Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in my focus had a catastrophic failure and was drove with very low to no oil pressure at all. Needless to say I either need to find a rebuild kit if any available or a low mile used engine which I have been able to find plenty of at reasonable prices. I wanted to build up the 2.0L that is on my car. Does anyone know of rebuild kits for these engines ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have thought about doing a set of cams and wanted to turbo my engine or the replacement is there anyone who sells a turbo header for the 2.0 ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
What were the circumstances of the failure, out of curiosity?

Also you could probably piece together most of a rebuild kit on RockAuto, or you could check salvage yards, every once in a blue moon they'll get a totalled lower mileage car in. I've often thought of pulling one just to mess with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link... can't wait till they are available for sale on their website... I think something happened with the oil pump and spun a bearing. Haven't torn into it was going to remove and replace with amother low mile engine found a few on ebay. Really thought about an st swap

·
FF Affiliate
30,474 Posts
That's what I was thinking lol... just not sure if swapping in a st would be better than building a 2.0
Wouldnt be , you would be way ahead of the program doing a built Engine and adding a good Turbo kit and the sky/money would be the limit

ST turbo sucks and would need to be changed first thing , then piping , down pipe , then intercooler and now you have changed the entire turbo kit less manifold and down the road if you going north of 500 you would have to change the head and buy a Turbo manifold

Why do a ST swap , throw half of the swap away right out of the box and install all the things you would have to do with adding a Turbo kit to yours

ST swap is a waste and more of a waste if your going for any decent power

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey tom, I can understand what you mean. I am trying to weigh out all my options as to which is the best along with most cost effective. Rather to rebuild the engine in my car depending on the damage or find another fairly low mile replacement and throw a turbo on it with your tuner and tune. As for power I want to be somewhere in the 220-250 range.

Your turbo kit looks amazing and very high quality I just simply can't afford 4700 . I have a mechanical background and have owned turbo'd cars. I had a 88 thunderbird turbo coupe and a 93 ranger I swapped a turbo engine into along with the trans and ecu.

I don't know how much power these 2.0L duratec's can handle in stock form I was planning to keep the boost around 8 psi.

Also not sure what kind of power the DCT can handle. I am wanting to have a little more power but still have driveability and reliability as this car is a daily driver. The trans has 143,000 on it

·
FF Affiliate
30,474 Posts
With the 4700.00 kit is the XCAL and Boost Custom Tune which cost right at 1000.00 that cost will be there either way

That comes down to a 3200.00 Turbo kit shipped is 3500.00 just so you can see how the cost breaks down , if you figure anything for labor you cant make it for 3200.00

The DCT will hold your goal , I say that because there is 2 that are over 1.5 and 2 years now with Turbo still running 4 more with 4-8 months so far

220-250 to the wheels from what I have seen so far is with in what the stock Engine can take

Let me know if I can help any with your build which ever way you choose

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Wouldnt be , you would be way ahead of the program doing a built Engine and adding a good Turbo kit and the sky/money would be the limit

ST turbo sucks and would need to be changed first thing , then piping , down pipe , then intercooler and now you have changed the entire turbo kit less manifold and down the road if you going north of 500 you would have to change the head and buy a Turbo manifold

Why do a ST swap , throw half of the swap away right out of the box and install all the things you would have to do with adding a Turbo kit to yours

ST swap is a waste and more of a waste if your going for any decent power

Tom
Rebuilding an engine will cost more then just buying a running, low miles one...unless you are mechanically inclined and doing a lot of the work.

I disagree completely with Toms comments.. the st engine is great and the turbo while small, with stage 2mods can still put out 280ish whp....I dont know what hes taking about building up the 2.0 engine...there is not a lot of parts to do it, and what is available is either mostly for racing purposes, or just flat out crazy expensive...Toms turbo kit looks good but no power numbers, so it would be pure speculation at this point on the numbers

·
FF Affiliate
30,474 Posts
Agree the ST engine is great but look what it takes to swap it over vs building whats there , Pistons and rods as well as ARP head and main studs are out there for the NA Focus engine
Then you have to throw all the ST Turbo kit in the trash and spend 2500-3500+ more to upgrade the turbo , piping , down pipe ,intercooler , If later you want north of 500 you have to change the head and buy a turbo manifold

My Turbo kit has made 240hp to the wheels ,I guarantee to anyone that buys it no less then 230hp and that it will make more as he goes up in boost and Tune

With the power goals your looking to make I would buy a low mile used engine and either one of my Turbo kits for the MK3 will make your goals , I guarantee it !

Im looking at cost and labor and every time I figure it the ST would cost more and take a lot more time but thats me , your Focus , your Money you have to do whats best for you

FFHB13 I respect your opinions , have you sit down and done the math both ways and if you have whats your totals for both ?
Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
You'll want to do rods/pistons= I'd redo what you already have vs finding another motor. Another possibly is a 23/25 swap.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Another possibly is a 23/25 swap.
I don't believe that is correct. There is no Direct Injection 2.3 or 2.5. AFAIK, there is also no timing chain that is simultaneously compatible with the 2.0 Ti-VCT architecture and is long enough to work on the 2.3/2.5 deck height. I don't think that you can use the Ti-VCT controller on port injection without major headaches, so a straight swap is probably not in the cards with a complete rewire of the car.

Maybe you could do some mix-n-match with cam drive gears and stuff, I don't know, but it certainly isn't a well known path that can be followed.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
Yea IK the '12+ cars are ti-vct,di. Thought it was possibly to throw a older 23/25 motor in w/ the harness, ect. As there has been a st motor swap to a mk1.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Felix, rods and pistons... I havent even seen anything for the MK3, and thats big time cash, anyone thats building up an engines internals better have at least 8 to 10 grand handy.

Yellowfocus, another option is stay all motor... get a running engine, do the 180 thermostat, theres esslinger cams soon, do that later.. intake, header, 2.5 exhaust, Toms tuning (that alone for some guys puts them around 175 to 194whp big range I know, but the 194 guy is dct too which usually they have -5whp less then manual cars) take the head off the pooched engine, get it ported and polished..it flows great but there is still improvements to be made.

Tom, you are right that swapping an ST egine is a lot of work, especially having to convert to 6 speed as well.. some people like me cant go manual because of wife so I have to work with the DCT...going all motor is intriging to me now that some guys are approaching 200whp all motor without cams and any internal work.... my 2003 ecotec sunfire was around 255whp (140hp stock) but had a lot more work, balance shaft delete kit, stage 2 cams, homemade P&P head, oversize valves, etc etc

·
FF Affiliate
30,474 Posts
Felix, rods and pistons... I havent even seen anything for the MK3, and thats big time cash, anyone thats building up an engines internals better have at least 8 to 10 grand handy.
Built Engine for boost would be about half that 8,000.00 cost

Tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts