Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 338 Posts

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
It was in the high 80s to lower 90s today on the way home, and since getting the a/c checked out and adjusted to the proper charge level it seems to work even better at hotter temperatures than it did at lower ones. It got cold enough to feel almost ice cold on my arms and hands while driving. It was nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I won't even pretend to understand this anymore.

Took the car in again (primarily for the transmission) and had them take a look at the AC again. They come back and say the coolant is down to 40%. Somehow they don't find a leak.

They filled it back up, and on the way home, it blew warmer than I ever remember it blowing. It's gotten to the point where I feel awkward complaining about this. I feel like a madman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem with our Focus and thanks to Crystal at Ford Customer Service here on the forum and my local dealer we were able to get the issue resolved. Like stated in the original post our AC would cut out in stop and go traffic and also when going down hill. Our dealer replaced the compressor and we now have ice cold air all the time. Thanks for your help Crystal.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just purchased a used 2012 focus se with 18k miles and the wife tells me the ac is not working very well...
My entire AC quit. A week ago. Was told it was the control module in the dash...
...Took the car in again (primarily for the transmission) and had them take a look at the AC again. They come back and say the coolant is down to 40%. Somehow they don't find a leak.

They filled it back up, and on the way home, it blew warmer than I ever remember it blowing...
Hi a.wilder, Whodatxevg, and potam.

Sorry for the delayed response. Did you three get your concerns taken care of since you posted on this thread? If not PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info and I'll take a look.

I had this same problem with our Focus and thanks to Crystal at Ford Customer Service here on the forum and my local dealer we were able to get the issue resolved...Thanks for your help Crystal.
Thanks so much, Howie6267. I'll be sure to pass this along to Crystal!

Ashley

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't "feel like a madman" as you are not alone. Ford Service will tell you they can't find anything, but the a/c won't work. Happened to me and others on these forums. Same deal with the transmission. I would just keep complaining and keep a journal of what you are doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 AC Problems

I have my Focus for just over a year. I have had it to Two dealers about the AC not cooling and have received the same response ever time found no problem AC functioning as designed.

If this is the case why do I have to drive for 3 to 4 miles before cold air come out and that is running it on max AC and the blower on 4 to get enough air to be comfortable. If the temperature is above 80 degrees I can forget using the car because the it will never cool down. I take my other car and by the time I'm the end of the block the air car is comfortable and the AC can be turn to low fan for the reminder of any trip.

I have had the car is several times on the hottest days to have it checked with the same results. Yes it's blowing cold air out of the vent after several minutes of extremely hot air blowing yet it never cools the car off. If your in the back seat forget getting comfortable because the car will never cool back there. I can do the same test they do by sticking a thermometer in the vent and saying the air coming out is cold, it is but the car never cools off, for get taking a long trip on a hot day. Is there any help for this, I've been told Ford is aware of the problem so why don't they fix it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am the one who originally posted the problem with my 2012. 3 trips to the dealer no results..
Finally someone from ford who monitors this site got involved, turned me on to Ford Lincoln customer service and sent me to a different dealer.....Kept car for 2 days, and ended up changing out some parts...Because it was warranty, i did not get a list of what they did, but in talking to the tech, before the repair, he told me that it looked like the condenser and two valves that go into the firewall were defective...Bottom line is that since the repair..almost a year, i have no problems.... Look through the postings and see if you spot a response from a ford monitor, and send them a private email and see if they can help...Because of this, yes Ford knows there are cars out there with intermittent problems that are had to diagosis.....and should fix. Ultimate (not the best) soulution is to see if your state has a lemon law// In california,a problem that has been reported, and 2-3 services attempted qualify...but i think the good people who monitor this site might help. If you send me a private email, I can give you my vin number... A couple of others have asked for it, as it seems that with the vin, the dealership can look and see what was done to my car...

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have my Focus for just over a year. I have had it to Two dealers about the AC not cooling and have received the same response ever time found no problem AC functioning as designed.

If this is the case why do I have to drive for 3 to 4 miles before cold air come out and that is running it on max AC and the blower on 4 to get enough air to be comfortable. If the temperature is above 80 degrees I can forget using the car because the it will never cool down.
I've had the same problem with my car since day 1. The air never gets cold enough to cool the cabin to a comfortable temperature. I have to have it set to max ac+ with the highest blower setting and after 20 minutes of driving the car gets less hot. If it's over 80ºF out, forget about it [mecry]

I've been to the dealership several times about. Get sent home and treated like i'm being a pain, and my a/c is exactly as it was when I came in.

I just wanted to document that I have the same symptoms as you do, you are not alone, and I have manual controls. I believe that since my air is never cool, regardless of a/c or not (when outside temps are low even), that it would appear hot air is making its way into the vent when it's not supposed to be.

I PM'd Customer Service on here and hope they can help! I'll report back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been talking to several folks like us....the last person stated that after a couple of trips to the dealer, the dealer finally replaced the control head...the controls inside the cabin of the car....seems that the vents were not opening/closing like they should. You have to remember that the air conditioner only has one temperature...its always cold.. The controls in the cabin only add or take away heat... there is no variable setting on the air conditioner itself.
I had a problem that was a little different, where I would have cold air, then it would just stop, put out a foul smell, then after a while kick in again.. After 2 dealers and 4 visits with the help of ford customer service (from this site) they replaced the condensor, and some valves.... if it helps here is my vin number...Im told the dealer can access my work order My vin number is Vin number 1FAHP3K23CL258228, and the Dealer was Frontier Ford in Santa Clara California.
I would appreciate if you get a resolution and what was done, so i can pass along to other folks that contact me off my original post. My personal email is [email protected]

·
Registered
320 Posts
My new 2014 AC is pretty weak. Compared to other cars I've driven, it takes significantly longer to cool down my car, it just feels like the AC is "underpowered".

The car with manual controls (don't know about auto) have no heater control valve, so hot water is always pumping thru the heater core. Temp is controled by doors (flaps) directing air flow.
My car was as high as 19 degrees above ambient temp with heat off, I installed a coolent bypass valve and switch. no residual heat in summer and plenty heat in winter. Any BTU's from the heater core will take away from the A/C cooling.
Riparke,

Can you clarify on this a bit? I don't know AC/heating systems in cars well enough to understand this....but are you basically saying that because of the system design, heat is always getting pumped into the cabin even when the AC is on, leading to efficiency problems?

·
Registered
360 Posts
just got a call from my dealer to pick my car up. They've had my car since Tuesday morning. I'll write back with the details later, but apparently my problem was some sort of temperature gauge. My car was reading the wrong external temp or something...

Cross your fingers for me that everything's functional!

btw, I've had a '12 Toyota Corolla all week, and let me tell you I LOVE MY FOCUS!

although the corolla's ac is about 5x better than mine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Taking my car out this afternoon to test, but my expectations aren't that high. Drove home with AC on full blast with an external temp of 70 degrees F. Air felt about as cold as when I brought it in. *sigh* tech didn't acknowledge that the air simply wasn't cold enough, rather that it only underperformed at high external temps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
360 Posts
so my a/c is exactly the same as it was before. The tech says the "A/C didn't throw up any codes." does that mean something's not broken? Couldn't the part simply be underperforming or defective?

What can I do at this point? I contacted the rep and reported my a/c was not improved, can/should I request another dealership? NTM this dealership talks and treats me like a pain in the bum.

I just want to be able to take my daughter somewherem and when we arrive she isn't soaked in sweat from sitting in the backseat... lol poor kid

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've had the same problem with my car since day 1. The air never gets cold enough to cool the cabin to a comfortable temperature. I have to have it set to max ac+ with the highest blower setting and after 20 minutes of driving the car gets less hot.
My new 2014 AC is pretty weak. Compared to other cars I've driven, it takes significantly longer to cool down my car, it just feels like the AC is "underpowered".
Playing around with my A/C this summer, I found that the "Max A/C" mode (which automatically sends the air to the floor) was useless at cooling down the car. However, when I switched to the panel vents instead (and manually turned on recirc for an extra boost), the car cooled down no problem. [dunno]

(This is in an SE with manual HVAC controls.)

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Max A/C mode on a manual HVAC system should not be automatically switching output to the floor.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...I contacted the rep and reported my a/c was not improved, can/should I request another dealership?...
Hi DaeHanL,

You are welcome to visit a different dealership to get a second opinion; just let your CSM know so they can update your information. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me via PM.

Crystal

·
Registered
360 Posts
Playing around with my A/C this summer, I found that the "Max A/C" mode (which automatically sends the air to the floor) was useless at cooling down the car. However, when I switched to the panel vents instead (and manually turned on recirc for an extra boost), the car cooled down no problem. [dunno]

(This is in an SE with manual HVAC controls.)
weird. I think my car always sort of blows air to the floor. I can always feel it regardless of what setting I have selected.

I have a Chevy Aero right now, (loaner) and let me tell you it's a nice little car and the a/c works very well. at this point any air that cools the cabin will do! makes me even more stoked about my current situation. [gunfire]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
weird. I think my car always sort of blows air to the floor. I can always feel it regardless of what setting I have selected.
From the 2012 5th edition owner's manual:
• A small amount of air may be felt from the floor vent regardless of the
air distribution setting that is selected
Although, I dislike that in the winter when I have floor vent only selected that it still comes out of the defrost vents. I like my feet warm and this happening makes the air I'm breathing warm... the featherability of the vent/floor/defrost controls is one thing nice the manual controls have over the auto controls, but the different fan settings are better for us. [wiggle]

241 - 260 of 338 Posts