Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Only warmer weather states will get free door latch replacement. Other states will be advised to use this advanced secondary restraint mechanism until their latch breaks and only then will Ford replace it.

Ford secondary restraint installation kit for cooler weather states:

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
- 2012-15 Focus built between Aug. 1, 2010 and Jan. 31, 2015 at the Michigan Assembly Plant

Nice my car was made in Feb 2015, I just missed it.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
What is really annoying about this sort of recall, is when the Nothern door lathes break somethime down the road, Ford will no longer make any,
And so even folks (like me)who bought the car new, will get screwed by Ford.

The same sort of thing happened to my 1999 Contour SVT. The dashboard had a recall for warping. But only if it looked like it was warping. Well I kept my car in a garage, so the sun did not warp it 'soon enough'.
A few years later mine started to warp.. Ford.. Sorry that recall has expired.
SO I drove my 99' SVT with a horribly warped top dash plastic for another 7 years.

Thanks Ford, I have a LONG memory. [smackbum]

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
What is really annoying about this sort of recall, is when the Nothern door lathes break somethime down the road, Ford will no longer make any,
And so even folks (like me)who bought the car new, will get screwed by Ford.

The same sort of thing happened to my 1999 Contour SVT. The dashboard had a recall for warping. But only if it looked like it was warping. Well I kept my car in a garage, so the sun did not warp it 'soon enough'.
A few years later mine started to warp.. Ford.. Sorry that recall has expired.
SO I drove my 99' SVT with a horribly warped top dash plastic for another 7 years.

Thanks Ford, I have a LONG memory. [smackbum]
Ford's bean counters are opening themselves up to some major legal trouble. Current estimate for this recall is 270 million to replace latches in warmer states. Let's say for argument it might cost 500 million to replace all of them in every state. By only replacing the latches in southern states, they have saved 230 million dollars. There will surely be accidents/injuries and even possibly fatalities that result from a partial recall but Ford's actuaries still think that total claims will be far less than 230 million.

So what if a northern state customer's door opens while he is driving down the interstate? Ford will gladly replace it. Just rope your door shut until you can make your way to the dealership. Geez.

A responsible car manufacturer would recall ALL of these cars immediately. This is not a cosmetic defect like a warped dash. This is a safety issue. Car manufacturers submit engineering data to DOT to certify side door beam crash integrity. That data assumes the door is properly latched at the time of a side impact collision. If the door is ajar, all bets are off.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
FWIW - I went through all the threads (3) I knew of for this offhand and every broken latch mentioned was from the states included in the recall (Low numbers here, but a repeated issue is significant). One concerned member without a failure from MO who mentioned the car came from FL..

If their reports match this, and the engineering info. on the failure matches as described (high temps from parking in the sun/warmer climates), it would definitely be a priority to concentrate on the affected areas.

This is where I disagree on the "responsible" step to take.

Nationwide recall right now would dramatically slow down replacements in the areas affected. That would be irresponsible since it would increase the likelihood of a more serious incident without a matching reduction of possible issues in the areas where it's apparently unlikely.

Doing them all eventually might be good, don't know the likelihood of a problem outside of the areas where it's already occurred but it would certainly make more feel secure. And many PO'd about the inevitable PITA's and minor damage to door covers that can occur.

Regional recalls aren't new, such as the regional one on Chrysler minivans for a spare tire cable that tended to rust through on older cars in the salt zone.

Airbag recalls started for warm/humid climates, IDK how badly replacements there were slowed once it became national as more cars/items were found involved. I know that the replacement interval expanded to YEARS, and it may have been a BAD thing to widen the areas too fast so the most likely to need them weren't first in line.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welp I live in California and it's free to change lol most likely going to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Nationwide recall right now would dramatically slow down replacements in the areas affected.
There would certainly be nothing wrong with doing the recall in stages but that is not what Ford did. As for dramatically slowing down replacement in less temperate states, as long as parts are available, the work is spread out across the dealer network. I am sure Ford has already begun dealing with the logistical nightmare of ramping production/distribution of an updated latch.

I have no problem with delaying the recall for temperate states. Just don't tell those customers to only call us when it breaks. The ODI indicates these latches are defective and fatigue/duty cycles also play a role in eventual failure in cooler climates. That is irresponsible. Again, this is not a cosmetic defect.

Welp I live in California and it's free to change lol most likely going to do it
I am in the recall area as well but I am not crazy about having a monkey tear my door panels off. I am seriously considering doing the work myself but that will involve me paying for the parts as Ford will not supply them to me.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Sorry but I disagree about this being a huge safety issue. Doors just don't fly open unless they are being pushed on. If the light comes on on the dash, pull over, call Ford care, and delay your life an hour or two as you get a tow and a loaner from Ford. Big whoop.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
You posted a link to a single page ODI Resume - doesn't show ANY info. there regarding failure mechanism. All the details I had were as represented, from the official press release type info. in the link posted before.

as long as parts are available
This is where I see a problem, and it doesn't take much math to see why.

The total numbers for the recall of all models in this specific one adds up to 830k, so you need 3.32 Million latches if all got the work done.

Now how many of the potentially affected 400,000 Focus cars are included in the States for the recall is not given anywhere I've seen, but even if you make a silly assumption that every state got similar numbers on average the 36% of Focus models included would add up to 144,000 cars, or 576,000 latches.

That's still going to be achievable a LOT faster than the 1.6 Million latches needed to do ALL the Focus cars in the possibly affected group.

I AM assuming that latch production is a bottleneck for accomplishment of the recall, with three years production involved and a third of the cars produced during that time (est.) being in the current recall group you'd need a supplier to double annual production to accomplish it in a year. 3 years to do all of them at double production rates.

I am in the recall area as well but I am not crazy about having a monkey tear my door panels off.
This is one reason I think the "take rate" of owners in the more temperate regions would be low, maybe so low as to not more than double the rate of those who actually have an issue.

I didn't count the number of reports here, less than 10 by my rough estimate. Even 1/7th of the reports made to NHTSA making it here as well would be a high rate. So with no reports here from the temperate states, and no info. from the NHTSA report on locations out of the recall zone, I've got no way to guess how many might actually fail outside of that zone.

73 reports making it to the NHTSA is a small number out of 400k production. We know there were more just from out of warranty reports here. Still looks like your chances are good to not run into this if you aren't in the recall area.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Sorry but I disagree about this being a huge safety issue. Doors just don't fly open unless they are being pushed on. If the light comes on on the dash, pull over, call Ford care, and delay your life an hour or two as you get a tow and a loaner from Ford. Big whoop.
This may sound extreme, but it's pretty accurate.

Ever try pushing a door open while moving? One can only "fly open" at parking lot speeds when making a sharp turn.

There's a reason for no "suicide doors" in current production.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Honestly I don't want to beat up on the idea of all getting new latches so hard, it's just a priority issue of taking care of those who need them the most.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Ever try pushing a door open while moving? One can only "fly open" at parking lot speeds when making a sharp turn.
Doors flying open is not the point here. A door ajar compromises the integrity of the side door crash protection that is certified by DOT. That steel beam that resides inside your door has pages of engineering data behind it. Unlatch the door and you compromise the side door protection.

This argument is futile. If you have no problem with this situation, just forget about it and hope you are not one of the unlucky ones. I plan to replace mine.

As for the ODI, please know that Ford did not initiate even a partial recall out of the goodness of their heart. They have their own internal data and their actuaries were apparently alarmed enough to do something.

I AM assuming that latch production is a bottleneck for accomplishment of the recall, with three years production involved and a third of the cars produced during that time (est.) being in the current recall group you'd need a supplier to double annual production to accomplish it in a year
Thus the reason for a recall in stages rather than no recall at all for temperate states.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So what do you guys think? Is it worth to take to get it replaced or no? Simple answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Certainly worthwhile to get it replaced.

You're in the recall zone, free potential increased safety & much less hassle than being one of those with an issue latching a door.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Doors flying open is not the point here. A door ajar compromises the integrity of the side door crash protection that is certified by DOT. That steel beam that resides inside your door has pages of engineering data behind it. Unlatch the door and you compromise the side door protection.
So for the 30 seconds or 1 minute that it takes to pull over and pick up the phone, someone is at incredibly slight risk. Got it. [scratch]

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
So what do you guys think? Is it worth to take to get it replaced or no? Simple answer
Certainly worthwhile to get it replaced.
Ignore a safety recall?

Hmmmmm...

Some are thinking in terms of the latch either working or not working, door stays closed or will not close. (If the door stays closed and latches, then all is well) The problem with that is the latches may continue to operate with impaired integrity and then fail absolutely. Solar loading, heat, etc. can compromise the integrity of the latch (in this case the pawl spring) while still allowing the door latch to keep the door shut.

If latch failure occurs in the midst of a collision or a rollover, I am not sure how you would have time to pull over to the side of the road when the door ajar light comes on. What if the door latch fails at night and the dome lights illuminate? Probably nothing but it might temporarily blind some drivers if they are in fast moving traffic.

Crashes such as offset frontals, near side impacts, and especially rollovers, which pose the greatest risk of ejection for occupants, may lead to complex loading conditions to the vehicle door structure. In recognition of this, the agency tried to develop a new combination test that would subject the door latch components to simultaneously applied loads from different directions as occurs in rollover and other crashes in order to reduce related door ejections. We also wanted to update the existing requirements and test procedures established to ensure the strength of individual latch components for load conditions that are less complex, such as those that occur in many non-rollover collisions.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Door Locks and Door Retention Components and Side Impact Protection

·
Registered
61 Posts
So for the 30 seconds or 1 minute that it takes to pull over and pick up the phone, someone is at incredibly slight risk. Got it. [scratch]
Would be significant risk in a rollover accident.

FWIW, I always use the seat belt to secure items in the rear seat if possible. Keeps the object from sliding around when cornering, and could keep it from flying around in a crash. In the case of a Focus, would keep it from pressing against the door.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts