Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Child door locks are only on the rear doors...on every car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First owner of my 2012 had the front door fly open while he was driving. The fronts were replaced by the dealer. I had the left rear door latch fail and I replaced with a new aftermarket one from eBay, then I got a letter in the mail about a week later about the recall, before I could get it to the dealer, another door latch failed, the rear passenger side, as I was picking my 2 year old up from day care. Luckily I had a ratchet strap in the car. I wrapped it around the door handle, and ran it into the rear seat latch thru the hatch to get me home (about a 1/4 mile). When I took mine in for service, they replaced ALL 4 latches under recall, claiming they all 4 failed their bench test. Quite odd considering the dealer had replaced the front ones already.

Also while I was there, they told me there is another recall for the gas tank expanding, but they could not perform it (and this makes no sense) because they can't get my hood open.. guess what, another FAILED latch. Thanks Ford. The hood latch isn't covered by the way and they told me it would be $500+ for them to replace it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is no "bench test" for door latches. You do not need the hood open to perform the gas tank deformation recall...

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no "bench test" for door latches. You do not need the hood open to perform the gas tank deformation recall...
I figured as much. I don't know how you bench test a door latch, either it latches or it doesn't. I tried to take that one I replaced apart but there was no getting into that thing without drilling rivets or breaking stuff. I'm just relaying what they wrote on my service ticket.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When you do the door latch recall the first time, they hand you a box with all 4 latches in it. It does not matter if a latch was replaced under warranty earlier, they all get replaced. The new service recall for the latches involves getting a date code off of the latches, and then you replace only the latches that fail that inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine done about a week ago, they didn't give me any parts but the ticket says they replaced all 4.. so hopefully its good to go now. I am still keeping a ratchet strap in the car lol. Never had so many things randomly break in a vehicle before owning this one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You do not need the hood open to perform the gas tank deformation recall...
I would think that a visual inspection of the purge valve is part of the recall. Also, if it's found to be defective, part of the recall is to replace it. The tech needs to get under the hood.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
X2, that's where the evap test port for pressure checks is. If course if bottom of fuel tank is caved in then they could just go ahead and change the part. The repair could not be considered complete though without another pressure/vacuum test and that needs to be done as close to engine as possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With an IDS, you can do a EVAP test without raising the hood. If it passes the EVAP test, and the fuel tank is not deformed beyond spec, then all that is done is a reprogram of the PCM.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Right, but if it doesn't pass, they are supposed to replace the valve. They wouldn't be able to complete the recall if they can't get under the hood, so I can see why they say to get the latch fixed first.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Assuming the test fails. If it passes, and 90% of them do, then there is no reason to get under the hood. It was not mentioned that the test failed and that they could not get under the hood. At that point they should have given him the option of spending a few $ to get the hood open and the latch replaced. If he declined that repair, then they could not complete the recall.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
My bad, I think you got me there..............

81 - 92 of 92 Posts