Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
My AC works well when I'm just cruising along, however, if I'm driving like an idiot and flooring it from every light (hey, sometimes I get in that mood) it will blow out hot air for about 5 seconds. Then it will go back to cold air. It's a very noticeable difference in the temperature of the air. Does anyone else experience this?
Shouldn't happen.
Reason:
When you floor it even if the pump switched off for a while the evaporator should be freezing cold.

2 things I've noticed.

The Aircon is mediocre for this car. (Sucks)
When the car has been switched off for a while heat from the engine is somehow getting inside the ventilation system and when you first switch on the car there is a blast of hot air for a few seconds.

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
Shouldn't happen.
Reason:
When you floor it even if the pump switched off for a while the evaporator should be freezing cold.

2 things I've noticed.

When the car has been switched off for a while heat from the engine is somehow getting inside the ventilation system and when you first switch on the car there is a blast of hot air for a few seconds.
If you floor it the compressor is turned off to provide the extra horsepower the car would have used to run the compressor, depending on the delta temperature of the incoming air vs the cooled evaporator can result in the evaporator core heating up quicker than you'd think since it can only draw so much heat out of the air before itself being warmed back up if the refrigerant is not being cycled through the compressor and condenser at the same rate as when the system is operational.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be heat soak from the engine, the inlet to the cabin air is located on the firewall and the top of the vents are only partially shielded by the hood. If it's hot enough out/ there is enough solar gain that can also cause the trapped air in the ventilation system to heat up tremendously, this is seemingly normal for every car I've ever driven, however the extent of the problem depends on how long it takes for the hot air to be purged from the car. That's on top of the solar gain through the windows heating the cabin of the car up before turning the hvac system to on.

It does take a few minutes to pull down so far, but then again its also new and not fully broken in in my particular case as the car has fewer than 1000 miles (1609km) on it at this present time. However if set to lo on the climate control system it has consistently gotten reasonably cold soon enough as long as I closed the right hand center stack vent. I would close off both passenger side ducts if I was driving by my self, but the outboard panel registers tend to squeek and do not seem to happy to have the air redirected back against them rather than through them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shouldn't happen.
Reason:

2 things I've noticed.

Bzzt wrong. When applying full application of throttle just about every brand of Ford GM Honda (the three that I know best) will cut off the AC for extra power to the engine. This has been happening since all the way from at least 1994 that I can recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bzzt wrong. When applying full application of throttle just about every brand of Ford GM Honda (the three that I know best) will cut off the AC for extra power to the engine. This has been happening since all the way from at least 1994 that I can recall.
I understand why this occurs (I read up on it before posting), but maybe I didn't do a good enough job explaining the extent of it. My family has a 2010 as well as a 2011 Focus, and neither of them gets this hot in that scenario. No vehicle I have ever driven has this dramatic of a shift in the temperature in that scenario, except for the 2012 focus. Does anyone else have any experience with this? VTwin, you seem to know a lot about air conditioning, if you have a 2012 Focus, give it a whirl and compare it to your past experiences with other cars.

Sidenote, the smilies on this forum are fantastic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A/C not working from day one fixed

First post thought I would add my issue...bought my car 2 weeks ago 3 days in I took it back to the dealer for A/C not working from day one...invoice says wireing harness was repaired. Works great now. All in all been driving it alot took it on a 2.5 hour road trip SUPER happy about mileage as I owned a mustang before. Very happy with this car.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts

That was standard all te way back in 1987 wih my 5.0 Mustang...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Living in Phoenix, AC is a must. I took it to a dealer with my concern and was told all is well. It's roughly 105 out now. I drove the highway 20 miles home and was still sweating when I pulled into my garage. I find it hard to believe this is the norm for a brand new car. Two words sum up the way I'm feeling about the car...buyers remorse.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After complaining about the a/c on this car for almost a year, my dealership "finally" listened to me and have replaced the condenser, which was "cracked" and was constantly leaking coolant...duh, why they don't listen to the people that actually drive the vehicle is beyond me! Anyway, I get my car back this afternoon and they have also performed the transmission/abs etc. update and they finally figured out how to install the "remote start" that actually works with my existing I/A key-fob! I will report back after I've had the car for a bit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Update from my original post. Per the dealership the AC was indeed running out of range and giving a code of 4564. The range hi 205 and low 45 w duct temp of 56. Found that the system was overcharged and reserviced into approved operating spec. hi 180 low 34 duct temp 44.

This may be a factory issue where the over pressurized over serviced reservoire is causing poor initial performance. It would also stand to reason why the more its used, the more it seems to work correctly. Thanks Gaudin Ford, you guys did a good job.
thanks for the Codes and info. I contacted my dealership, and gave them the skinny on my car's AC with your Code number. Hope that helps them! they can't get me in for a week, but it's not supposed to be AS hot here in Cincy the next few days.

they said I was the first 2012 Focus that they're heard of that had an A/C unit that wouldn't blow cold air. My car only blows cool air regardless of setting.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Update from my original post. Per the dealership the AC was indeed running out of range and giving a code of 4564.Thanks Gaudin Ford, you guys did a good job.
..The AC intermittently working fine and then not working at all is a bit of a concern. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with my local Ford dealer to get its oil changed and tires rotated. I'll be asking them to take a look at the AC unit and its nice to see that there is indeed a known issue.
VTwin60,

Thanks for the update. I hope you and your family have a great time cruising around in the Focus this summer. [:)]

Just to add my experience... the A/C condenser froze up late last summer. Started to burn up the serpentine belt as well. Ford handled that very quickly under warranty. About two weeks ago, I took it back in because it was blowing hot air for the A/C. It was just a burned out fuse this time. Still, not a very good track record with the A/C. That said, Ford has taken care of me during service visits without fail.
Hey mattlqx,

