Focus Fanatics Forum banner

261 - 280 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
help me out here guys. I picked my car up, and according to the tech, my internal duct temp was sometimes fifty degrees below ambient temp. (I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT) Let's say that really is the case, why is my cabin never cool? There is always a tiny bit of air blowing to my feet. (I know someone stated that it's normal, but there's also a small amount of air that blows down by my controls...weird.) I had a thermometer in my car the other day, it was 90 degrees F, and my cabin never got below 80... how is that possible if the air in my vents is apparently arctic cold? i feel like i'm taking crazy pills...

to me the obvious answer is, it's not that cold and this dealership is full of SHEIT.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Well, the floor air and air at the controls is normal. You can minimize the air at the controls by aiming the vents higher (up where you really don't want them... sigh...)

Mine seems to blow pretty cool air, but is only just sufficient at cooling the cabin. I attribute most of the problem to the unbelievable amount of heat that the dash absorbes in the sun and radiates into the cabin...

·
Registered
320 Posts
So from what I've gathered, these are our big questions:

1) Does the hot, black dashboard affect any of the internal vents or something? I've been in another black dashboard car and it doesn't seem so severe of an issue.
2) How much does the uninsulated airbox in the engine compartment affect our AC temps?
3) How much does the heater core constantly being hot affect the temps?
4) Is our AC compressor smaller than in other cars?
5) Has anyone confirmed whether the AC unit comes underfilled with refrigerant?

My AC currently works fine. It's cold, but not nearly as icey as other cars I've been in.

Playing around with my A/C this summer, I found that the "Max A/C" mode (which automatically sends the air to the floor) was useless at cooling down the car. However, when I switched to the panel vents instead (and manually turned on recirc for an extra boost), the car cooled down no problem. [dunno]

(This is in an SE with manual HVAC controls.)
I don't think it automatically sends it to the floor, it just turns on the recirculation (and AC) which makes a lot of noise at the floor (because that's where it collects).

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just had my 2012 SE for AC getting warm in traffic----it was only 75* out... this is 2nd time in for this issue---- rep agreed its not very cold but within FORD specs on hotline!? Its warm inside car--how can hotline guy say its ok? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I checked my car (it has been a few months since I needed heavy A/C) and it looks like I got things mixed up. Sure enough, Max A/C has no impact on the vent direction. I guess what I found was that full panel vent was required for maximum cooling, and that directing it to the floor (in an attempt to get air into the back seat) was very ineffective. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Im looking for direction with this poor AC quality--Ford says normal while warm air at 50* tops on full recirculate comes out vents--any ideas or suggestions.. thanks MJB

·
Registered
65 Posts
had the problem,went dealer twice,make them change the ac compressor,problem solved,the key is stand your ground.i made them ride with me.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I will do that... shouldn't have to...been there twice so far--- Ill go third time within a week... thanks MJB
Let me know what you hear from your dealership, MJB. I'll be here if you need any assistance; just send a PM my way.

Crystal

·
Registered
360 Posts
my a/c still doesn't perform well, and I don't see a point in taking it to another dealership until next year b/c the temp around here won't be above 76 until next year. yay! I don't know why biggc, what was your issue? just poor performance/not cold enough air? now it's very cold?

·
Registered
484 Posts
It blows only decent on full which isn't even right--- best temp is 50* out vent on full at 75* outside---when its warmer it bad!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

My A/c is going pretty much the same thing. Only works like 50% of the time and when it does, it isnt as cold as it should. I took it in last month, service advisor at first couldnt "duplicate", then had mechanice test drive and determined a pressure switch was faulty and replaced. Went to pick it back up the next day and still same issue. I rented a car for 2 days (Chevy) while it was being worked on the A/c was ice cold. Wife's Honda A/c is ice cold. 2010 Focus I had was ice cold.

Can't see how they cant issue a TSB or recall when it is a recorring problem. Like poster above, I will take in once summer starts to roll around next year, as do not have the time to keep dropping off and getting rental over and over again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ac

Agree--offered me rental also...but rental is hassle--not really free--time consuming going back & forth--again agree... maybe a fix will come up over the winter??? MJB[ninja]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well good news about my AC!! With the temperatures hovering around 50-60 degrees here in the southwest its been performing admirably. Of course its been off and hasnt been used, but hey this is probably the best its going to get. Coming up on 30k miles now.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Here's my bad experience with the AC:
2013 Focus with Manual AC, 8000KM
The AC button is always illuminated, no matter how hard I push it down, it's always illuminated. Same issue happen with the Air Recirculation button. Every time I move the knob to the number one (2,3,4), the AC and the A Recirculation button are illuminated, that means I can never get some fresh air into the cabin or just use some vent air (not AC cold air) what can I do?
TY for your inputs

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's my bad experience with the AC:
2013 Focus with Manual AC, 8000KM
The AC button is always illuminated, no matter how hard I push it down, it's always illuminated. Same issue happen with the Air Recirculation button. Every time I move the knob to the number one (2,3,4), the AC and the A Recirculation button are illuminated, that means I can never get some fresh air into the cabin or just use some vent air (not AC cold air) what can I do?
TY for your inputs
If you have the mode knob turned all the way to the left, you have it on max A/C. Turn the knob one or 2 notches to the right and then you can turn the A/C and recirculation button off. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Warm A/C

I too have problems in stop and go traffic with the a/c not blowing cold air. I bought this car used a month ago and it is wonderful shape otherwise. Seems practically brand new.

So, what's the problem? Anybody?

-J.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sounds to me like the system is geared for not dragging on the engine, so in the name of economy it sucks.
My a/c has always been awful too, I find that using sunshades on the windshield while parked helps a lot. It may not make the a/c stronger but it does reduce all the radiant heat coming off the dashboard.

261 - 280 of 338 Posts