Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have complained of steering wander at highway speeds, 2012 models had a new steering gear for this concern but what if your Focus is not a 2012 model. Well Ford finally has a simple quick fix for it that the dealers can do, check it out.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Thank you, baby Jesus.

EDIT: And also thank you, makuloco2000.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Was that you that had the rampant alignment / wandering issues a couple years ago? They're still there?
I'm not sure if I'm who you're thinking of, there are a lot of us complainers on here. [wiggle] I had horrible tire wear (which I believe was caused by bad bearings), but the steering wander is only mildly annoying.

On the most streets (including the highway), I have to keep constant pressure on the steering wheel or make corrections like once a second to keep in the lanes no matter the crown of the road.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII TSB, recall & problems section.

Permanent redirect & Stickie status.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Many have complained of steering wander at highway speeds, 2012 models had a new steering gear for this concern but what if your Focus is not a 2012 model. Well Ford finally has a simple quick fix for it that the dealers can do, check it out.
Is there a TSB number for this software update that we can tell the dealer if they're not aware of it?

I've felt the problem you described with the steering in a 2013 rental the dealer gave me as a loaner a while back, but not in my 2014. If the new software is for 2014s too, why wouldn't they all exhibit the same symptoms? Is there some other factor, like some option one car has that another doesn't, that would make some cars with the original software not have the steering problem?

Should I follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule? Or get the update anyway? I guess, as a minimum, I'll wait until other owners of 2014s have gotten theirs updated to see how it goes for them. (I'm wary of changing anything after reading all the reports of some owners liking the changes made to their DCTs with 12B37 and others hating them, and never hearing any explanation for the difference.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had this software update and did it fix your steering issues? Is there a number for this software update? I have had a steering wander issue since I bought my 2014. The dealer where I purchased the car was not helpful. I am about due for an oil change and I would like to get this software update. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Has anyone had this software update and did it fix your steering issues? Is there a number for this software update? I have had a steering wander issue since I bought my 2014. The dealer where I purchased the car was not helpful. I am about due for an oil change and I would like to get this software update. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie
Hi jbostian,

Will you be heading to the same dealer for the oil change, or checking out another for more information on your concern? Once you have a dealer in mind, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi jbostian,

Will you be heading to the same dealer for the oil change, or checking out another for more information on your concern? Once you have a dealer in mind, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan
Thank you for your response, Meagan. I will be taking the car to a different dealer. It will probably be after the first of the year before I can get the service scheduled. I will send you a PM with information when I have a better idea of when I will take the car in. Thanks again.

Jamie

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thank you for your response, Meagan. I will be taking the car to a different dealer. It will probably be after the first of the year before I can get the service scheduled. I will send you a PM with information when I have a better idea of when I will take the car in. Thanks again.

Jamie
Sounds good to me! I'll keep an eye out. :)

Have a great holiday season!

Meagan

·
Registered
7 Posts

Do you have TSB number for this? Or the software version? I just scheduled an appointment to have mine looked at again. I am not very optimistic. The person on the phone said there aren't any software updates for a 2014 Focus. And for him to do a software update it has to be a service action by Ford and all cars would get the update. He already said it is most likely the tires. I am betting they try and sell me a set of new tires.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Do you have TSB number for this? Or the software version? I just scheduled an appointment to have mine looked at again. I am not very optimistic. The person on the phone said there aren't any software updates for a 2014 Focus. And for him to do a software update it has to be a service action by Ford and all cars would get the update. He already said it is most likely the tires. I am betting they try and sell me a set of new tires.
I got your message, and I'll be responding to it shortly. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Meagan,

i'll be PM'ing you about this issue as well. i'll include my details. have the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anybody get this problem fixed from the dealer? I just bought my 2014 ti and am having this issue. Also, do you guys have the 18" wheels?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I just stumbled into this thread!
But i cant see the video - what does it describe doing exactly?
Ditto
If I recall correctly, the video was just the OP on camera explaining what he wrote in the first post and saying that if you have the problem take the car to a dealer and have them load the latest software.

Since he stopped working for Ford several of his videos have disappeared from YouTube, including this one -- which is why it is no longer viewable here.

PS, nice looking car you have there, D*2.3.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, that's about all it consisted of - a notice that any newer ones that had a steering wander from new could get updated software as a fix.

Being a bit out of date now, and with the video gone, I'm taking this out of the "stickie" category. Anyone who needed the update has had it done long ago by now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts