Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heres my invoice from the dealership
Thanks. However, my Focus has 188k miles on it, so I'm well outside of my warranty period. This is my girlfriend's car and she purchased it from a local Ford dealership with 145k miles already on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
h t t p s ://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/07/09/ford-motor-company-issues-safety-recall.pdf

(my post count is too low to include the link; remove the spaces in the "https" portion)

Apparently the software fix for recall 18S32 was not complete and effective. Recall 19S22 has been issued on some 2012 and 2017 vehicles.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The powertrain control module software used to service these vehicles in accordance with safety recall 18S32 was incomplete.
Vehicles that have not yet had safety recall 18S32 service performed are not affected by this action and will receive updated software when they are serviced under the existing 18S32 program.
Is this an update to the previous 18S32 program?

The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S22.
I never took my car in for 18S32 because of the following message:

I'm a little confused here by this new Recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been following this website for a few years (thanks everyone by the way) and finally decided to sign up.
I heard about the recall on the news yesterday, so I decided to check the status of my 2012 SEL on the owner.ford website. Turns out that I am affected by the FSA 18S32 from Oct 2018; but I never received anything from Ford in the mail. (I had to have my clutch replaced for 14M01 and 14M02 in August 2018 - just before the deadline.) I called the mail Ford support number and got the runaround, telling me to contact the DMV about my license and address. (Ummmmmm...okay. I haven't moved and I got other notices fine.) The rep connected me through to the dealership that replaced my clutch and I explained the situation and what recall/ FSA it is and they scheduled me for next week...with the transmission tech. I'm wondering if they think this is regarding the previous TCM/ clutch recall.

TL;DR: My local dealer is going to have the transmission tech check my car regarding the fuel tank deformation recall. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Novus,
Ford has a "repair" procedure for 18S32. After checking a few things, they replace the purge valve and update the software. Apparently, the software update was wrong for a few specific cars.

Note that unless they replace the fuel tank, the DTE and fuel gauge will still be off. In fact, just this past Friday (July 5th) I ran out of fuel despite the DTE indicator stating that I had 22 miles to empty and the fuel gauge was above zero. After having the 18S32 service performed 2 weeks ago, I was testing to see if the DTE indicator was now more accurate. Then again, the 19S22 recall may end up fixing this since I probably have one of the affected vehicles (2012 Focus SE).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Novus,
Ford has a "repair" procedure for 18S32. After checking a few things, they replace the purge valve and update the software. Apparently, the software update was wrong for a few specific cars.
Slight correction - they only replace the purge valve if there's an issue. In my case, they only updated the PCM software.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Slight correction - they only replace the purge valve if there's an issue. In my case, they only updated the PCM software.
True, but there are several ways to get them to replace the valve, per Ford:

1. Check for DTCs P0420, P1450, P0443, P0452, P0456, P0460 and/or P2196.
2. Check for customer complaints regarding any of the following?
---inaccurate fuel gauge indication
---inaccurate DTE
---drivability concerns such as hesitation, rough idle, or loss of power
3. Check for available powertrain control module (PCM) software update and reprogram the PCM using IDS Release 111.04 or higher. Some vehicles may already have the latest software.
4. If Yes for steps #1 or #2 above:
---replace the CPV
---inspect evaporative emissions vapor canister for liquid fuel, and replace if present
---inspect fuel tank for signs of deformation (the allowable specification (25mm or 1inch, upward), and replace the fuel tank and fuel delivery module if present.
I assume (and I probably shouldn't) that most folks within this recall have one or more of the issues in #1 or #2.

·
Registered
970 Posts
True, but there are several ways to get them to replace the valve, per Ford:

I assume (and I probably shouldn't) that most folks within this recall have one or more of the issues in #1 or #2.
I'd assume the opposite from dealers. If your car isn't throwing the right code, they'll do like with mine - update your software and send you away. I got sick of these constant evap valve threads, so I recently spent $40 and replaced mine. I figured my original was overdue for failing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just had my recall done. 18S32.

Paper work says: "Check for codes non found, Reprogrammed PCM.

I never run my car down to, or towards Empty, as a rule. Hope I don't have accuracy issues?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just got my notice last week that the update and parts were available. And, the dealership where I bought my car (the closest one to where I live) is under new ownership. I got an appointment for Thursday. I'll let you folks know the outcome of my visit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The place I went to, is a place I worked at many years back. They moved into a state of the art facility since I worked for them.

I bought some trans fluid from them a couple of years ago. Other than that, I've not had them ever work on my car.
The people on the phone, and in person were fairly pleasant. I even took advantage of the shuttle home, then had them shuttle me back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got the work done, but the "customer service" was terrible. Here is what the work statement says:

Replace CPV, inspect tank and canister-pass, reprogram PCM.

The only evidence I can find is the date and time on my Sync1 system was way off (by 2 and half years and several hours).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Got the work done, but the "customer service" was terrible. Here is what the work statement says:

Replace CPV, inspect tank and canister-pass, reprogram PCM.
Why "terrible?" If they don't find an issue, they update your PCM and send you on your way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I waited 20 minutes, without updates, for a ride to work. Then I waited 10 minutes for them to pull my car around when I picked it up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm just thankful I have not had any problems with my car compared to my daughter with her 2017 Edge. She just took it in with the latest problem, the latest is $2100 repair. Supposedly covered under the emissions warranty.

I think she has probably had $10,000 worth of warranty work since she bought the Edge. I feel pretty fortunate that I've really only had this recall, and a little rattle in a plastic panel.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Ford's quality control seems to be slipping as of late.

Glad I bought a good one since it's likely the last Ford I'll buy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So Tom and I just started the tuning process again, and on my very first datalog, the short term fuel trim was showing the engine going lean. I had a value of up to 1.25, which I take is 25% lean? 1.00 is lambda if I'm not mistaken.

Just before we restarted the process, I'm noticing an intermittent hum/whine coming from under the car. Fuel pump dying? I did a datalog yesterday and the fuel trim had gone up to 1.47 during the 5 minute idle. Issue shows up after the engine warms up 1/4. I'm surprised the fuel trim being that high doesn't set a CEL. That's very lean. Sooner or later probably.

I replaced the purge valve earlier in the spring when I heard the ticking and had intermittent lean. Dealer did the recall during clutch diagnostic. Fuel tank passed inspection. I'm not sure how hard this is to replace.

I've also had intermittent loss of power on rare occasions the past couple months, and a couple instances of erratic shifts/poor throttle response. Dealer just replaced my TCM during clutch replacement despite the fact that it hasn't failed. Starting to think my TCM was fine and the fuel pump made the tranny go AWOL a couple timesmn

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
So Tom and I just started the tuning process again, and on my very first datalog, the short term fuel trim was showing the engine going lean. I had a value of up to 1.25, which I take is 25% lean? 1.00 is lambda if I'm not mistaken.

Just before we restarted the process, I'm noticing an intermittent hum/whine coming from under the car. Fuel pump dying? I did a datalog yesterday and the fuel trim had gone up to 1.47 during the 5 minute idle. Issue shows up after the engine warms up 1/4. I'm surprised the fuel trim being that high doesn't set a CEL. That's very lean. Sooner or later probably.

I replaced the purge valve earlier in the spring when I heard the ticking and had intermittent lean. Dealer did the recall during clutch diagnostic. Fuel tank passed inspection. I'm not sure how hard this is to replace.

I've also had intermittent loss of power on rare occasions the past couple months, and a couple instances of erratic shifts/poor throttle response. Dealer just replaced my TCM during clutch replacement despite the fact that it hasn't failed. Starting to think my TCM was fine and the fuel pump made the tranny go AWOL a couple timesmn

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile
Interesting. Keep us posted. Aren't there are two fuel pumps on these vehicles due to the high pressure needed for the DI? Do you know which pump seems to be going?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Interesting. Keep us posted. Aren't there are two fuel pumps on these vehicles due to the high pressure needed for the DI? Do you know which pump seems to be going?
My understanding (could be wrong) is that the high pressure pump is on the engine itself. The fuel tank also has its own pump inside of it. The sound appears to be coming from under the car on the passenger side (which is where the tank is obviously).

So probably the tank pump which makes sense given that the faulty purge can damage it. Will have to see what Tom thinks. Just sent him that datalog. Could be fuel filter too. If so I'd like to know how hard it is to change.

Pump looks expensive. Hate to have to be at the dealer given I was just there, but lean isn't good for engine or cat.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/17HgI3Y2TZA

Here is the noise! Does your car do this? You can hear it sitting in the cabin. Really don't think this was here before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 162 Posts