Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my Focus into the dealer for new tires and to have them check on the purge valve/fuel tank recall. While it was there, the said they also performed an ECU flash. I’m not sure why, but my car feels like it woke up after that. It has a lot more engine and intake noise, and there is a noticeable increase in power. I mentioned the noise to my service advisor and he said that was normal. I had performed the snorkel delete and installed a K&N filter years ago and noticed a difference in noise, but now it seems it got even louder. I’m not upset at all. It’s actually pretty awesome to have my car with 210k+ miles on it wake up again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
IIRC the purge valve/fuel tank recall includes a updated to the ECU so that it will identify when the purge valve is going bad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't speak to Toms tune, but I'm also looking forward to this. I have a 2012 as well - 5 speed. Over the years I often thought it wasn't quite tuned very well for the 5 speed (they probably spent most of the time on the automatic). Mainly I thought this due to some every so slight hesitations and often loss of power (which have been discussed on other forums).

I think what happened is they tweaked the PCM (what you referred to as the ECU) software over the years, mostly in 2013, but probably more and more - mostly to rid it of bugs but also to improve the way the engine runs. Our 2012 cars have a rather old revision of the PCM Software. Before most dealers would not do a PCM software upgrade unless you had a problem and the technician could replicate it - even if you paid for it.

Now that there is a safety recall on the purge valve, we get the latest revision of the software for free!!!

Thanks for posting this. I need to make an appointment.

·
Registered
624 Posts
will this mess with toms tune at all?
I don't follow much on tuning closely but I am pretty sure others have reported that the ECU update will change the strategy file making the tuner/tune no good.

But double check on that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well I had my re-flash done a couple weeks ago now (due to the fuel tank/evaporative system recall).

It did change the pitch (noise) a little bit.

I would not say the car woke up, the throttle reponse is only every so slightly noticably different. I would say most people (those not part of this forum?) would not notice any difference.

It did not fix my hesitation / stuttering that happens about once or twice a month. Usually in 5th gear, light throttle and up a hill.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just saw this thread so I thought I would add a bit.
Yes, the updated strategy will mean you need to start over with tuning from Tom.
I just went through it after my recall work on the purge valve was done. I noticed that the new strategy ran better, even stock, than the old one. But once I got a new tune from Tom ($50, plus I had to request SCT to access the new strategy) it is night and day different.
He can comment on the details but my car has never run smoother. Yes there is power as his tune provided before but my 2012, 5 speed hatch always ran a little rough at times. Tom has been able to smooth it out so much its really like a new car. Even with 155K on the clock! He even gave me a 1500 RPM idle tune for when I clean my valves with CRC Intake Valve GDI cleaner. That way I can do it myself.
Worth every penny, plus he has the best customer service! I plan on keeping the car for a little while longer and when I feel the time is right I might pull the trigger on an F150. I will have him tune that too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts