Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post!

My 2012 Titanium has a soft or mushy brake pedal feel at the top. After less than a inch of pedal travel it firms up.

Is this considered "normal"?

Would stainless steel brake lines help resolve this?

FYI - The brakes themselves work very well and I have no other issues with them.

I did do several searches on this subject and did not find any thing that really applies, so if this a redundant post, my apologies.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF!

Moved this down to the Brakes, Suspension & Chassis section for a better fit.

Description sounds pretty typical for most, I assume it's much harder with the engine off & that this isn't a recent change.

Braided stainless lines are popular because they remove one point of flex in the system. Largest improvement is seen when brake lines are the main flex point, such as with stiff racing type calipers. It's always a help, and few think they're not worth it after trying them. Your 4 corner discs should be reasonably stiff already, so the lines will likely be a noticeable improvement.

Press on the pedal with the engine off & you get a better "feel" for how much flex is in the system. The brake booster hides this feel a lot, and is the reason you get that soft feel before they firm up.

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

Any brand recommendations for S.S. hoses?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts