the world in achieving the EPA's MPG for this vehicle.

Unfortunately, you can either enjoy your car and drive it normally, or you focus your mind and attention on trying to infinitely coast and make driving a chore...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts