Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so recently I've begun to notice when I'm decelerating and push in the clutch the rpm bounces around between 500 and 700 rpm and is very rough. I can feel the shake in the pedals and in the car however it is only for a couple of seconds then the rpms level out at around 600. At first I chalked it up to bad gas so I switched to 93 octane and still have the issues. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it typical? The car has never died in neutral but there were one or two times when I thought it was going to.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey guys so recently I've begun to notice when I'm decelerating and push in the clutch the rpm bounces around between 500 and 700 rpm and is very rough. I can feel the shake in the pedals and in the car however it is only for a couple of seconds then the rpms level out at around 600. At first I chalked it up to bad gas so I switched to 93 octane and still have the issues. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it typical? The car has never died in neutral but there were one or two times when I thought it was going to.
If you decide to head to your dealer about this, please let me know (along with your mileage.)

Meagan

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the exact same car as you and mine does this as well. There is actually an older thread on this very issue. I believe that one of the main causes was believed to be the fact that the engine has direct injection. I also have the electric focus rear motor mount which amplifies the issue.

I think that at the end of the day it is relatively normal and happens in most cars.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if it's light I don't worry to much about it, but there has been one or two times where I thought it was going to stall on me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah if it's light I don't worry to much about it, but there has been one or two times where I thought it was going to stall on me.
Ditto. I have the ERMM too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Having defrost or AC on will definitely put more strain on the engine. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
On my 2012 SE fivespeed, never had any problem like this. And I do not accept it as 'natural'. The engine idle is messed up. It is not supposed to be stupid. It is designed to be smart.
If it cannot idle properly, it is messed up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Start your car and immediately hold the "OK" button in the left d-pad on your steering wheel to put the IPC in test mode.

Scroll up/down until you see the digital tachometer readout. Drive the car for about 5 minutes to get it warm. Pull back onto a level surface and watch the readout for both the idle in neutral and idle with 1st gear and clutch pushed in. If you have a real-time variation more than +-20 RPM for each of those individually once the car is warm (engine temp ~75c+) I think it would be time to investigate this further.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give it a try. Elizabeth I've heard of alot of 5 speed owners having the same issue.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use shell 93 premium and have the K&N CAI with the snorkel delete and the air stops in the triangle grill pieces removed. I do have the Electric focus RMM so that might be intensifying the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts