Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT - no problems or problems

• No problems - seems to be fine and I'm happy with it

Votes: 66 47.5%
  • Quirky and odd - but still running. (meaning no problems)

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • Sounds like it's dying, but running. Dealer says it's normal.

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Dead - needed major work and/or replacement at some point (if it's running and still moving, use ans

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
ok, I realize that there are users on here with some serious DCT issues, but there are many users that also have no issues. Without digging to deep into the problem pool, can you honestly and briefly answer the poll?

Wow, this is certainly a very old thread but it was bumped so I just came across it. I have a 2013 Titanium Hatchback w/ the DCT & it’s definitely a very odd driving car & somewhat embarrassing when I have passengers w/ me. I tired of hearing “what’s wrong with your car” or “why is it doing that”.

I’ve had one clutch replacement, numerous ‘flash’ updates & a new TCM, after that failed on the freeway & I lost all power. I managed to drive it off the freeway in first gear, until the tow truck arrived. No loaner car from Ford nor would they cover the cost of a rental, amazing customer service.

Flash forward to last week, I bring it to the dealer & mention ‘shudder on acceleration’. The transmission technician did agree & recommenced a new clutch, but this wouldn’t be covered under any warranty, since my 5yr powertrain warranty has expired, although my Focus has only 38k miles on it. Price out-of-pocket would be $2,200 & no guarantee that the shudder wouldn’t return again. I honestly just shook my head, grabbed my keys & left.

What Ford should do is take care of their customers for their design flaw & replace my clutch for free, because they know & I know that this has nothing to do with me.

Sorry for the rant. Anyone reading this & thinking of buying a 2012-2014 Focus DCT, make sure you check that vehicles carfax & do multiple extended test drives. Heck, ask the dealer if you can take the car for the day. From what I’ve been told all 2012-2016s have issues, however the 2017-2018s are improved , however I’m just basing my comments on what sales people at dealerships have told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow, this is certainly a very old thread but it was bumped so I just came across it. I have a 2013 Titanium Hatchback w/ the DCT & it’s definitely a very odd driving car & somewhat embarrassing when I have passengers w/ me. I tired of hearing “what’s wrong with your car” or “why is it doing that”.

I’ve had one clutch replacement, numerous ‘flash’ updates & a new TCM, after that failed on the freeway & I lost all power. I managed to drive it off the freeway in first gear, until the tow truck arrived. No loaner car from Ford nor would they cover the cost of a rental, amazing customer service.

Flash forward to last week, I bring it to the dealer & mention ‘shudder on acceleration’. The transmission technician did agree & recommenced a new clutch, but this wouldn’t be covered under any warranty, since my 5yr powertrain warranty has expired, although my Focus has only 38k miles on it. Price out-of-pocket would be $2,200 & no guarantee that the shudder wouldn’t return again. I honestly just shook my head, grabbed my keys & left.

What Ford should do is take care of their customers for their design flaw & replace my clutch for free, because they know & I know that this has nothing to do with me.

Sorry for the rant. Anyone reading this & thinking of buying a 2012-2014 Focus DCT, make sure you check that vehicles carfax & do multiple extended test drives. Heck, ask the dealer if you can take the car for the day. From what I’ve been told all 2012-2016s have issues, however the 2017-2018s are improved , however I’m just basing my comments on what sales people at dealerships have told me.

That is not a rant, its an honest opinion about an egregious problem. You and many others, including me, were tired of passengers saying "whats that noise"
I would add to what you said by advising people considering used Focus DCT's even up thru 2016 to search and read first, before putting down your hard-earned money.
There was a post on this site in the last week, from a new used owner saying he wished he had found this website before buying, same problems for him.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is not a rant, its an honest opinion about an egregious problem. You and many others, including me, were tired of passengers saying "whats that noise"
I would add to what you said by advising people considering used Focus DCT's even up thru 2016 to search and read first, before putting down your hard-earned money.
There was a post on this site in the last week, from a new used owner saying he wished he had found this website before buying, same problems for him.
And this is the issue of car-buyers in general - no one ever really reads up what they're buying and any potential issues before they put it their hard-earned money.

I have read that even 2018 DCT-equipped Focuses have issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FordFocus/comments/8oqw81/2018_focus_transmission_shudder/

I would avoid any Ford DCTs other than the 1.0L 6-speed automatic or the 5/6-speed manual-equipped cars.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
And this is the issue of car-buyers in general - no one ever really reads up what they're buying and any potential issues before they put it their hard-earned money.

I have read that even 2018 DCT-equipped Focuses have issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FordFocus/comments/8oqw81/2018_focus_transmission_shudder/

I would avoid any Ford DCTs other than the 1.0L 6-speed automatic. Or the 5/5-speed manual-equipped cars.
I agree with you to a certain extent but at some point the manufacturer has an obligation to the consumer. If there is a problem, either fix it, do a recall or whatever. Instead owners have been jacked around to a fare-thee-well. The only thing I thought was fair and appropriate was when they extended their warranty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with you to a certain extent but at some point the manufacturer has an obligation to the consumer. If there is a problem, either fix it, do a recall or whatever. Instead owners have been jacked around to a fare-thee-well. The only thing I thought was fair and appropriate was when they extended their warranty.
What Ford has done is unacceptable and the reputation of the DCT probably helped sink the reputation of their small cars and played a factor in the elimination of small Ford cars from North American market. I believe there have been class action lawsuits on Ford DCTs.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/52510-ford-hit-with-class-action-over-fiesta-focus-transmission-defect/

https://windsorstar.com/business/local-business/local-woman-joins-class-action-suit-against-ford

Still, consumers are better off really looking into what they are buying before actually making a purchase. I avoid Nissan knowing that their high failure rate on CVTs relative to other manufacturers' CVTs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What Ford has done is unacceptable and the reputation of the DCT probably helped sink the reputation of their small cars and played a factor in the elimination of small Ford cars from North American market. I believe there have been class action lawsuits on Ford DCTs.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/52510-ford-hit-with-class-action-over-fiesta-focus-transmission-defect/

https://windsorstar.com/business/local-business/local-woman-joins-class-action-suit-against-ford

Still, consumers are better off really looking into what they are buying before actually making a purchase. I avoid Nissan knowing that their high failure rate on CVTs relative to other manufacturers' CVTs.
agree but think they are chasing SUV and truck sales with their changes, and since oil cycles up and down, they may come to regret the move.

·
Registered
821 Posts

It’s my own fault for not doing the proper on the car before I bought it. I knew that there were transmission issues on the 2012s, however I figured the 2013s would be fine & that Ford would’ve worked out all of the gremlins on the first year of the refresh, but boy was I wrong.

Also, I must add that I bought the car because it looked stylish & I liked the body style & somewhat ignored the possible transmission issues, which can be terrible reasons to buy a car. Had I done my homework properly I would’ve known that the 2013s were still having issues & I could’ve kept the ‘05 XZ5 SES that I had (which ran perfectly) and also saved about 17k out-of-pocket. It still makes me sick, although this ‘13 is still a good looking car.

Sure, I could trade it in or take it to CarMax but I’ll take such a big loss that I really don’t want to give it away & then I’d still have to spend another 8-10k to buy something else right? It’s not worth it, so I’d rather just keep driving it & would love for Ford to setup & cover the new clutch costs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It’s my own fault for not doing the proper on the car before I bought it. I knew that there were transmission issues on the 2012s, however I figured the 2013s would be fine & that Ford would’ve worked out all of the gremlins on the first year of the refresh, but boy was I wrong.

Also, I must add that I bought the car because it looked stylish & I liked the body style & somewhat ignored the possible transmission issues, which can be terrible reasons to buy a car. Had I done my homework properly I would’ve known that the 2013s were still having issues & I could’ve kept the ‘05 XZ5 SES that I had (which ran perfectly) and also saved about 17k out-of-pocket. It still makes me sick, although this ‘13 is still a good looking car.

Sure, I could trade it in or take it to CarMax but I’ll take such a big loss that I really don’t want to give it away & then I’d still have to spend another 8-10k to buy something else right? It’s not worth it, so I’d rather just keep driving it & would love for Ford to setup & cover the new clutch costs.

I hear you and am sorry what what Ford has saddled you and many others with. I consider myself very fortunate to have traded out before the issues became known to all other dealers. I got a good trade-in for my 2012 Focus on a 2013 Mazda 3 and also a good price on it.
This forum gets all the credit because I watched and learned from all the people with issues like me, then saw them helped by ford cust.svc reps who used to be here and then saw them come back, fixes didn't last. I decided that Ford actually didn't have a fix and to get out while the getting was good.
Aside from the DCT problems, the Focus was sharp-looking, quick, economical and a lot of car for the price. I have read about Hyundai and Dodge having problems with their own dry dual clutches and in my opinion, only the wet dual clutch is a viable idea.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I drove a 12 Focus SE for almost 100k miles --5 clutch packs 1 TCM all paid for by FORD & a $$ payout when running right great car!! Why dis Ford not fix & improve no cancel beats me --I traded when out of extended warranty for a mustang!! ( luv it) but the Focus DCT is a terrific car!!

81 - 89 of 89 Posts