Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT - no problems or problems

• No problems - seems to be fine and I'm happy with it

Votes: 66 47.5%
  • Quirky and odd - but still running. (meaning no problems)

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • Sounds like it's dying, but running. Dealer says it's normal.

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Dead - needed major work and/or replacement at some point (if it's running and still moving, use ans

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
No offense Woggy but the construction of your poll is flawed. Choice 4 is:

"Dead - needed major work and/or replacement at some point [but] if it's running and still moving, use answer 3"

and yet answer 3 states:

"Sounds like it's dying, but running. Dealer says it's normal."

By the way you constructed your poll, anybody who has had major work done but got their car running again and back on the road should choose answer 3. You are lumping everybody who has had major work done in with people who have never had any work done but think it sounds like it is dying

By the way you worded your poll, only cars that are dead and permanently parked should choose answer 4. I doubt that anybody has a 2012, 2013 or 2014 Focus that is permanently out of service because the DCT can't be fixed.

So reading your poll literally, nobody should ever choose answer 4.

Here is what I would go with:
_________________________________________________________________________________________

1. No problems - seems to be fine and I'm happy with it

2. Quirky and odd - but still running. No software updates performed.

3. Shuddering and/or grinding but running. No work other than software updates performed. Dealer says it's operating within parameters.

4. Major repair performed or in process of or waiting for repair (seals, clutch pack, solenoids) or complete transmission replacement

5. Sold it or traded it in because I got tired of dealing with the DCT issue.
I agree and understand I am answering older posts here. The poll is a great idea and no surpsrie, shows the majority have no problems.
But the question spread should be wider between everything s fine and car is dead.
There is a whole area of owners who have been in to the dealer 3-4-5 times with no final fix.
To them its not fine, not quirky and not dead.

·
Registered
108 Posts
2014 focus with powershift dct. the only problem with mine is that it shakes, shudders and hesitates when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Other than that, my car has been a jewel

·
Registered
15 Posts
'13 Titanium Focus

I have noticed the typical jittering type shifting in lower gears. Sport mode seems to be a lot smoother.

I had one bad incident after a 50 mile highway drive, I felt very rough low gear shifts and while I was trying to park I completely lost Reverse gear (reverse acted as neutral). I guess it was a software hiccup, I restarted the car and it went back to normal.

I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just lost the TCM in my 2012. Car is fixed now, but I'm done with it. Ordered a 2016 WRX and as soon as it comes in the Focus is gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will ford just give up on the dct it only give a 10% effiency increase witch isn't worth all the crazy serious problems on a practically brand new car

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dead - needed major work and/or replacement.

Total trans failure apparently with a broken first gear. I go back and forward to work everyday with this thing, it is not a leisure car. Warranty apparently doens't apply. (poll closed so can't vote)

EDIT: Ended up costing me five thousand dollars to fix. Ford did absolutely nothing to help. I would advise steering clear of Ford with regard to the DCT AND their absolutely terrible service. Being outright ignored by regional managers is NOT how you do business.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine was fine, until 22k miles and shuddered after city driving, thjen would eb OK on highway. Took it to dealer for the 'latest' update, and it's fine now, and will get new clutch packs.

I just want the new 'flash' to "stick"!

·
Registered
111 Posts
60% Failure Rate in our family

2011 Fiesta-no problems @ 40K
2012 Focus-severe shuddering @ 30K-traded in car
2013 Fiesta-new clutch and seals @ 15K
2014 Focus Job 1-new clutch & seals @ 7K
2014 Focus Job 2-reset ECM @ 19K, shudders infrequently

Overall pretty dismal!

·
Registered
367 Posts
FWIW, Fiat-Chrysler's 9 speed is having teething pains too.

Do we want CVT's? Or 4 speed automatics?

I will wait for the new clutch pack and see how it is. And I won't "dump" the car. May has well burn cash. Did that before for superficial reasons, i.e. "having a new car to show off to car guy friends".

·
Registered
762 Posts
10% is a lot. They need to iron out the bugs, that's all. But they need to be more forthcoming about it as well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
68K miles. Alleged blown DCT transmission. Replacement cost from Ford = just shy of $5k. (in PA). Was working fine until two days prior when I started having issues pulling away (delayed response on clutch engagement), and two or three 'bangs' pulling away. Next thing I know, the car is screeching and I take it to Ford where they tell me I need a new trans.

Car is at 68K miles and the only thing they offered to do is expedite the parts. Even in that they failed at. They have ignored my emails, even ignored the evidence presented to them (They didn't even bother to watch the youtube videos I took the time to edit a upload).

Their claim is that the only thing it could be is a shift drum, which ... and get this... has nothing to do with the TCM. Oh really... so what exactly decides how to shift?

Secondly... The car IS ALREADY ENGAGED in first gear so why it cannot 'engage first gear' is a little interesting... but hey what do I know? I've only worked on car's since I was 17 (20 years) rebuilt cars from the frame up, turbo'd non-turbo engines, engine replacements etc etc.. you get the idea.

Unless it's in warranty Ford will not even attempt to help you. Words are cheap, action is not... hence... oh well, they would rather lose a potential customer (and yes I was genuinely thinking about swapping to an ST before all this happened, and my wife actually needs a new mini-van/SUV), than try their best help.

They wouldn't even help with technical assistance to ensure I actually needed the trans.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Car is running better since driving more away from city, and doing the 'scrubbing' when entering the Interstate. After 20 mins of stop and go it seems to act up, but I try to use the S mode and select shift to move through the gears.

Perfect? no, but I'm not going to 'dump it'.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
"Will ford just give up on the dct it only give a 10% effiency increase witch isn't worth all the crazy serious problems on a practically brand new car"

While I could not name anything that would be "worth" the DCT problems I've seen discussed on here, in the media and so on, I got to say that the driving experience with a DCT that is performing as it is meant to perform is totally enjoyable, fun and unique to my experience with other compact cars.

But the irony is that many (most ?) American drivers of compact cars do not want a unique driving experience. They want something from which to text and to talk on the phone while getting from point A to point B.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That's why most cars are just appliances.

I used to want an appliance. At 34, drama doesn't appeal to me anymore. Almost got a plain basic one...was even looking at Corollas. But I test drove this Focus SE/Appearance and loved it. I don't know if the suspension is tuned a little or it's just the 17" wheels and traction control but it corners like it's on rails and I love it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have absolutely no issues with my DCT. It's been running great since the beginning. I have to say that it is even more refined than my last 2012 Focus SE and the 2011 Fiesta SE I currently have, both with older DCT's.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
boo i want to see who voted what! that way if you wanted to ask someone a question who had an issue you could!
All polls should probably be this way. That way if everybody has some valid opinion on the matter they can be readily identified and share their own specific info.

This is the most potentially useful polling question I've ever seen on here, and it could be a fantastic long term thread if it were amended to include voter ID.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
88 responses, with 58 comments to date.

Pretty high percentage compared to other polls.

System only allows one poll response per member, so no-one can skew the poll intentionally.

If you can't tell the vote by the response posted, I doubt requiring the response to show the vote (not possible now) would help.

For all this is considered a major & widespread problem by many on this site, the Focus did NOT make the latest "15 lemons" list I read yesterday when following some links.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts