Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Freon is out as of this week on my 2012 Focus

I was living in the Southwest desert when I bought the car in July of 2011 and I noticed that in the very hot summers here it was not cooling well.
Moved to the Southeast last summer and the A/C ran fine. My guess is the high humidity let it run well and cool.
Now I am back in the dry Southwest with temperatures only in the 50s to 70s now and the A/C is not cooling at all.
It has to be what one Focus poster said here that he knew that during assembly Ford, to save on the cost of Freon, would only use half the amount needed to get the cars out to the sales floor of all the Ford dealers.
Well my car is still under warranty and I will be taking it to them within the next few days to have them fix the A/C now that it is not cooling at all. And it is not even Spring here yet. I am not waiting for Summer to get this fixed.[shameful][thumbd]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Same problem here,cold 1 min.hot the next,followed by bad smell.Love the car so far but a/c needs a fix
...Well my car is still under warranty and I will be taking it to them within the next few days to have them fix the A/C now that it is not cooling at all...
Hey biggc and Armando2012,

Making an appointment at your dealership is a great first step. Additionally, I want to help by getting your regional customer service managers involved. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get the ball rolling!

Crystal

·
Registered
371 Posts
heat, A/C function not a strong point with the car...
I have had couple dealerships check mine (manual heat-air controls) because it feels one dash side is warmer that the other and overall just warm (dial in the middle= pretty warm and definitely warmer on right center dash vs left...) dealers response "normal'! "we checked other ones too they do the same..!
- have a loaner for the day (SEL 12 focus) with auto climate, set it at 70 or 72 and both center dash vents have same temp feel...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The car with manual controls (don't know about auto) have no heater control valve, so hot water is always pumping thru the heater core. Temp is controled by doors (flaps) directing air flow.
My car was as high as 19 degrees above ambient temp with heat off, I installed a coolent bypass valve and switch. no residual heat in summer and plenty heat in winter. Any BTU's from the heater core will take away from the A/C cooling.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The car with manual controls (don't know about auto) have no heater control valve, so hot water is always pumping thru the heater core. Temp is controled by doors (flaps) directing air flow.
My car was as high as 19 degrees above ambient temp with heat off, I installed a coolent bypass valve and switch. no residual heat in summer and plenty heat in winter. Any BTU's from the heater core will take away from the A/C cooling.
Interested! Dealer work? Or a DIY? Some details if you can - thx

·
Registered
658 Posts
A common solution when bypassing failed ACC servos on mid-seventies/early-eighties Mercedes models. Never thought I'd hear of that approach again. Then again, I have no A/C issues even in Central Florida heat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2005 Ford Excursion is set up just this way. An electric valve, that sometimes sticks, is used to shunt the hot coolant when the A/C is required.

Interested! Dealer work? Or a DIY? Some details if you can - thx
I, too, would be interested in improving the efficiency of the Focus A/C; even if I only need it two months a year.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
heat, A/C function not a strong point with the car...
I have had couple dealerships check mine (manual heat-air controls) because it feels one dash side is warmer that the other and overall just warm (dial in the middle= pretty warm and definitely warmer on right center dash vs left...) dealers response "normal'! "we checked other ones too they do the same..!
- have a loaner for the day (SEL 12 focus) with auto climate, set it at 70 or 72 and both center dash vents have same temp feel...
Hi Uptcv1,

I want to extend the same offer to assist that I did to the other folks on this thread. Send me your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number) and I'll get your case into the hands of your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

·
Registered
371 Posts
Crustal, went down that path already... Got one call back from regional csm back then.. That was it... - just a quick suggestion though: I really think it would be wise if you (your dept) kept a log by user/issue and double checked to see prior same attemts... thx

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Crustal, went down that path already... Got one call back from regional csm back then.. That was it... - just a quick suggestion though: I really think it would be wise if you (your dept) kept a log by user/issue and double checked to see prior same attemts... thx
Thanks for the feedback, Uptcv1. I actually couldn't find you in my prior PMs; that's why I extended the offer. I can arrange for a follow-up call from your CSM, though. Just let me know if you'd like to proceed. [wave]

Thanks!

Crystal

·
Registered
104 Posts
http://www.thermotion.com/topic/18-electronic-coolant-control-valve.aspx
part # 354-69494R (R for load resistor), 354-65002 Harness (has plug)
DpDt center off switch (mounted in glove box back upper left side)

Power from add a fuse 5amp.
Hold switch for 15 seconds to fully operate valve, open for winter, bypass for summer. Center off switch because there is no need to power valve all the time, control heat with Focus control.

·
Registered
119 Posts
http://www.thermotion.com/topic/18-electronic-coolant-control-valve.aspx
part # 354-69494R (R for load resistor), 354-65002 Harness (has plug)
DpDt center off switch (mounted in glove box back upper left side)

Power from add a fuse 5amp.
Hold switch for 15 seconds to fully operate valve, open for winter, bypass for summer. Center off switch because there is no need to power valve all the time, control heat with Focus control.
Riparke,

That is brilliant !

Thank you for the details. Reps for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok...so has anyone had the issue of the a/c // heater not working at all and hearing a thump, thump, thump under the console? I have had both motors that control the air routes replaced. Was driving again with the heat on and it stopped again then started thumping. It is back in the shop (a cumilative of over 30 days in the shop). I love my zippy car but there have been a lot of issues before 10k miles - not just the ac and heater.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
ok...so has anyone had the issue of the a/c // heater not working at all and hearing a thump, thump, thump under the console? I have had both motors that control the air routes replaced. Was driving again with the heat on and it stopped again then started thumping. It is back in the shop (a cumilative of over 30 days in the shop). I love my zippy car but there have been a lot of issues before 10k miles - not just the ac and heater.
Hi 2012FORDFOCUSGIRLGA,

I want to step in here and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll look into some options to help.

Crystal

·
Registered
8 Posts
2013 Focus SE

So this is my first post and let me say I picked up our new 2013 SE with 49 miles and we never got it off the the lot and the AC compresssor went out [mad] I truely hope this is not a sign of things to come with this car as I really like it. Im hoping for the best..

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
So this is my first post and let me say I picked up our new 2013 SE with 49 miles and we never got it off the the lot and the AC compresssor went out [mad] I truely hope this is not a sign of things to come with this car as I really like it. Im hoping for the best..
How long was the car sitting on the lot before you picked it up? I only ask because there was a specific special service message that said if the car wasn't driven for over 3 weeks (maybe it was longer) with the a/c compressor switched on before the car was last shut down that it could cause the compressor to fail on restarting the car for the first time since then. Its why generally you'd not want to leave a car sitting for long enough to develop problems while in inventory, let alone in storage when purchased.

You would think the dealer would have at least moved it around the lot and charged the battery in the mean time though.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi Vegasheat,

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can step in. Send me a private message (PM) with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get to work on your case.

Crystal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well have the car back from the dealer today and all is good, this dealership in Henderson NV has been very good to us and and I would give them a A+ for service and customer service...

201 - 220 of 338 Posts