Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the look of the 2012-14 will hold up long term? I really like the front end. I wasn't going to buy this year, but my daughter needed a car so I sold her my 06 ZX3.
And I wasn't impressed with the look of the 2015's. Though I'm starting to like the blacked out front ends, but not the chrome bars.
I always envied the looks of the early focus more than my 2006, I wonder if these early MK3's with the gaping maw up front will age well and be desirable?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well it's all personal taste, but I'd venture to guess that yes the 12-14 range look will be the defining aesthetic for a few years, despite the changes in 2015.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I think someone posted recently or I read somewhere that Ford is indicating the next gen Focus due in a couple years will be only an evolutionary step from what we have now. They won't change it fundamentally like they did for 2012. It is after all the world's best seller and they don't want to rock the boat.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Well it's all personal taste, but I'd venture to guess that yes the 12-14 range look will be the defining aesthetic for a few years, despite the changes in 2015.
The 12-14 styling appealed to me even more because of the change in 2015, not despite it. I prefer the more raw look of the earlier style grille to the more polished look of the later one, though my taste in car styling has always been outside the mainstream (Saab 93 & 96, Porsche 356 coupes and convertibles, 914, etc.). As good as the Fusion looks, I like having something that looks different, not "me, too." That could change, though, when I see the '15 in person. You can only tell so much from photos.

In the back, the '15 also has a horizontal crease between the bottom of the tail lights and the top of the bumper that is common on Honda Civics, several Kias, and other Ford models. Again, I like the way the '12-'14 looks different rather than similar. The slimmer tail lights on the '15 are also less distinctive.

The main reason I'm glad I got a '14 is that the '15 can not be bought with a manual transmission and the SE sport package (cloth seats). As in '13, if you want the fog lights, 4-wheel disc brakes, and trunk spoiler (sedan), you have to order the more expensive appearance package (leather seats) to get it with a manual. Sounds dumb to me.

The main reason I might prefer a '15 would be for the interior changes. The 17" black/machined wheels with the SE sport & appearance packages also look nice, but I could always put a set of them on my '14 later.

If anything were to happen to my '14 that I had to replace it I would miss it, but I could still be happy with a '15. The convenience of a hatch would probably also win me over, despite my preference for the proportions and styling of the sedan. (I underestimated how often I would be putting stuff in and out of my trunk and how much less convenient it was than with the hatches I've owned for so many years. Not having a rear wiper has also been more annoying than I expected.) Function over form.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The 12-14 styling appealed to me even more because of the change in 2015, not despite it. I prefer the more raw look of the earlier style grille to the more polished look of the later one, though my taste in car styling has always been outside the mainstream (Saab 93 & 96, Porsche 356 coupes and convertibles, 914, etc.). As good as the Fusion looks, I like having something that looks different, not "me, too." That could change, though, when I see the '15 in person. You can only tell so much from photos.

In the back, the '15 also has a horizontal crease between the bottom of the tail lights and the top of the bumper that is common on Honda Civics, several Kias, and other Ford models. Again, I like the way the '12-'14 looks different rather than similar. The slimmer tail lights on the '15 are also less distinctive.

The main reason I'm glad I got a '14 is that the '15 can not be bought with a manual transmission and the SE sport package (cloth seats). As in '13, if you want the fog lights, 4-wheel disc brakes, and trunk spoiler (sedan), you have to order the more expensive appearance package (leather seats) to get it with a manual. Sounds dumb to me.

The main reason I might prefer a '15 would be for the interior changes. The 17" black/machined wheels with the SE sport & appearance packages also look nice, but I could always put a set of them on my '14 later.

If anything were to happen to my '14 that I had to replace it I would miss it, but I could still be happy with a '15. The convenience of a hatch would probably also win me over, despite my preference for the proportions and styling of the sedan. (I underestimated how often I would be putting stuff in and out of my trunk and how much less convenient it was than with the hatches I've owned for so many years. Not having a rear wiper has also been more annoying than I expected.) Function over form.
You can get an SE with cloth seats and rear disk brakes, but you get the 1.0 L EcoBoost instead of the 2.0 L GDI engine with 2 more lb-ft of torque but down 25 hp from the 2.0 L and the EcoBoost package so premium cloth seats, a 6 speed manual, not a 5 speed and rear disk brakes + fog lamps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only improvement on the 2015 that would make me consider trading for my Mark III is the thinner center console. I am not too swayed by the new "Aston" grille, and I have yet to be assured of the reliability and longevity of the turbo three banger. the Mark III will look fresh for a few more years, not like the MK II that looks ancient even when barely four years old.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do you think the look of the 2012-14 will hold up long term? I really like the front end. I wasn't going to buy this year, but my daughter needed a car so I sold her my 06 ZX3.
And I wasn't impressed with the look of the 2015's. Though I'm starting to like the blacked out front ends, but not the chrome bars.
I always envied the looks of the early focus more than my 2006, I wonder if these early MK3's with the gaping maw up front will age well and be desirable?
As I'm in the market for a new Focus and Ford is repurchasing my 2013 Ti hatchback I had to make a decision between the 2014 and 2015 models. Like you, I prefer the front end styling of my current car, which is the same on the 2014 model. It has a certain WRC look about it. The performance doesn't match the looks, but I'm okay with it. The car looks good to me, so I'm satisfied with that. In the final analysis, I decided to go with the 2015 Ti hatchback, even thoughI'm not a big fan of the Aston grill on the Focus. I do think it looks awesome on the Fusion though. The Aston grill on the Focus makes it look to sedated for my taste, but I understand Ford opted for that look to conform to their new corporate identity as can be seen from the Fusion and also the new 2015 Mustang. That if you look carefully, the trapezoid shaped grill look is definitely there. Granted the chrome bars are not on every model, but the overall shape is still part of the design language Ford is using. So why did I go with a 2015 Ti you ask? Simple! I can change the grill. I like the rest of the car as a whole. Overall, I think I like the 2015 has a nice look, granted I prefer the black honeycomb grill better. So when my 2015 rolls off the track, I'll drive it for awhile with the chrome grill and if I still don't like it, I'll buy an aftermarket grill or buy a Ford honeycomb grill from an SE model. In the meantime, I'll get to enjoy all the new goodies that come on the 2015 that are not offered on the 2014. I ordered my car loaded with everything, so there should be plenty there to keep me entertained...so to speak. e.g....steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, BLIS, heated steering wheel, Crosstraffic, Lane Keeping Aid/Assist. There's definitely more technology in the car and I like the interior redesign a lot more. I hated the cup holders and the placement on the 12V power outlet. The layout is much better in the 2015. When I look back, I don't think I'm going to have any regrets going with the 2015 versus a 2014.

Here's a link to a Youtube video which shows why the Ford engineering team made the changes they did for 2015. http://youtu.be/5_NVpbIwthI

·
Registered
154 Posts
The wife and I were just discussing how the '15 looks kinda goofy. The interior and a 6-speed are nice but the front just doesn't look right to me on this and the fiesta. Looks fine on the bigger Fusion but not on our cars... just my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The wife and I were just discussing how the '15 looks kinda goofy. The interior and a 6-speed are nice but the front just doesn't look right to me on this and the fiesta. Looks fine on the bigger Fusion but not on our cars... just my opinion.
Yeah..especially on the Fiesta. I think the grill is not as well executed on the Focus and Fiesta, because it's too narrow and small. It's clear they are trying to class things up a bit, but sometimes it doesn't execution doesn't always meet with expectations.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Yeah..especially on the Fiesta. I think the grill is not as well executed on the Focus and Fiesta, because it's too narrow and small. It's clear they are trying to class things up a bit, but sometimes it doesn't execution doesn't always meet with expectations.
Could be worse:

Toyota / Scion iQ in an Aston Martin suit for several times the price of the base car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd don't like how ford is trying to keep the same look thru out all their car lines. So if the ST's have a different look as well as the rest of the line up. Ford doesn't need to keep a cohesive look thru their cars, specialy on the ST's & Mustang.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
You can get an SE with cloth seats and rear disk brakes, but you get the 1.0 L EcoBoost instead of the 2.0 L GDI engine ...
Thanks, Suss. I knew that if I was overlooking something in the order guide that you would be one who knew the answer. [thumb]

