Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was browsing around on ebay and came across 2012 FORD FOCUS BILLET GRILLE 4PC COMBO KIT. Figured some people might be interested. Would be nice to see it on a car. [scratch]

·
Registered
671 Posts
er.... IDK how I feel about this.. anyone want to buy this for the hell of it and see how it looks? =P

·
Registered
190 Posts
er.... IDK how I feel about this.. anyone want to buy this for the hell of it and see how it looks? =P
I was about to write the same thing... I originally fell in love with this car because of the blacked out front louvers.

I can't tell if I like it or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Err... If those things are just slats and completely open, it kind of throws all the aerodynamics for the front end out the window. I think the grill is supposed to be completely closed except for when the little shutters open.

But, then, I don't have my car yet either.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I couldn't find much about the company based on a quick Google search. Unfortunately their name is a pretty generic term and a lot of websites have 'UTV products' they offer that are coming up. Found what COULD be the company, under a different name then the eBay account, that sells a lot of UTV stuff along with billet grilles for various vehicles...didn't see the 2012 Focus there and didn't see much in terms of buying right off their site.

Long story short I'm not sure I believe these are a quality product being less then $300. Maybe I'm off base, but I'd like to think that a 100% American made product from 6061 billet would cost a bit more. I'll talk to my machinist buddy soon and see what he has to say. I wouldn't be terribly interested if it's poorly made.

Also, would have to figure out something to block the top half of the main grill, as it looks absurd with the support structure there. Maybe a piece of black plastic against the support would work, I dunno.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was about to write the same thing... I originally fell in love with this car because of the blacked out front louvers.

I can't tell if I like it or not.
I was reading their auction description

If you would rather have it with the standard satin (brushed aluminum) finish, or perhaps powdercoated ENTIRELY (all flat black, or gloss black for example),
So they do offer all flat black/gloss black finish. I would probably much rather be interested in that but would definitely need to see pics first. They got decent rating reviews.

I'm going to send the seller a message and see if he can provide pics of both the Grille on the car itself or a pic of the Grille with the gloss black finish.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Err... If those things are just slats and completely open, it kind of throws all the aerodynamics for the front end out the window. I think the grill is supposed to be completely closed except for when the little shutters open.

But, then, I don't have my car yet either.
Considering only some models have the shutters, I don't see how it would matter much.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I couldn't find much about the company based on a quick Google search. Unfortunately their name is a pretty generic term and a lot of websites have 'UTV products' they offer that are coming up. Found what COULD be the company, under a different name then the eBay account, that sells a lot of UTV stuff along with billet grilles for various vehicles...didn't see the 2012 Focus there and didn't see much in terms of buying right off their site.

Long story short I'm not sure I believe these are a quality product being less then $300. Maybe I'm off base, but I'd like to think that a 100% American made product from 6061 billet would cost a bit more. I'll talk to my machinist buddy soon and see what he has to say. I wouldn't be terribly interested if it's poorly made.

Also, would have to figure out something to block the top half of the main grill, as it looks absurd with the support structure there. Maybe a piece of black plastic against the support would work, I dunno.
$300 for a grille is not cheap, imho. I trust ebay reviewers and majority of the negative/neutrals are from late shipping.

·
Registered
263 Posts
from the ebay page;

INSTALLATION...

The upper grille kit replaces the stock grille and overlays support. The lower three grilles require cutting and drilling. PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION IS REQUIRED. This provides the cleanest and nicest look. We are only an email away if you need help. We guarantee a snug fit with zero vibration or rattle.

That turns me off right there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Doesn't look very sturdy, we have bugs big enough to bend that metal.
Then the stuff behind the center part would need to be painted black.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
usually i like billet grilles on many vehicles but w/ the focus' tri 'grille' im not sure i like this look.. perhaps if it was in black and the two side grilles were closed it would look better?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Meh this is the answer I got:

We have already had TONS of interest in this grille kit. If you're an active member of that forum and you post quite often please give me a call because I've got the deal of a lifetime for you!

Talk to ya' soon,

UTVproducts
(727) 848-3300 - shop
VERY PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA!

but this was my question:

I was linked to your item from the Focus Fanatics website and many of us are definitely curious and interested in the Grille. I was personally wondering if you could provide any pictures with the grille mounted directly on the car and/or provide a picture with the Grille with the Glossy Black finish. Many of us would love to see how this would look in black.
I want pictures! I assume he wants to contact us for a "group-buy" offer?

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
You could always paint it yourself, too. I think they said it's polished so would have to hit it with an abrasive, first...but shouldn't be too expensive if you do it the old fashioned way, or know someone with a media blaster.

I'm thinking you could just paint that support brace black as well to make it look better.

Personally, I think it'd look best with a matte/bead blasted finish.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about states that require front plates? They should make some short of smooth looking adapter mounting bracket.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I think it could look good done up with the right set of wheels.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Actually, don't paint it...it's aluminum. Anodize it. Can get a ton of colors, and it'll help with corrosion. Mil-spec hard anodizing is a matte black and will resist scratches and chips real well...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts