Focus Fanatics Forum banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
AC on the Focus is weak---anybody having issues also...... Anyone here from Florida or a warm state..have any advise? thankyou
Hey I am having these issues as described in this thread with AC blowing hot sometimes and freezing cold others. It also periodically blows warm humid air out vents and temp rises 10 -15 degrees or so. Has anyone found a solution to this? My cars been in the shop multiple times and have had some sensors replaced and a new condenser and still same issues..

I live in FL so I know how you feel!

2013 Focus ST3

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 Ford Focus SEL which has approximately 100,000 miles just had my AC stop blowing cold air today. I noticed it at lunchtime. Yesterday it was ice cold, so I'm hoping it's just a sensor or fuse, but after reading this thread in the forum I'm getting very concerned. I live in SC and it has been very hot this summer and my family depends on this as primary transportation. This is on top of all the other problems this car has. At present I'm on week 3 of 8 waiting for parts to come in for the 2 customer satisfaction fixes for the transmission. Also my sync/audio/radio has completely stopped working. I've about had all I can take with this car. It's only 3 years old, I'm still paying for the car, it shouldn't be needing these types of repairs. I know it's out of warranty but from all of the complaints about these problems Ford needs to issue a customer satisfaction program and not put this on the backs of those that have helped them reap record profits.

Update: Yeah!!! I fixed it myself, checked fuses in the engine compartment, the compressor clutch 15 amp fuse had blown. Popped a new one in and I have cold air again. Now I just have to wonder what caused the fuse to blow. Hopefully I don't have the problem again and I won't have to worry about it. I just drove it for an hour and it did fine so fingers crossed it holds up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ac is gone

So my 2012 Ford Fiesta SES is going to cost me 1700 to fix the compressor is blown up and maybe even I will see Monday when they will be replacing the compressor

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with 21,000 miles on it and have had it since March. I never really paid attention, but I noticed my AC is very weak when it blows air out of the vents. I have to set the AC to 3 or 4 to get actually feel the AC blowing on my face. Both of my dad's cars, I can set the AC to like 1 and my face is frozen after a couple of minutes, even if it's 90+ degrees outside, it was that way in his 2011 Kia Soul and it's the same way in his 2015 Kia Forte Koup.

Has anyone else had this issue with the AC blower not being very good?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with 21,000 miles on it and have had it since March. I never really paid attention, but I noticed my AC is very weak when it blows air out of the vents. I have to set the AC to 3 or 4 to get actually feel the AC blowing on my face. Both of my dad's cars, I can set the AC to like 1 and my face is frozen after a couple of minutes, even if it's 90+ degrees outside, it was that way in his 2011 Kia Soul and it's the same way in his 2015 Kia Forte Koup.

Has anyone else had this issue with the AC blower not being very good?
Not sure. I have the dual climate control set on 70 here in Texas and it blows it's ass off. Have to turn down the fan sometimes to 2-3. 1 on the focus you not gonna feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fixed -- ac issues -- fixed

Just want everyone to know to check their fuse box in their engine compartment before taking it in. My AC stopped working and it was just a blown fuse (AC clutch relay fuse). A $5 fix. Don't take it to the shop and get ripped off. Check this first! To check your fuse follow the steps below.

1. DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY. When messing with fuses in your engine compartment you should always disconnect your battery first.

2. Using your Car Manual fuse box guide locate the fuse associated with the AC clutch relay.

3. Remove the fuse and look to see if the fuse is blown.

4. If fuse is blown replace with an EXACT type fuse replacement. ***If wrong fuse is put in it's place it could cause major damage to vehicle.

5. Reconnect your battery and turn on the AC. Drive around for a bit to see if it starts getting cold again. Took my car approximately 3 minutes.

If this doesn't work you can always get a recharge kit and recharge the compressor. Pretty simple to do and the kit will come with the instructions. You can also purchase a kit that comes with R134A that has dye in it and a IR light to check for leaks. If you attempt to do this do it in a dimly lit location so your IR light can pick up any leaks easier.

Hope this helps!

B

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our's had gone out completely too at about 100k mi, will check the fuse but I doubt I'm that lucky. Assuming the compressor is toast, anybody got a ballpark estimate from the dealer so I don't have total sticker shock when I go in to have it looked at? I can't find any information for recalls for early 2012 model year AC issues, does anybody know of one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone! We just bought a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium Sedan with 88,000kms from the Ford Dealership and it has warranty on it until Nov. 2017. We got the Pearl White with the 5 spoke 18's and just got the Navigation installed and we love it! I think its a pretty spiffy little car but it does have a little problem.

