Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am just wondering how long it is taking peoples rear defrosts to clear their windows. Mine took an honest 25 minutes today with the temp only being 28 degrees. I am worried about when it starts to get even colder and there is snow. Is this normal. My '05 focus took maybe 10 minutes max.

Any thoughts on this would be appreacitated.

Katie

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey guys I am just wondering how long it is taking peoples rear defrosts to clear their windows. Mine took an honest 25 minutes today with the temp only being 28 degrees. I am worried about when it starts to get even colder and there is snow. Is this normal. My '05 focus took maybe 10 minutes max.

Katie
I've experienced similar. The heating elements on the back window and side mirrors are very weak.
Hi guys,

Have you had the chance to visit your dealer to get this diagnosed? Let me know, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I hated my Focus when it was super cold out. Not only did the rear defroster not work terribly well, but the heat was never super hot unless I spent 20+ minutes on the freeway. I could literally drive on the street (often times hitting 55-60 mph) all day long until I ran out of gas and the heat would only stay "kinda hot". Super freakin' annoying when it's 5*F outside.

I don't know why that is such an issue, it didn't seem like there were any issues the first year I had it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I hated my Focus when it was super cold out. Not only did the rear defroster not work terribly well, but the heat was never super hot unless I spent 20+ minutes on the freeway. I could literally drive on the street (often times hitting 55-60 mph) all day long until I ran out of gas and the heat would only stay "kinda hot". Super freakin' annoying when it's 5*F outside.

I don't know why that is such an issue, it didn't seem like there were any issues the first year I had it.
Do you still have your Focus? I noticed you were referring to it in past tense. If you do, please let me know the mileage and if you've been to your dealer for diagnosis so I can look into options.

Meagan

·
Registered
897 Posts

Sounds like your heater core/thermostat needed to be replaced my car can get uncomfortably hot in 5-10 mins of just idling. when ~10* f out.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
No I do not have a Focus any longer.

I suspected a thermostat issue but the dealer said it was fine. Of course when I took it in it was a bit warmer then when it usually acted up...

I checked the engine temp it would stay at 180*F-ish for the most part. I thought it was the thermostat as I could easily drop it 10* (or more) by getting the revs up.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

Katie
I know the mk3 focus use the AC compressor combined with heating (when selected) to help defogging while in the defrost position.

AC with heat could take longer to heat the cabin.... did you tried any other position than defrost and defrost + foot ?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I know the mk3 focus use the AC compressor combined with heating (when selected) to help defogging while in the defrost position.

AC with heat could take longer to heat the cabin.... did you tried any other position than defrost and defrost + foot ?
The AC doesn't defrost the rear window / side mirror.

You should leave the AC off and always use "Windshield + Foot" in the winter with ~20/22°C.

On the subject, mine used to defrost pretty quick the rear window... about 10 minutes MAX. The mirror never really worked for the side but it worked ok but the middle. Will test this winter again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine gets hot QUICK (turn A/C off) but i don't need any heat (yet) this year

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The AC doesn't defrost the rear window / side mirror.

You should leave the AC off and always use "Windshield + Foot" in the winter with ~20/22°C.

On the subject, mine used to defrost pretty quick the rear window... about 10 minutes MAX. The mirror never really worked for the side but it worked ok but the middle. Will test this winter again.
Sorry misread the OP... I was sure he was talking windshield ... oh well

The AC engage automatically even with the light off you know?

I was saying that AC turn on automatically when you select defrost mode. (Windshield + Foot and Windshield Positions)

So it might take longer to heat the cabin than Face+Foot.

My 2011 Ranger did that...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry misread the OP... I was sure he was talking windshield ... oh well

The AC engage automatically even with the light off you know?

I was saying that AC turn on automatically when you select defrost mode. (Windshield + Foot and Windshield Positions)

So it might take longer to heat the cabin than Face+Foot.

My 2011 Ranger did that...
All cars I have ever been in use the A/C in defrost mode. Its never seemed to make any of the cars I have owned heat up any slower. At least not noticeably.

·
Registered
319 Posts
All cars I have ever been in use the A/C in defrost mode. Its never seemed to make any of the cars I have owned heat up any slower. At least not noticeably.
Yep, the A/C removes the humidity which causes the fog on the inside of your windshield.

Other cars I've owned, the A/C only didn't work in vent and floor. However, the vent and floor mix used the A/C haha.

This was in cars that didn't have a specific button to turn the A/C on/off with so I have no idea if those buttons override A/C being on in most modes or what.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts