Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be some rumors and misinformatio that there is no SCT Tunes or tune ability for the Focus DCT

I have Tuned 100`s of the DCT with the SCT software and with great results and many on here have my DCT Tune

It always amazes me how the internet works where people post BS in off places but never man enough to post this in the Forum where it can properly be addressed

If you have any questions about my DCT Tuning please let me know

Tom

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I found that odd too. I saw a Facebook thread that mentioned no one was currently offering a DCT tune, only an engine tune. I've had your DCT tune for years lol.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
The world is a big place, it'll filter out there eventually. Maybe that facebook post was based in Russia................

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't from Russia LOL

Yes Jburks thats what I was referring to and I find it odd the owner of that FB didnt correct what was said , I thought the BS was behind us

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think the DCT is that bad at all , the Trans it self is well built , in my opinion its the DCT software/programming and the SCT software has the ability to make changes , If the Tuners has the knowledge to know what and where to make the changes
But to say the SCT/SCT Tuner ( me ) cant make TCM (trans) changes and all the changes thats happening to the DCT is from the changes to the PCM ( engine ) is insane and he doesnt have a clue what he is talking about

It always amazes me how this is done behind peoples back in off places where misinformation like this cant get corrected , It should of been corrected by the guy that owns the FB page , maybe it has been by now I dont know

Tom

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
So is the auto that bad? I have a 5 speed and love it but I was curious.
I dont think it's bad. I've had my DCT focus for 4 years now and it's never given me any problems. The tune from Tom definitely made the shifts firmer and it made it so it would stay in gear in sport mode vs shifting on it's own which was nice. If i could do it again, i'd buy the 5spd though. I just think manual transmissions are more fun to drive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah, I do love the 5 speed but in traffic when commuting (hence my name) it would be nice to have an auto. Thought about one if I had to replace my car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I found that odd too. I saw a Facebook thread that mentioned no one was currently offering a DCT tune, only an engine tune. I've had your DCT tune for years lol.
RDC (also a good company) only has the engine right now, Tom as we know has dialed in on the transmission which is more important IMO for this car. I feel comfortable with what he has done with the DCT and I can tell the small but dramatic difference it does for the car. Not to mention the boggy feeling you get when taking off, that is neutralized with Toms tune.

Venting:
I also hear a lot of people complaining about the price, I found my SCT X3 from a buddy of mine for $125 and purchased Toms tune. Also, if he doesn't respond right away it because he is busy. He is available most of the time but he is only one man and has other things going on in his life. With the free updates for life he offers I can only imagine the demands he gets on a daily basis and the complaints form people who expect him to turn this thing into a formula 1 race car. Do your research and you get exactly what you pay for.

And if he give you an answer you don't like, suck it up, His main purpose in life isn't to offend you.

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The point to starting this post was misinformation posted on a facebook page owned by another Focus Tuner and posted by one of his cronies , it specifically stated that there was no DCT Tuning available through SCT software and the changes people felt with my tune " toms tune " was all from changes to the engine which is totally BS

Tom

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yeah, I do love the 5 speed but in traffic when commuting (hence my name) it would be nice to have an auto. Thought about one if I had to replace my car.
OT, but one downside I've seen in swapping to a MkIII 5-spd is that the gearing isn't as good for the Hwy as the old 2.3 (higher revs cruising), and I blame that for the lack of a significantly higher Hwy MPG - higher yes, but not the huge jump I was used to.

IIRC the DCT is geared a bit better for the road, explaining the great numbers some report.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Venting:
I also hear a lot of people complaining about the price, I found my SCT X3 from a buddy of mine for $125 and purchased Toms tune. Also, if he doesn't respond right away it because he is busy. He is available most of the time but he is only one man and has other things going on in his life. With the free updates for life he offers I can only imagine the demands he gets on a daily basis and the complaints form people who expect him to turn this thing into a formula 1 race car. Do your research and you get exactly what you pay for.
It's not the price of the tune, it's the price of a damn flasher.

Do I want Tom to make money for his hard work and R&D he has brought to the community? Yes. But hundreds for a device that I'm going to use once or twice to load a tune then get thrown into my glove box? No.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
FWIW, the physical device is likely the smaller part of what you pay for.

The software to make it work with the cars and be usable by Tuners like Tom is the larger portion of the expense.

Note how that needs constant updates, to fit Ford revisions, such as when it only worked with certain versions and owners had to wait until their version was supported.

Cost gets spread between many models, and the Focus is one of the ones supported by others that are more popular.

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's not the price of the tune, it's the price of a damn flasher.

Do I want Tom to make money for his hard work and R&D he has brought to the community? Yes. But hundreds for a device that I'm going to use once or twice to load a tune then get thrown into my glove box? No.
You will find that you will use your Flasher more then a dozen or 2 times , Flashing the Tune , Datalogging , reading and clearing CEL , the XCAL Flasher is a helpful and powerful tool

Whats it worth to not have to go to Advance or AutoZone to have a CEL checked , to buy a cheap code reader that does nothing but read and clear CEL

When your Focus doesnt feel just right or you added a new mod you can do a datalog and email it to me to be checked or updated and I could go on and on

Yes 462.00 is a chunk of change but also keep in mind when you sell your Focus you can go back to stock Tune and use the XCAL Flasher on your next Ford or sell is for 250-300.00 and you get over half your money back

Tom

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes 462.00 is a chunk of change but also keep in mind when you sell your Focus you can go back to stock Tune and use the XCAL Flasher on your next Ford or sell is for 250-300.00 and you get over half your money back

Tom
This is what I was curious about. I have the Injected tune and while its fine for what I am using it for when I move on to another vehicle I would like to carry it over. For example I was thinking either another focus with the DCT or a Fusion. It would be nice to carry the device over.

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats one of the MANY things that was wrong with the RDC/Injected device

You can never go back to the original stock tune
You can not go back to stock then use the flasher on another Ford or sell it to be used
It didnt datalog etc etc

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
when you sell your Focus you can go back to stock Tune and use the XCAL Flasher on your next Ford
Hey Tom, if I have multiple Foci and want them each tuned, can I use the same XCAL Flasher and purchase a second tune from you? or is the XCAL itself locked to a specific vehicle?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts