Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just got the letter today, it's the first I heard about it. Several times while starting to drive the dash light came on about the door being "open". I opened it and shut it, all was well. I thought it was me not shutting the door with enough force to fully close it? Now I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Issue is a failure to latch entirely, not related to partial closing of the door.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was informed about the recall by my QuickLane service advisor when I took my TI in for an oil change. Guess I'll set-up an appointment in the near future.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Here is the letter. The great part is that they do not have enough parts even for the cars in warmer states. It basically says don't bring your car in unless you are having problems...or...we can only fix those cars that have doors swinging in the breeze.

I think Ford should have included a roll of twine with the letter to tie the door shut.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does anyone have the technical service guide? AKA what the technicians actually do and what part is replaced specifically? I know I've seen this before with other recalls.

FYI: I have the letter too, bought and currently reside in Minnesota - not just a southern state recall.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Well I have a used Focus... how can they know my address if there are recall letters eventually?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got my letter, but my address had changed. However I did set up a owners account online with Ford, so I had updated my address there. Not sure but there has to be a database, or just DMV records that can be used for things like this.

Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site sign up and you can get the notification online.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We just got our recall notice. Our symptoms included the interior lights refusing to go off and the door ajar light coming on.

My worry is that the Ford monkeys doing the replacement are going to damage the interior door panels. Is the process of getting the panels off and replacing the latch an easy one?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I looked through the service procedure involved in replacing the latch. It is not pretty. Interior door trim, vapor barrier, window regulator, switch mechanism, door latch, a bunch of other stuff too - i seem to recall. Removing these things did not look easy. I know the average technician cannot perform this job flawlessly the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time.

Do your research. Find a good dealer with a good repair history that pays its technicians well (this means they will be above average). This is what I plan to do if I ever have to get this recall done - and I don't plan to unless I have symptoms.

My dealer is 1 for 3 for repairs. I do everything myself now.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I looked through the service procedure involved in replacing the latch. It is not pretty. Interior door trim, vapor barrier, window regulator, switch mechanism, door latch, a bunch of other stuff too - i seem to recall. Removing these things did not look easy. I know the average technician cannot perform this job flawlessly the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time.

Do your research. Find a good dealer with a good repair history that pays its technicians well (this means they will be above average). This is what I plan to do if I ever have to get this recall done - and I don't plan to unless I have symptoms.

My dealer is 1 for 3 for repairs. I do everything myself now.
What do you want to bet the vapor barrier doesn't get properly resealed on most of these? I have done interior door repairs and even on my own car, I had to be so careful. Imagine a tech that has to do dozens of cars on all 4 doors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am the 2nd owner of a 2012 Focus HB purchased December of last year. Got a recall letter too. So, I guess they use DMV records to send it out.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
What do you want to bet the vapor barrier doesn't get properly resealed on most of these? I have done interior door repairs and even on my own car, I had to be so careful. Imagine a tech that has to do dozens of cars on all 4 doors. ...
... as quickly as possible. Not promising.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 2014 focus has the same recall but I haven't had any issues with my door latches. Also I haven't received a letter yet from Ford so I'm not going to worry about it. I've got a few bungee cords under my front seat for the in case of.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Has anyone heard anything on the availability of parts for the door latch recall?

I have a drivers door that only opens at a long continuous pull, not the simple pull/release that it is supposed to do and the dealer continues to put me off due to parts unavailability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Scheduled Appointment next week (including the other service request).

When ask for loaner, they just give me only 2 days free, transmission warranty is 60k.
So I ask for a copy on it including the covered warranty and end up different result.
Loaner car is 5 days(?) free or 'til all is done, and transmission is 100k.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts