Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
For years I have suspected that the DCT has gotten blamed for many problems that were not due to its faulty design and software (e.g., a load of bad gas), in addition to all the ones that were its fault.
So what you're saying is, pick up a bunch of used low mileage focuses? [poke]

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had my '14 since new and I feel like the most I've ever gotten into the tank filling it was 11.7 gallons. I ran it out of gas one time a few months into ownership (dumb, I know) and I had driven about 11 miles after it switched to zero, in city traffic. I've always assumed the DTE is going to be off just based on driving conditions, and I usually fill up with 20 or so miles left and end up putting around 11 gallons in, leaving 1.5 gallons in the 12.5 gallon tank. Seems about what I'd expect, but from what I've seen in the other posts people are expecting scientific results?

Anyway, over the last year or so the idle has become more rough and I almost feel like I can feel it "cut" out ever so slightly when accelerating. Never had an issue with stalling after filling up, and I fill it until it clicks every time. I called Ford to schedule an oil change (70k [thumb]) and mentioned the recall, they have me scheduled for tomorrow... They quoted me 4-5 hours without the car, so I'm interested to see what they end up doing. I filled up tonight on my way home from work without thinking about it, so hopefully that doesn't skew my repair.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread with the result from the dealership. Like I said in my previous post, I had filled up the night before I took it in. The morning I took it I checked and it looks like my gas tank was warped slightly, but definitely resting on the support. I attached a photo.

When I picked up the car, they told me my valve was good as well as the tank. They performed the reprogram and completed it. I'll keep tabs on the tank and if I have any issues I know the valve is easy to change. I attached a pic of the RO.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread with the result from the dealership. ...
Thank you.

... Like I said in my previous post, I had filled up the night before I took it in. The morning I took it I checked and it looks like my gas tank was warped slightly, but definitely resting on the support. I attached a photo. When I picked up the car, they told me my valve was good as well as the tank. ...
Have you looked at the tank when it is not full? I have been keeping the tank no less than half full as the letter from Ford recommends, but plan to run it down to the last gallon before taking it in so they can get an accurate measurement.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
So what you're saying is, pick up a bunch of used low mileage focuses? [poke]
I may be missing a joke here, but how did you arrive at that from what I said?

On the other hand, I have wondered if someone could make money by doing that. Get them really cheap with obviosly bad DCTs. Remanufacture the trans with all the latest parts, install Tom's tune, and sell them at a profit.

Tom responded, reasonably, that he was not interested in getting into selling used cars when I asked him about this possibility a while back. Maybe someone who is already in that business could team up with an independent repair shop.

·
Registered
226 Posts

On the other hand, I have wondered if someone could make money by doing that. Get them really cheap with obviosly bad DCTs. Remanufacture the trans with all the latest parts, install Tom's tune, and sell them at a profit.

Tom responded, reasonably, that he was not interested in getting into selling used cars when I asked him about this possibility a while back. Maybe someone who is already in that business could team up with an independent repair shop.
I wonder if a buyer believes the tune is loaded and then that's how you make more money off of it? Seems to me like bypassing the transmission issues would indeed help alleviate the dropped value of the car because of these problems.

I thought I heard someone say with the problems the car was worth a measly $3k.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got my car back from bringing it in to the dealer for the recall. I told the service manager that I had already replaced the purge valve hose, but she said they'd be replacing it anyway. I went to look and...no, they didn't replace anything. It's still definitely the hose I put in. Good ol' Ford service!

·
Registered
5,899 Posts

I think that's a stretch since if it was that easy Ford woul've fixed them instead of damaging their reputation and extending all those warranties.
Plus if this was an actual thing and widespread then it would be known since it couldn't be a closely guarded secret.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think that's a stretch since if it was that easy Ford woul've fixed them instead of damaging their reputation and extending all those warranties.
Plus if this was an actual thing and widespread then it would be known since it couldn't be a closely guarded secret.
The solution to the problem of stalling engines and deforming gas tanks appears to be fairly "easy" (technically, if not logistically), but look how long it has taken Ford to get that fixed, despite any damage it has caused their reputation during the wait. The bigger a company is the harder it is for it to move quickly and effectively. Smaller organizations (like Tom's) have other problems, but no that one.

The complexity of the DCT takes that to a whole other level, but I'd feel guilty discussing that any further in this thread. (Are there any topics in the Mk3 section that do not evetually veer into discussions about the DCT, if not being totally derailed by them?)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I got the letter about this recall from Ford over six months ago that said they would notify me by mail when parts became available so I could make an appointment with a dealer to install them. Has anyone (especially in the SF Bay area) received that second letter yet? This keeping the tank at least half full is getting old.

I just checked the website (https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls/results.html) and got this:

Recalls
Find or add a vehicle
We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.
VIN:1FADP3F28el######
<Search recalls for another vehicle
Last updated 06/06/2019

Recall Date: OCT 22, 2018
Recall Title: FUEL TANK DEFORMATION
NHTSA Recall Number: 18V735
Ford Recall Number: 18S32

Meanwhile, it appears that I can order the purge valve from Amazon.com or White Bear Lake Ford on my own. How is it that they can get that part if it is not yet available to dealers? Old, down-level parts vs the latest revision level? Or just big company SNAFU -- what we have here is a failure to communicate?

I guess after I do my currently due oil change myself I'll go to a dealer and find out what's going on with them for this recall.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my purge valve replaced friday, got it inspected and passed yay. But after gassi g the car up. Light back on. What the hell?!?!??! Going back up to dealership tomorrow for another purge valve swap

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dealership just finished this recall for me. They only replaced the valve (after I had already replaced it in March of '18). They found no evidence of fuel in the canister and the tank deformation did not meet the 1" requirement. Software was updated.

Has anyone had their fuel tank replaced? I have not heard of anyone getting the tank replaced under this recall yet.

My DTE indicator would show roughly 19 miles remaining before the car would run out of fuel. Has anyone had this issue fixed by the recall repair work?

I also had a P0420 CEL. They would not replace the catalytic converter under this recall. Bummer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar story.
No check engine light, had recall serviced. Attended to software, but no part replacement. Month later, check engine light appears. DTC (0170) I replace part (# BV6Z-9D289-R). Same day, check engine light is back. Been throwing (0170) ever since. I clear it everyday. Wondering if I got a faulty valve from the Ford Dealer?
What end being your solution?

121 - 140 of 162 Posts