Ahhhh....sounds as though cool breezes are flowing through your vehicle. Great to know! If you need assistance in the future, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

My AC works well when I'm just cruising along, however, if I'm driving like an idiot and flooring it from every light (hey, sometimes I get in that mood) it will blow out hot air for about 5 seconds. Then it will go back to cold air...
Seriously, Tenacious, you had me ROFL! I'm thinking this is not a serious problem. However, if it is, shoot me a PM for assistance.

i'm seeing it just take a long time to get cool and then it's not as cool as I'd expect it to be.
Have you taken the Focus to the dealer, jpolk84? If not, make an appointment, and send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I'll escalate the A/C concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

First post thought I would add my issue...bought my car 2 weeks ago 3 days in I took it back to the dealer for A/C not working from day one...invoice says wireing harness was repaired. Works great now. All in all been driving it alot took it on a 2.5 hour road trip SUPER happy about mileage as I owned a mustang before. Very happy with this car.
Happy Focus owners make me happy, Tyson! Have a great summer. [:)]

Living in Phoenix, AC is a must. I took it to a dealer with my concern and was told all is well. It's roughly 105 out now. I drove the highway 20 miles home and was still sweating when I pulled into my garage...
Let's make sure the A/C is in working condition, 04SVTF303. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

After complaining about the a/c on this car for almost a year, my dealership "finally" listened to me and have replaced the condenser, which was "cracked" and was constantly leaking coolant... Anyway, I get my car back this afternoon and they have also performed the transmission/abs etc. update...I will report back after I've had the car for a bit.
Thanks for your patience while the dealer attempted to repair the A/C. Keep me posted, and shoot me a PM if you need further assistance.

...I contacted my dealership, and gave them the skinny on my car's AC with your Code number. Hope that helps them! they can't get me in for a week, but it's not supposed to be AS hot here in Cincy the next few days... My car only blows cool air regardless of setting.
...It's not officially summer yet, so I'm still using the AC off and on, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied with how it's performing, so I may need to take my car in for service for this issue...
Hi DaeHanL & JesseE1981,

I can add another layer of assistance by escalating the A/C issue to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Drop me a line via PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process.

...When the Texas summer hits full force the AC will simply not keep up. I hope with the information I see on this thread I can bring the technicians up to speed if it is something they have not encountered yet.
Hello ChrisRyan,

I'm sure the tech will appreciate the info. Let's also escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info.

...I did use the AC on an 80 mile trip last Sunday and the cabin was very comfortable. The real test will be when the really hot and humid weather kicks in soon .
Hey Fine Focus,

If that test proves the A/C is not cooling off the cabin, shoot me a PM and I'll contact the Customer Service Manager. I'll need the following info to begin the process - VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info.

Take care all!

Noemi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Living in Phoenix, AC is a must. I took it to a dealer with my concern and was told all is well. It's roughly 105 out now. I drove the highway 20 miles home and was still sweating when I pulled into my garage. I find it hard to believe this is the norm for a brand new car. Two words sum up the way I'm feeling about the car...buyers remorse.
I'm in Nevada, please folks, read what I posted on the previous page and what was found and what was done to remedy the AC. I have no problems with my vehicle now.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Noemi, shouldn't I at least let the dealer take a look before we "escalate" the process?!...]
Absolutely DaeHanL! The Customer Service Manager works in conjunction with the local Ford dealer to assure the issue is corrected, and you are satisfied with the outcome. The option to escalate the concern is your choice. [:)]

Have a great weekend!

Noemi

·
Registered
1 Posts
AC issue

I took my car in this week bc the ac settings are off by one. When the arrow points forward it blows on my face and feeet. When it is on the face and feet setting it blows through the defrost and feet and so on. every setting is wrong. The dealer said thats just how it is and theres nothing they can do. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
50 Posts
We had a problem with ours, but it turns out it was overcharged and now it works great. Had the DCT reprogrammed and the wiper recall fixed all on the same day as well and it took less than half a day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update from my original post. Per the dealership the AC was indeed running out of range and giving a code of 4564. The range hi 205 and low 45 w duct temp of 56. Found that the system was overcharged and reserviced into approved operating spec. hi 180 low 34 duct temp 44.

This may be a factory issue where the over pressurized over serviced reservoire is causing poor initial performance. It would also stand to reason why the more its used, the more it seems to work correctly. Thanks Gaudin Ford, you guys did a good job.
I told the service manager about your issue when I took mine in. Guy said he never even heard of the issue and more than likely didn't bother looking into it. I [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] hate having to deal with dealerships

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I took my car in this week bc the ac settings are off by one...
Hey megancp2,

Maybe the car is confused, maybe not. [:D] Let's have the issue reviewed by the Customer Service Manager for your area. Shoot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process.

We had a problem with ours, but it turns out it was overcharged and now it works great. Had the DCT reprogrammed and the wiper recall fixed all on the same day as well and it took less than half a day.
Awesome to know, MC1992! I'm sure you'll enjoy the summer even more. [:)]

Thanks, FCS, I plan to take it in for the first oil change and will bring it up to them then.
jpolk84,

Thanks for letting me know. I'm available if you need assistance.

I told the service manager about your issue when I took mine in. Guy said he never even heard of the issue and more than likely didn't bother looking into it...
Hey 04SVTF303,

The offer is still available to escalate the AC issue to the Customer Service Manager. I'll need the requested info to begin the process.

Take care!

Noemi

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey 04SVTF303,

The offer is still available to escalate the AC issue to the Customer Service Manager. I'll need the requested info to begin the process.

Take care!

Noemi
I believe I already have sent you the needed info. I've had someone contact me who was of absolutely no assistance. Being told to take it to the dealer isn't exactly helping.

101 - 120 of 338 Posts