The configuration you describe would not help in my case, though, because the 2.0 L NA engine would also be one of my requirements. I forgot to mention that because up until the 2015 MY it was the only engine available for the SE. (I guess I should find discussions of the 1.0 L EB option in other threads to put my $0.02 worth there.)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'd don't like how ford is trying to keep the same look thru out all their car lines. So if the ST's have a different look as well as the rest of the line up. Ford doesn't need to keep a cohesive look thru their cars, specialy on the ST's & Mustang.
Me, too. I guess they feel the pressure of "Everybody's doin' it." Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, Audi, VW, Chevrolet, Buick, ... I think Ford is missing an opportunity to stand out from the crowd by giving each model line it's own style.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The problem with trying to homogenize your entire line of cars with one grille is you need to start off with a grille that is aesthetically scalable for compacts/midsize/full size etc.. The Fusion grille is not. It doesn't look right on the Focus and looks completely asinine on the Fiesta. I know I am in the minority but I don't even like that grille on the Fusion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Me, too. I guess they feel the pressure of "Everybody's doin' it." Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, Audi, VW, Chevrolet, Buick, ... I think Ford is missing an opportunity to stand out from the crowd by giving each model line it's own style.
Corporate identity is a big deal in the automotive world. Look at Audi with their large gaping grill, BMW with the kidney shaped grill, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Cadillac....just to name a few. Over time, people come to expect a certain look from the brand and it's that look that really sets it apart from others. As an overall design language, I personally love Aston Martin's svelt body lines and that classic grill which has carried over from the old DB4 of the sixties. Actually the overall looks dates back further, but like most automotive designs, they evolved over time.

Take a look at a DB2, then a DB4, DB7 and DB12. You'll see the pattern of evolution over the decades, but the same design influence is there. Does everyone in the world recognize an Aston Martin when they see one? Could they spot the difference between that and say a Ferrari or Lamborghini or a Porsche? Of course they would, and that's because each manufacturer has it's own unique look. Porsche is another great example of that. The current product coming out of Stuttgart still resembles the old 356 Porsches of yore. Ever since Ford went back to the more classic styling of the Mustang, I perceive that the car has increased in popularity and in sales volume. So in a nutshell, I think this strategy pays off in the long run. There is a risk though. I think it forces manufactures to be very careful not to violate their own brand image by veering to far off the path with each new model year. This can be risky for companies because consumers can be very finicky and are prone to switching brands if you stray to far away from certain design elements.

Companies like Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, understand this and they incorporate their look across all product lines. A Porsche Cayenne SUV, still resembles a 911. The bottom of the line Mercedes C class resembles the top of the line S class models. I don't think any of the American brands in recent years, with the exception perhaps Cadillac have done a very good job of this. It seems like they're a little late to the party, but they're getting it figured out finally. A Ford Focus in Canada looks the same as a Focus in USA as it does in Europe.

So do I hate the Aston grill on the Focus? No...I wouldn't say that I hate it, but I don't prefer it either. I just think that grill looks better on some models than others. I'll miss the WRC look of my 2013 Focus, but in time I'm sure the new look will grow on me.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea, I know their have to switch up the vehicles. I'd rather see them switch up the mechanicals vs a fascia switch up. Like I said many times, Where's the diff/ bbk for the ST's vs fascia changes? I to prefer the earlier look. A few frontends I don't care for are the Acura's, that goofy Lexus front just doesn't cut it on the suv's/cuv's. Can't the different models have their own identity? I'd be working on the performance/ handling/ interior amenities/ fit finish & the materials used.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yea, I know their have to switch up the vehicles. I'd rather see them switch up the mechanicals vs a fascia switch up. Like I said many times, Where's the diff/ bbk for the ST's vs fascia changes? I to prefer the earlier look. A few frontends I don't care for are the Acura's, that goofy Lexus front just doesn't cut it on the suv's/cuv's. Can't the different models have their own identity? I'd be working on the performance/ handling/ interior amenities/ fit finish & the materials used.
Yes, EXACTLY. I owned a 2005 Acura RL and it had a beautiful front end, then they went and ruined it by adding that stupid chrome beak to the front of all their cars. It actually looks hideous. What on earth where those people at Acura thinking?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts