Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
My AC seems to be working great now. In the 100 degree heat it got nice and cool. It seems like it needed time to break in. At first, it was very underwhelming but the more I used it, the better it got.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah air sucks in this car. yes it is in the 100s here but i ride in other cars and air is cool but in my focus i still sweat with it on max ac

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah air sucks in this car. yes it is in the 100s here but i ride in other cars and air is cool but in my focus i still sweat with it on max ac
Yours must be defective. Many days over 110 here and I do not have an issue with my A/C. Could be colder but more than adequate. I do not have it on high all the time. Hopefully yours can be resolved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its been several weeks since my last my post on the AC issue and its been well over 100 degrees here in southern Nevada. I just wanted to say, the AC is working perfectly still. Thanks again Ford.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've noticed that the AC compressor cuts out after extended idling now. Mine did not do this before the recall engine/trans/abs update. My engine also idles lower now than it did before the update. I'm thinking the lower idle ends up being low enough that the compressor cuts out and that's why we are having this problem. The compressor/idle interface needs resolved. That can't happen at the dealer, it'll take Ford to fix that.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 focus AC problem

Im trying to buy a 2012 ford focus manual transmission. I found the one I like - a black SE. I was ready to pay cash but decided to try the AC. It blew hot air for 5 minutes. The salesman claimed all the cars on the lot would do the same. I don't want to buy a new car that I know has a problem. Why hasn't ford dealt with this?
I am retiring my 2002 ford escape. It has 518,000 miles. Both of my sons learned to drive a manual and the clutch held up! I love that car and wanted to stay with ford after havin such a great experience with my Escape. Oh well.
I am going to test drive a manual transmission Elantra.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im trying to buy a 2012 ford focus manual transmission. I found the one I like - a black SE. I was ready to pay cash but decided to try the AC. It blew hot air for 5 minutes. The salesman claimed all the cars on the lot would do the same. I don't want to buy a new car that I know has a problem. Why hasn't ford dealt with this?
I am retiring my 2002 ford escape. It has 518,000 miles. Both of my sons learned to drive a manual and the clutch held up! I love that car and wanted to stay with ford after havin such a great experience with my Escape. Oh well.
I am going to test drive a manual transmission Elantra.
I can tell you as an owner of a Focus manual the A/C isn't as good as I'd hoped. That said, it really seems to be overwhelmed with anything above about 90 degrees. Once you're driving it improves and I wonder if the air flow through the grill is an issue for the condenser. As for blowing "hot air" the air isn't really hot but isn't as cool as it should be either (in times of high heat, I mean). The last few days we've had milder (mid to high 80's) weather here in the South and it's been cooling as good as anything I've owned.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Add me to the list of the random no A/C. Latest one was while I was idling with a light...no cold air coming out the entire time the light was red. It's so intermittent, I hesitate bringing it to the dealer for this.

I do think the a/c always has a slightly musty odor, something you'd expect on a car with 100K that's been around the block.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Add me to the list of the random no A/C. Latest one was while I was idling with a light...no cold air coming out the entire time the light was red. It's so intermittent, I hesitate bringing it to the dealer for this.

I do think the a/c always has a slightly musty odor, something you'd expect on a car with 100K that's been around the block.
I think your compressor is faulty if it blows warm. The smell could be based on not properly draining the condensation from the evaporator core, though that could be from user error, but this might be less likely than a clogged drain. Idk.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think your compressor is faulty if it blows warm. The smell could be based on not properly draining the condensation from the evaporator core, though that could be from user error, but this might be less likely than a clogged drain. Idk.
The intermittent burst of warm air is not uncommon in this thread. I get substantial puddles of water under the car, so it's draining. The a/c works 98% of the time perfectly for me.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The intermittent burst of warm air is not uncommon in this thread. I get substantial puddles of water under the car, so it's draining. The a/c works 98% of the time perfectly for me.
I don't know, apart from the first couple minutes from starting the car when its been heat soaked all day (which I combated by tinting the windows and using a sun shield, but the vents still get warm when its at or around 100F outside.) I've never gotten an intermittent burst of warm air. The A/C did seem to take a few minutes at most to pull down at first, but now it seems to work better and faster the more I've used it in the 3300 miles or so I've driven the car so far. Mine seems to work properly from what I can tell, even sitting in traffic I've not lost the cooling effect of the a/c.

I did have a damp smell at one point in time, but that was very early in my ownership with the car, and I hadn't been turning the a/c off before turning the car off or turning recirc off at the time, I cleaned out the vents with a little bit of Ozium and for the most part remembered to turn it off before shutting the car down, and that generally hasn't re-occurred since.

So if you're getting an intermittent failure it seems like its the compressor, as someone else reported that it was the problem with theirs when they had a similar issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read a few pages of people have a/c problems with the 2012 Focus. I am one of the ones that have the musty, moldy smells and now I am also noticing a cigarette smoke smell (car has never been smoked in nor have someone that smelt like smoke in it) I had to remove my front passenger floor mat cause it smelt so bad and COULD NOT remove odor from it (washed with soap and water, Vinegar, sun bath for hours, still smells) I know the dealer will say there is nothing wrong but after seeing all of these post I will make sure they find the source of the problem.. Ford family and this does not put a smile on my face

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Not the same type of warm air issues some people are having, but I've been driving with my climate control off and at LEAST 4-5 times now it has turned itself on - everytime it shows the LO - LO setting and the fans on full blast with the A/C on.

I feel like it might happen when I hit a bump? I'm wondering if it's a button clearance issue or something. Anyone else ever have this issue? (May 2011 build)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Ford Focus Air Conditioning Issues

I have now had our ford focus that we bought this spring in for it's 4th trip to the dealer for air conditioning issues. Like all of the other posts I have seen here, the ac stops blowing cold air and smells terrible randomly. I dropped my car off on Aug 9th am. It is now Aug 28th. The dealer had the problem happen once while they were driving it but couldn't get it to do it while they had it hooked up to the computer. They drove my car over 300 miles, did nothing and just called me up and told me to get the car, it's fine. The dealer agreed that it did the problem once for them so... am I just supposed to accept that an occasional problem is ok? I don't think so. Then, they actually argued with my husband when he told them it better come back with a full tank of gas since that is what we dropped it off with. Like a moron, I agreed to let them drive the car as much as they needed to. They would not even give us a loaner to drive because we didn't buy the extended warranty. What that has to do with it I don't know.[mecry]

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's probably time to call Ford directly. Bypass the dealer. The problem with car dealers is that they're run by car dealer people. Somewhere between people who torture animals and lawyers who defend them are car dealers.

Customer Relationship Center
United States
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Local Time
Monday-Friday

BY TWITTER
@FordService
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Monday-Friday

·
Registered
2 Posts
So.... We opened a case with Ford two weeks ago. Still no help. Since I picked up the car I purchased a thermomer that I stuck in the vent. I have been tracking and noting the problem. It's happened 4 more times since I brought it home. This morning I had the bright idea to videotape the thermometer as I drove. Surprise, surprise, the problem happened while I drove back to work from lunch today. The temperature rose 10 degrees in seconds and the humidity changed significantly so that I had to wipe off the thermometer to read it. I then called the dealer and the Ford rep and told them if it's not fixed and we are not given a rental car to drive while it's being fixed we are filing lemon law. We'll see..........

By the way, the dealer continued to say that they could not replicate it and without being able to replicate it they couldn't do anything. It's amazing that I have driven it less than 50 miles since I picked it up and it's happened 4 times and they have driven it for over 300 miles and can't replicate the problem.[?|]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can't figure out any sort of pattern. The definite AC cutouts that I recall are either sitting at a red traffic light or else using cruise control. Tabby's response is why I'm reluctant to take my car to the dealer.

I'm not a mechanical engineer by any means, but I'd think if it was a bad lot of compressors, the problems would be getting worse over time.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Add me to the list of the random no A/C. Latest one was while I was idling with a light...no cold air coming out the entire time the light was red. It's so intermittent, I hesitate bringing it to the dealer for this...
I can't figure out any sort of pattern. The definite AC cutouts that I recall are either sitting at a red traffic light or else using cruise control. Tabby's response is why I'm reluctant to take my car to the dealer....
I read a few pages of people have a/c problems with the 2012 Focus. I am one of the ones that have the musty, moldy smells and now I am also noticing a cigarette smoke smell (car has never been smoked in nor have someone that smelt like smoke in it) I had to remove my front passenger floor mat cause it smelt so bad and COULD NOT remove odor from it...
Not the same type of warm air issues some people are having, but I've been driving with my climate control off and at LEAST 4-5 times now it has turned itself on - everytime it shows the LO - LO setting and the fans on full blast with the A/C on...
I have now had our ford focus that we bought this spring in for it's 4th trip to the dealer for air conditioning issues. Like all of the other posts I have seen here, the ac stops blowing cold air and smells terrible randomly. I dropped my car off on Aug 9th am. It is now Aug 28th. The dealer had the problem happen once while they were driving it but couldn't get it to do it while they had it hooked up to the computer. They drove my car over 300 miles, did nothing and just called me up and told me to get the car, it's fine. The dealer agreed that it did the problem once for them so... am I just supposed to accept that an occasional problem is ok? I don't think so. Then, they actually argued with my husband when he told them it better come back with a full tank of gas since that is what we dropped it off with. Like a moron, I agreed to let them drive the car as much as they needed to. They would not even give us a loaner to drive because we didn't buy the extended warranty...
So.... We opened a case with Ford two weeks ago. Still no help. Since I picked up the car I purchased a thermomer that I stuck in the vent. I have been tracking and noting the problem. It's happened 4 more times since I brought it home. This morning I had the bright idea to videotape the thermometer as I drove. Surprise, surprise, the problem happened while I drove back to work from lunch today. The temperature rose 10 degrees in seconds and the humidity changed significantly so that I had to wipe off the thermometer to read it. I then called the dealer and the Ford rep...
I can tell you as an owner of a Focus manual the A/C isn't as good as I'd hoped. That said, it really seems to be overwhelmed with anything above about 90 degrees. Once you're driving it improves and I wonder if the air flow through the grill is an issue for the condenser. As for blowing "hot air" the air isn't really hot but isn't as cool as it should be either (in times of high heat, I mean). The last few days we've had milder (mid to high 80's) weather here in the South and it's been cooling as good as anything I've owned.
It's probably time to call Ford directly...

United States
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Local Time
Monday-Friday

BY TWITTER
@FordService
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Monday-Friday
Hey everyone -

Thanks for putting up the contact info, jpolk84! [thumb] I'm an extension of our Customer Relationship Center in a different communication medium. If your AC isn't operating as expected, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll escalate this with your regional Customer Service Managers.

Tabby, please PM me your case number and I'll look into it.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, [:)]

Thomas

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Focus Air Conditioner

I just want to add my name to the list of 2012 Focus owners who have the air conditioner problem of it cutting off & blowing warm air mainly during stop & go traffic but also on the longer interstate trips. We took ours to the local Ford dealer, explained the problem, but since they could not "re-create" it while they had it in the shop they did not have any answers for us. Said maybe if enough people complained there may be a recall. My car has 26,895 miles and is just a little over 2 years old. Can someone offer any suggestions as to how to get this fixed??

161 - 180 of 338 Posts