When parked or at a stop light my cars A/C is set to max but it is only blowing in fan mode and not condensing to produce cold air but when I drive, it produces cold air. Why is this? Is it something I can get fixed? Maybe a TSB?

Glenn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the Forum, but trying here after finding this on google. I have struggled with my A/C...once it failed completely, all components needing to be replaced under my extended warranty...it was underperforming somewhat then, and caused a fire!

Now, the new A/C is a couple summers in. Ours summers are mild here, so I've put up with a bit of inconsistency. ANYWAY: My point. The condenser failed. Replaced, recharged, leak checked and now just seems to cool when it wants to. Highway driving means the air gets nearly HOT. I've been back to the shop that did my condenser repair as their work was warrantied and covered by my extended warranty... NOW - after seeing all of this, I'm confident that the dealership needs to pull things apart and figure this out before I'm outside of my extended service contract. Can you guys help me here? I have an appointment coming up at my local dealership, but I need them to know this "intermittent" issue is real!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My ac stopped working after my first year of ownership of my 14 focus at only under 10,000 miles. The ac was mediocre at best when it was working properly...

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
About a year after I owned my 2014 Focus SE I started having similar AC issues that others have experienced on this AC thread. If I'm already driving the car and turn on the AC no cold air will blow out, it's just kind of humid air. In order to get it to blow cold air I have to pull over, turn off the car, and restart it. Then cold air blows out. Also, if I start the car and turn on the AC and get cold air, then turn off the AC while driving, then turn the AC back on it only blows humid air. I used to be able to get it to start blowing cold air again while I was still driving if I messed around with the heat and AC switches for a minute changing it from AC to heat back to AC, but that doesn't work anymore. So currently I have two options, 1. I have to turn on the AC when I first start the car, and leave it running, or 2. if I forget to turn on the AC when I first start the car, then I have to turn off the car at a traffic light or pull over and turn the car off, then turn on the AC and start the car.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ford knows there is an issue with early Focus's.

TSB 14-0073 AIR CONDITIONING (A/C) COMPRESSOR NOISE HEARD INSIDE THE VEHICLE CABIN - Maintenance, TSB's & Recalls - Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum

The C-Max and Focus share a lot of the same parts. Mine has been making weird noises as of late too but still blows ice cold.
Isn't the C-Max closer to the Fusion hybrid than the Focus? If so, that C-Max compressor is electric - not belt driven. However, that doesn't mean the internals aren't the same.

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
Isn't the C-Max closer to the Fusion hybrid than the Focus? If so, that C-Max compressor is electric - not belt driven. However, that doesn't mean the internals aren't the same.
Body/Chassis wise no, the C-Max is closer to the Focus than the Fusion, however power train wise the 2.0L Atkinson cycle PFI gasoline engine and electric motor set up are more closely aligned with the Fusion hybrid that shares a very similar power train set up.

From an A/C stand point I would suspect that however it is an electrically driven compressor on the C-Max hybrid because of the reduced energy usage.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Body/Chassis wise no, the C-Max is closer to the Focus than the Fusion, however power train wise the 2.0L Atkinson cycle PFI gasoline engine and electric motor set up are more closely aligned with the Fusion hybrid that shares a very similar power train set up.

From an A/C stand point I would suspect that however it is an electrically driven compressor on the C-Max hybrid because of the reduced energy usage.
I believe the reason for electric driven compressor is that the engine shuts off when in EV mode. Engine shuts off (not idles, but off), compressor would cease turning.

Kind of neat on my Fusion hybrid to remotely start the vehicle and have it start cooling the cabin all off the high voltage battery.

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
I believe the reason for electric driven compressor is that the engine shuts off when in EV mode. Engine shuts off (not idles, but off), compressor would cease turning.

Kind of neat on my Fusion hybrid to remotely start the vehicle and have it start cooling the cabin all off the high voltage battery.
That is one possible reason along with the electric compressor being more efficient/ drawing less load off the engine as long as it's load can be accommodated by the alternator and or high voltage battery system vs drawing a load directly off the engine. It is more critical on the PHEV than the HEV that it be decoupled from the engine due to the fact that the PHEV can be driven without the gasoline engine for extended distances (20+ miles instead of less than 2 miles of EV only operation)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 Focus and I have the same issues. However, mine takes forever to get the AC to blow cold. I have to be driving continuous with no stopping for about 10 miles before it starts blowing super cold. Granted I do live in El Paso TX and temperatures have reached 100+. But if im making a short run or am in stop and go traffic its miserable.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You have a black car buddy in a hot area. I have a 2010 black Ford Focus the air is worthless when it's 90 degrees with the sun beating on it. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to cool off all that heat and deal with the sun load.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

321 - 338 of 338 Posts